Issues of the LGBT community in Australia... (1 Viewer)

Tangent

HSC
I hate this term "LGBT"

why do the gays want to lower themselves to the level of transexuals, who can be considered nothing more than people with severely screwed up minds who want to harm themselves.
you lack an open mind. I've met a couple transexuals, and they were nice. If they want a sex change, or want to dress like the opposite gender then its up to them. You disgust me way more then they ever could. Are you human?

You haven't established what is actually unfair about the descrimination taking place.

Now this may seem like an outrageous sort of statement to make, but let me explain.

Descrimination refers to observing the differences between things. Over time, it has come to be known as a more repugnant work, synonamous with ostracisation and abuse etc.

What I mean by that is that if a heterosexual union is indeed demonstratably different to a union between two people of the same sex, then why shouldn't it be treated differently?
There is no difference relating to relationships, other than the inability to have children, which is the same as infertile couples and those who've had surgery (bisectomy) and those who choose not to have children (which IS a lifestyle choice)

Civil marriage refers to government recognition of a union. It entites those registered under the marriage registry to various (rather minor) tax breaks.

As I have repeatetdly stated, civil marriage represents the governments stamp of approval on private unions it deeps to be special and worthy of attention and freebies. I have already established the principle reason why the government does this is that heterosexual marriages provide soceity with and care for throughout adolesence, the next generation of people. The protection of childrens welfare is a vital state interest, hence the judtification for special privledges and status.
Sure that just isn't an excuse? Marriage means so much more than that, its more than legal terminology. Sure, the government my not care about the majority getting married, but id say the individual members care, as they would go to weddings, or be getting married themselves.

Civil marriage, as has been stated by others, is also a sort of contract between the two parties. (However this two, for example the paying of child support in the case of a divorce etc, is intended for the benefit of children that may develop from the union).

Civil marriage is not about love at all.

Private marriage, is the celebration of love. That is what you and your partner organise, at a Church or someplace else, with the cake, the rings and the party etc etc

I can be privately married, so to speak, but not register on the marriage register, and not have my union recognised as a (civil) marriage, by the government. The opposite also holds, I can register as married, etc, without having to exchange rings, or do the marriage ceremony.

Your point about love is moot therfore on two levels.

i) The granting of civil marraige status by the government has nothing to do with a recognition of or a public display of love/committment.

ii) Gays can already celebrate their love, and commit to each other, in marriage ceremonies, which in every way resemble that of heterosexual marriage ceremonies.
Fair enough, same sex couple can still get married, they just wont be recognised in Australia. What message is that sending to people? That same sex marriage isnt valued as highly as heterosexual marriage. It would cause no harm, and simplify a lot of legalities if the government allowed same sex marriage. But no, for some reason, the government on both side are strongly against same-sex marriage. Not just mildly against, but strongly.

"As soon as a person is legally entitled, he or she has the right to marry and have a family. In doing this, neither the colour of your skin, the country you come from nor your religion should be impediments. Men and women have the same rights when they are married and also when they are separated.
Nobody should force a person to marry.
The government of your country should protect you and the members of your family." -childrens version of UDHR

I don't think you have a clue what it is like to be discriminated against, judged before people get to know you, or someone saying you cant do something just because of the way you are (i think that Malfoy-Sama illustrates that point). It hurts. Same-sex marriage is talked about like its something dirty. When there is discrimination, there are people who think that its ok to treat people like they are some sort of disease, some disgusting mutuation of human life. Is this how we want to bring up children, closing their minds to the world, encouraging them to hate instead of understand? Obviously equality and understanding are too much to ask for from some people.

Name_Taken

HSC
I agree with you on LGBT, but for a different reason. There are a whole heap of other things which aren't covered like adrogyny, asexuality, and pretty much anything that falls under genderfuck theory.
Isn't LGBT meant to encompass the lot tho? I thought that was the idea with the rainbow, it was meant to be sybmolic of the whole "spectrum".

While on this, does anyone know the difference between a polysexual, and a pansexual? Is it just like a fancy name of bi, or is there something else to it?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
LGBT is meant to, but it doesn't. The rainbow symbol however, is closer to the point than the term itself.

Bisexual implies that there are only two types of sex. Hence the two other terms refer to a more ambiguous scale of sexualities. Pan sexuality is attracted to all types of sex. Poly is to more than 1, although in this instance, usually refers to more than two, but not all types of sex.

