Jap vs Euro Cars (1 Viewer)

who

HSC
Do not buy a jap car! All jap cars are absolute rubbish that are merely failed copies of European cars!
If you want something with a true character and not some mass produced soulless machine buy a euro! Whoever says vw have bad reliability are full of themselves! I would never step in a ricer microwave jap car!! Suzuki swift are you kidding me stop getting your design off the cooper s!!! Buy a cooper s or a mkV r32 and you'll have a car with great handling, character, originality and grunt to put a big grin on your face! And don't you dare buy an auto seriously who doesn't learn in a manual.. Manual is the only way with cars! Sick of jap cars and reading omg like get a evo get a skyline wowow piss off get an e30 or get a Clio sport! Anyway I'd go cooper s or r32! Felt great to type this

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Re: Hot Hatches for sub-30k

But VWs are fairly unreliable. Possible death in Australia due to the gearbox problems and they refuse to recall them.

Swifts also look nothing like Minis btw.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

But VWs are fairly unreliable. Possible death in Australia due to the gearbox problems and they refuse to recall them.

Yep.

I love euros but you have to admit that they aren't the most reliable things. Holding biased views doesn't really get you taken seriously, jap cars are known to be made very well (generally speaking) so saying they're "absolute rubbish" isn't a really convincing argument.

lol get an e30 instead of an evo. I wouldn't mind a 325is but if i'm looking to buy a classic like that, why would i even be considering a modern 4wd, turbo like an evo? lolol

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

I thought they did?

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A

im sure the dsg gearbox problems are fixed with the golf MK7, obviously not the sub 30k price range though

Fonzie32

HSC

Everyone has their own views... Jap cars are good if you want something on the budget and maybe a track car (since everything's plastic, it's light :D)

VW IS reliable. The problem is that people don't understand what DSG is. They are not a traditional auto box and not an "automated manual box". It is completely different, hence why it has its ups and downs. The recall was done to all affected cars already. There are other DSG boxes that have problems, but these problems aren't from the DSG box itself, they are from the mechatronics unit (which is basically the computer controlling the DSG) and can easily be replaced.

Sounds like I'm typing on my Golf forum lol, but honestly, euro or jap, it's your choice at the end of the day. People can only give you their opinions.

GENERALLY speaking, euro cars are more reliable in terms of safety. Mechanically I see jap cars to be better. But again, each car will have their own problems. You and your neighbour can have the exact same car and yours could be a lemon from the factory and the neighbours not.

Siddy123

HSC

do not buy a jap car! All jap cars are absolute rubbish that are merely failed copies of european cars!
if you want something with a true character and not some mass produced soulless machine buy a euro! Whoever says vw have bad reliability are full of themselves! I would never step in a ricer microwave jap car!! Suzuki swift are you kidding me stop getting your design off the cooper s!!! Buy a cooper s or a mkv r32 and you'll have a car with great handling, character, originality and grunt to put a big grin on your face! And don't you dare buy an auto seriously who doesn't learn in a manual.. Manual is the only way with cars! Sick of jap cars and reading omg like get a evo get a skyline wowow piss off get an e30 or get a clio sport! Anyway i'd go cooper s or r32! Felt great to type this
negged to oblivion

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Lol at describing japanese cars as soulless or plastic, and then advocating for the benefits of VW.

Of all the euro manufacturers, VW are the Toyota of Europe, most of the range are boring, cheaply made econoboxes. They're marketed as a bit more fancy than a Honda in Australia, the brand perception is less lofty in Europe.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

VW IS reliable. The problem is that people don't understand what DSG is.
Nope, just because people don't understand something doesn't make acknowledged faults in the correct operation past or present excusable.

Fonzie32

HSC

Lol at describing japanese cars as soulless or plastic, and then advocating for the benefits of VW.

Of all the euro manufacturers, VW are the Toyota of Europe, most of the range are boring, cheaply made econoboxes. They're marketed as a bit more fancy than a Honda in Australia, the brand perception is less lofty in Europe.
Put a base model golf next to a base model civic. We had a honda accord and 3 euro cars at one time. Honda wouldn't even start sometimes. In saying that, not ALL jap cars are crap, they are generally good. Build quality is what I'm getting at.

Nope, just because people don't understand something doesn't make acknowledged faults in the correct operation past or present excusable.

Um alright. And you're saying Jap cars don't have problems?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

Put a base model golf next to a base model civic. We had a honda accord and 3 euro cars at one time. Honda wouldn't even start sometimes. In saying that, not ALL jap cars are crap, they are generally good. Build quality is what I'm getting at.

inb4japvseuroshitfight

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
No, but you implied that the only problem with DSG gearboxes were people not understanding them. That's clearly not the case.

My issue with the DSG faults was the way VW Australia dealt with it. They were denying it existed when they were already recalled overseas - including China!

