IT/ Comp Sci / Software Engineering (1 Viewer)

twistedrebel

HSC
in sydney its like this

UNSW>>UTS/Usyd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>maqauire,>UWS

thats shows the distance in skill UNSW is slightly above UTS/usyd while the rest are miles away. Do not go to a uni for IT besides UTS/usyd or UNSW

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
comp sci -make shit
seng-manage shit
it-do shit( i.e networking, etc)

all 3 have good money currently and will do so for a while. I know for a fact microsft USA recruits from UNSW every year, and i would go comp sci @ unsw if i were you
how much maths is involved in each category? is comp sci more of the research into the design of new ICT concepts.

goldfield

HSC
N/A
So in terms of courses list of highest to lowest amount of maths?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
most people I talked to ain industry wished they did theoretical subjects rather than applied ones

HSC
Doesn't really matter where you go to do comp sci, because they wont teach you to code for industry standards (by that i mean the level of experience required). Comp Sci is all about learning shit yourself. If you cant apply yourself, you can fuck off now.

I am doing IT/Comm at USYD (ATAR 95~ i got 98.6) and It's alright. The Info1903 course is really good for people who hav e some experience in programming and there is always an advanced stream for these kinds of people.

But like i said, if you want to go into IT (whether that be development or management), you have to learn shit for yourself. For example, one of the most lucrative markets in IT is the web design market and I dont think many uni's focus on this much. Similarly, you only spend like 1 year on C++ and mabey 1 year on Java, yet these re thetwo most popular languages today. Just saiyan.

myst1fy

HSC
N/A
i'd say UNSW is a good choice for comp sci and software engineering and uts for IT, but i would choose a uni more convenient in terms of distance and i think as someone mentioned you just need to apply yourself to the field, it won't really matter which uni you graduated from. And I think this could be said for any degree (except arts :p)

Gigacube

HSC
UTS is good because it includes 2 industry placements for the BscIT & BIT degrees.

NMK

HSC
In Sydney, your foremost choice for a computing degree worth anything is UNSW, with Sydney being the least offensive alternative.

Note that your choice of degree program enrolled isn't usually important, since you can always change your degree and not waste too much time since there's significant overlap between engineering degrees in first year. As well, the Sydney computing degrees (BIT, BCST) are basically the same, but with different ATAR requirements.

If you are interested in operating systems, UNSW CSE has a highly regarded operating systems stream and has NICTA on its Kensington campus, who, among other things, were the first to formally prove an OS kernel.

Doesn't really matter where you go to do comp sci, because they wont teach you to code for industry standards (by that i mean the level of experience required).
You can't be taught years of experience. That's not the point of the degree (or any degree).

But like i said, if you want to go into IT (whether that be development or management), you have to learn shit for yourself. For example, one of the most lucrative markets in IT is the web design market and I dont think many uni's focus on this much. Similarly, you only spend like 1 year on C++ and mabey 1 year on Java, yet these re thetwo most popular languages today. Just saiyan.
Nor is the point of a good computing degree to teach you the intricacies of so many programming languages, especially two that are so similar, or to teach you about the ins and outs of "web design". You will come out of a good computing degree with a strong enough handle on the overarching mechanisms behind the languages and other tools used in the field that you will be able to pick up anything reasonable and be productive with it, immediately.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
In Sydney, your foremost choice for a computing degree worth anything is UNSW, with Sydney being the least offensive alternative.

Note that your choice of degree program enrolled isn't usually important, since you can always change your degree and not waste too much time since there's significant overlap between engineering degrees in first year. As well, the Sydney computing degrees (BIT, BCST) are basically the same, but with different ATAR requirements.

If you are interested in operating systems, UNSW CSE has a highly regarded operating systems stream and has NICTA on its Kensington campus, who, among other things, were the first to formally prove an OS kernel.

You can't be taught years of experience. That's not the point of the degree (or any degree).

Nor is the point of a good computing degree to teach you the intricacies of so many programming languages, especially two that are so similar, or to teach you about the ins and outs of "web design". You will come out of a good computing degree with a strong enough handle on the overarching mechanisms behind the languages and other tools used in the field that you will be able to pick up anything reasonable and be productive with it, immediately.
+1

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I've noticed UNSW has Physics and stronger maths involved over Usyd for B.C.S.T - which requires just maths such as differential maths.

twistedrebel

HSC
UNSW computing no longer has any physics. But more maths, to be a good programmer you need maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)