Tangent

HSC
I agree with you on LGBT, but for a different reason. There are a whole heap of other things which aren't covered like adrogyny, asexuality, and pretty much anything that falls under genderfuck theory.
LGBTQI - lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex

Tangent

HSC
LGBT is meant to, but it doesn't. The rainbow symbol however, is closer to the point than the term itself.

Bisexual implies that there are only two types of sex. Hence the two other terms refer to a more ambiguous scale of sexualities. Pan sexuality is attracted to all types of sex. Poly is to more than 1, although in this instance, usually refers to more than two, but not all types of sex.
pansexuals are attracted to personalities, rather than a specific gender

Titburger

HSC

But I thought there was only 2 types of sex? The term pan sexuality has always confused me

Tangent

HSC
isn't "queer" gay?
Queer is there just to try and encompass everyone. Some people dont identify with the term queer, mainly because it is sometimes seen as a derogatory term. Thats the problem with titles, they are so restrictive. Sexuality is a spectrum, and cannot be so rigidly defined. That is why it is hard to encompass everyone. I agree with the Absolute-Zero, the flag is a much better symbol, though LGBTQI is just quicker to type

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I hate this term "LGBT"

why do the gays want to lower themselves to the level of transexuals, who can be considered nothing more than people with severely screwed up minds who want to harm themselves.
Argh. GO AWAY TROLL.

You belittle people in my (the queer) community. You obviously know NOTHING about transsexualism!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
pansexuals are attracted to personalities, rather than a specific gender
It can refer to this as well. In addition, another factor is often gender-blindness.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
But I thought there was only 2 types of sex? The term pan sexuality has always confused me
There is a difference between sex and gender. In terms of sex, for the most part, there is just male and female. However, sometimes you can get those with both organs (or neither), or hormones.

Malfoy-Sama

HSC
Argh. GO AWAY TROLL.

You belittle people in my (the queer) community. You obviously know NOTHING about transsexualism!

i am no troll....

i think you'll find the majority of the population of this country (and the world at large) are in agreement with me over "trans sexuals"......

=="

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
i am no troll....

i think you'll find the majority of the population of this country (and the world at large) are in agreement with me over "trans sexuals"......

=="
Just because they agree with you doesn't make you right. You can't understand, you're cysgendered.

Malfoy-Sama

HSC
HAHA. theres no point arguing with such idealistic illogical ideological extremists who make up a miniscule percentage of the populatiuon anyway

i'll just leave this kind of talk to the so-called "LGBTs" while i get back to the real world

=D

don't get me wrong, i have a friend who is a fag. i just cannot understand why they want to associate themselves with people who are clearly not mentally balanced and are into disturbing self-mutilation.

Tangent

HSC
HAHA. theres no point arguing with such idealistic illogical ideological extremists who make up a miniscule percentage of the populatiuon anyway

i'll just leave this kind of talk to the so-called "LGBTs" while i get back to the real world

=D

don't get me wrong, i have a friend who is a fag. i just cannot understand why they want to associate themselves with people who are clearly not mentally balanced and are into disturbing self-mutilation.
Bahahaha, you think you are with a majority of the population. Even if you were, this shows that you are just a sheep who cant make up their own mind.

You still have a lot to learn. Try getting to know a transgender person. I think you'll be surprised how human they are.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
The problem with homosexuality is that it is defined as an issue in itself.

Homosexuality is something that can be desireable to just about anyone (e.g. that sad four corners story on Monday), just like heterosexuality.

The notion that you can define a human as 'gay' entity who needs separate rights from everyone else etc is simply ridiculous.

Most people don't care what sex other people get and tbh the only thing worth discussing is the abolition of all mentions to gender in relevant legislation
Wasn't the four corners story on Monday about tennis? Oh no wait it was that one on Afghanistan!! Yeah...I didn't quite know what to make of it. Good post btw.

But now it's a media defined "issue", everyone has dug in and it's stuck in a quagmire of boring shit. But that post sort of stated the ultimate problem, but how do we move from the situation we have now, where a very noisy minority "oppose" boys having sex with boys and girls having sex with girls for their various ridiculous reasons to a situation where sexuality is totally irrelevant from the legislative point of view?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)