Tbh, I don't get your point of comparing a base civic and a base golf. The R32 and GTI golfs are good, but I don't see the appeal in a a base petrol golf. (TDI, fair enough)

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

A lot of it is due to the fact that Aussie VW's are not made in Germany but made in China or Indonesia. You have to make sure the car is produced in Germany to have the quality. There's a ton of quality control issues with out of Germany parts. Friend had a Merc with all parts but one made in Germany, one part made in France. French part had issues within 2 years, German parts fine since her dad bought the car 5 years ago lol.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

VW are not prestige cars or premium cars, anyone who sees them in that light is an idiot. Hell it's even in their name Volkswagen meaning people's car, designed to be a car for the masses. VW already had a recall for their vehicles after being heavily pressured.

Jap cars are fine in terms of mechanical reliability and safety, just look at the crash tests and decide for yourself. Most people buy a car because of price/performance and handling. Reliability from top automakers are fairly close nowadays.

who

HSC

Japs have not came up with their own concept and are all copies of euros. the first cars on this planet were euros, and stay true to their originality and character. take a mazda 3 and hop in one to feel the absolute dullness of it. feels like a machine. its like buying a fridge.. something to get the job done. mass produced cheap and nasty! take a cooper s and look at what they have created! its been a classic since the first was released. character, class and performance.
my point is that japs came in second and have been copying euros since day one. everyone knows this! mazda 2 is just an alfa 147..
if they could come up with something purely jap and nothing copied id lay off them.
anyway who buys a DSG if they want a driving experience? the manuals were solid as hell. ps they did recall DSG anyway..
VW own Bugatti so i don't know why you're even trying to say skylines and evos even compare.. mitsubishi make microwaves and A/C stick to that you can't make a car!!!!!!!!!!
And yes the swift is a copy of the mini. the sport is known to be based off the cooper s. flat top roof copied. ect...
euros kill japs and it hurts to read all the ricer lovers.. i just don't get how you've come to it.. mclaren f1 vs skyline or whatever the 'great' map car is.. wouldn't even compare to the performance/engineering/performance!

Fonzie32

HSC

No, but you implied that the only problem with DSG gearboxes were people not understanding them. That's clearly not the case.

My issue with the DSG faults was the way VW Australia dealt with it. They were denying it existed when they were already recalled overseas - including China!

Tbh, I don't get your point of comparing a base civic and a base golf. The R32 and GTI golfs are good, but I don't see the appeal in a a base petrol golf. (TDI, fair enough)
If you read my earlier post I did say DSG has problems...

Ok fair enough you don't see an appeal in the base golfs. That's your opinion. If you don't see a point in comparing a golf and civic, I don't know what kind of cars you're comparing in your mind...

who

HSC

VW are not prestige cars or premium cars, anyone who sees them in that light is an idiot. Hell it's even in their name Volkswagen meaning people's car, designed to be a car for the masses. VW already had a recall for their vehicles after being heavily pressured.

Jap cars are fine in terms of mechanical reliability and safety, just look at the crash tests and decide for yourself. Most people buy a car because of price/performance and handling. Reliability from top automakers are fairly close nowadays.
exactly my point! map cars are just 'get the job done' sort of thing... they have very little issues, but with that comes the negative side of how bleak they are! Even top jap cars just have that 'tacky plastic' feel. very sharp interior with little techno gadgets everywhere and lights.. come on.
toyota 86 is the most overrated piece of sh!t I've ever seen! get a lotus if thats what sort of car you're after..

Fonzie32

HSC

Japs have not came up with their own concept and are all copies of euros. the first cars on this planet were euros, and stay true to their originality and character. take a mazda 3 and hop in one to feel the absolute dullness of it. feels like a machine. its like buying a fridge.. something to get the job done. mass produced cheap and nasty! take a cooper s and look at what they have created! its been a classic since the first was released. character, class and performance.
my point is that japs came in second and have been copying euros since day one. everyone knows this! mazda 2 is just an alfa 147..
if they could come up with something purely jap and nothing copied id lay off them.
anyway who buys a DSG if they want a driving experience? the manuals were solid as hell. ps they did recall DSG anyway..
VW own Bugatti so i don't know why you're even trying to say skylines and evos even compare.. mitsubishi make microwaves and A/C stick to that you can't make a car!!!!!!!!!!
And yes the swift is a copy of the mini. the sport is known to be based off the cooper s. flat top roof copied. ect...
euros kill japs and it hurts to read all the ricer lovers.. i just don't get how you've come to it.. mclaren f1 vs skyline or whatever the 'great' map car is.. wouldn't even compare to the performance/engineering/performance!
I agree to an extent. But we can't just come out and say jap cars are copies of other cars (although some models do look similar to others). This is how cars come along, you have to take idea from others and modify. Everyone knows the GTI golf is the hot hatch and it's been that way for a long time, but then again the Type R civic has got quite some rep and if you've sat in one/driven one, you'll know why.

Maybe some people buy DSG cos they're too lazy to drive manual first thing in the morning everyday ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)