Julia Gillard new Prime Minister (1 Viewer)

Existential

HSC
N/A
First female prime minister doesn't mean anything because she doesn't have children.
If Ms. Gillard had children and was prime minister, i'd celebrate this auspicious occasion.
If she had children there's no way she'd be where she is.

I'm just saying.

Think about it.
Not having children is totally irrelevant ie. noone cares. People make more of a deal over her red hair than the fact she a a woman. Seriously - NOONE CARES.
Children have nothing to do with this... your comment is a fail.

So Rudd was rolled at the first opportunity because he was a gutless, flip flopping, conservative autocrat who was losing in the polls, naturally he was replaced by someone who has fobbed off the gay rights lobby, backed down on the mining tax, stayed in synch with Rudd's ETS policy, who plays dog whistle politics with immigration and who will retain the power to choose the front bench. All the while her honeymoon period against Tony Abbott of all people is absolutely dwarfed by Rudd's honeymoon period against the most successful prime minister since Menzies which lasted nearly three years. Going great guns there ALP.
mmmm.... im sure you, like many - were concerned about the failing (poll/public opinion-wise) of ALP and Rudd before gillard took over. i didn't want gillard to replace rudd - but in doing so she probaly has guaranteed victory in a 2010 august election (all going well). im not saying rudd couldn't have pulled it off, but it looked as though his plummet wasn't going to end.

put is this way - im sure you can agree on this:

An ALP Gillard Govt is better than a Coalition Abbott Govt.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
How could anyone agree that an ALP govt is better than a Coalition govt?

The ALP isn't too big on individual liberties

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

The Coalition is arguably even smaller on civil liberties (e.g. refugee and anti-terror laws).

So it's not clear cut.

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
reminder that tony abbott is the leader of the liberal party

reminder that tony abbott was elected by the ultra conservative bloc because turnbull was too left wing

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
reminder that tony abbott is the leader of the liberal party

reminder that tony abbott was elected by the ultra conservative bloc because turnbull was too left wing

Lentern

HSC

Labor generally tend to get it right on the ones that actually matter.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Kind of like they got it right on Internet censorship...

Oh wait, they completely fucked up one of the biggest civil rights issues of our generation.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

Oh wait, they completely fucked up one of the biggest civil rights issues of our generation.

Lentern

HSC

I'm not talking about silly little mole hills which a bunch of teenagers who are hepped up on red bell and who can recite the whole dialogue from V for Vandetta like to drum up with grand oratory. I'm talking about the civil rights issues that actually matter. Granted them bombed asylum seekers and foolishly pursued zero tolerance versus harm minimisation re drug policy but otherwise they're alright.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You're such a fucking sickening apologist
He really is. Somehow he can't fit it in his head that there are issues as important as asylum seekers, and goes as far as trying to demean the importance of any issue which threatens to take the limelight from asylum seekers.

Sickening is an appropriate word.

Lentern

HSC
He really is. Somehow he can't fit it in his head that there are issues as important as asylum seekers, and goes as far as trying to demean the importance of any issue which threatens to take the limelight from asylum seekers.

It's not that there are no issues of greater importance, rather, there are no issues of greater importance which are being handled as nastily and as clumsily as that of refugees and asylum seekers. But the filter is not a fucking issue and what is sickening is people like you and rothbard with your trigger responses to words like censorship and filtering protesting that being denied youtube is a bigger attack on freedom than a child fleeing persecution currently being locked up in a gaol on Christmas island while the press lauds both major parties for being inventive in the ways they can be even harder on that child.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
It's not that there are no issues of greater importance, rather, there are no issues of greater importance which are being handled as nastily and as clumsily as that of refugees and asylum seekers. But the filter is not a fucking issue and what is sickening is people like you and rothbard with your trigger responses to words like censorship and filtering protesting that being denied youtube is a bigger attack on freedom than a child fleeing persecution currently being locked up in a gaol on Christmas island while the press lauds both major parties for being inventive in the ways they can be even harder on that child.
I'm as outraged about asylum seekers as the next boser, my posts will probably back that up... but really;

- only about 5000 people per year
- over 84% of them end up staying here anyway, even under howard's harshest policies
- if nothing else, at least it gets talked about a lot

compare this to mental health...
- affects over 2 million people
- no one talks about it at all
- not an election swinger so no incentive to do more about it

i'd argue that being completely ignored is worse than being used as a political football

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
The internet filter is way more of an issue of social freedom than asylum seekers.

spiny norman

HSC

There are, but internet censorship's not one of them.

Yes, I generally oppose it, but "the biggest civil rights issues of our generation"? Fuck off. It's basically putting the same censorship levels on the internet as on all other forms of media in the country.

Compare this to, yes, the refugee issue, WorkChoices, the ABCC, the "War on Terror" and anti-terror legislation, and the Northern Territory Intervention then you begin to see how tiny this actually is. But maybe a few upper tier middle class kids care about this because oh, you're actually effected by this, and how dare anyone even slightly effect their lifestyle (but even then, probably not), because you're not poor or ethnic.

Cry me a fucking river. The Government's dropped it, anyway, despite your ludicrous claims to the contrary. Lentern and myself are often in conflict, but he's right on this. If you're going to compare this shit to China, it'd be within his hyperbolic right to compare asylum seekers to the Holocaust, so props to him for avoiding that bullshit slippery slope you've thrown up.

In conclusion, harden the fuck up, all of youse.

Captain_Awesome

HSC
KFC have a new meal called the gillard combo, it comes with two large thighs, two small breasts and a left wing

This is quite funny mate

better than the fact that she should be in the kitchen [i agree]

And i been noticiting that Tony Abbott is running the country better than she can

As well as she complains bout Rudd's policies which she was a Kay writer of

Lentern

HSC
I'm as outraged about asylum seekers as the next boser, my posts will probably back that up... but really;

- only about 5000 people per year
- over 84% of them end up staying here anyway, even under howard's harshest policies
- if nothing else, at least it gets talked about a lot

compare this to mental health...
- affects over 2 million people
- no one talks about it at all
- not an election swinger so no incentive to do more about it

i'd argue that being completely ignored is worse than being used as a political football
You might be right, I'm inclined to think that atleast the mentally ill aren't demonized but my views may be blinkered by the contact i've had with refugees at Villawood detention centre, watching them plunge from optimists to depressed and in some cases suicidal, growing more defeatist by the day. But its true, atleast refugees by being so attacked are given a right of reply in the media as some of our finest minds: Julian Burnside, David Marr, Michael Kirby etc deliver such eloquent defences. Certainly though your right my suggestion that this is the only really important issue that's being completely mismanaged did not not do justice to the situation regarding mental health.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)