Keneally to say sorry to NSW voters (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
To be honest, I couldn't care less how anybody comes across in a press conference - as long as they are competant in their position. That is not to say O'Farrel doesn't come across well either. In fact, I would argue he speaks more directly than Keneally.

Labor's policies (or lack of) have in fact had a massive negative impact on me. I'm sick of not being to drive anywhere because nobody want's to fund the expansion of critical roads, sick of being jammed into train carriages like a sardine because Labor keep continously announcing and cancelling critical rail way improvements. In the extremely rare occasion in which something does happen, it is double the projected cost while producing half the desired result - eg Epping to Chatswood line. Although this example (one of dozens) was not during Keneally's time as leader, she is simply a new face representing the same Labor government. At the beginning of her leadership she had the opportunity to turn things around, but she hasn't, hence her apology.

Then comes the issue of the sale of electricity assets. Selling state infastructure for pennies on the dollar at midnight, and then closing parliament to intimidate witnesses is nothing short of criminal.

Unfortunately, you're right - the Liberal's don't seem so much better, but even this government are admitting their shit by apologising and there's no way in hell I'm giving this mob another go.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
where the fuck is my NORTH-WEST RAIL LINK!!!

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Does Barry O'Farrell even have any policies? Other than being against ethics classes in schools?

Also what is David Clarke up to now days, I'm sure he can ruin their shit somehow.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Big bad Bazza.

He probably doesn't, and even so, he'll still be a better premier than the moron running the state now as he doesn't seem as corrupt as her.

What a sad political situation.

Lentern

HSC
I don't know why NSW Labor is even bothering in this election. Just sit at home watching Mad Men, you're going to lose anyway.
Most of the Labor/liberal seat contests are held by members of NSW Right which has been the single biggest voting bloc in the ALP since the 70's and has effectively been able to dictate terms to the nsw branch of the labor party generally. There is great excitement/fear that the parliamentary numbers after the next election will give the left a temporary majority with which they will be able to roll some pre-selections and consolidate their majority. If they pull it over it means a sudden dead end not just for Kenneally and Robertson but for the rising federal hacks like Jason Clare, Mark Arbib, Tony Burke and Chris Bowen. Furthermore the NSW left was quite pissed at what the left did with the Rudd knifing and may contemplate settling a few scores if they can cut deals in the right places. So the NSW right are desperately clinging on for dear life.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Does Barry O'Farrell even have any policies? Other than being against ethics classes in schools?

Also what is David Clarke up to now days, I'm sure he can ruin their shit somehow.
They have released dozens of policies. Just because you haven't been bothered to look at them doesnt mean they don't exist.

Also, the Coalition will be keeping school ethics classes.

Existential

HSC
N/A
Barry O'Farrell could still lose this somehow, I'm sure NSW Liberals can find a way. To be honest, I'm not thrilled about having to vote for him, but I will.
Barry's playing it too safe. If there was another option, I'd be more inclined to go that way.

And I agree, somehow I'm sure they can find a way to lose the easiest election probably (or atleast in recent) NSW history.

The thing that actually scares me is there will still be people voting for Labor in NSW.
The alternative (Barry) looks not that great. Labor could hang on going by previous elections.. Well the NSW Liberals are pretty fail for not getting into gov't by now. Even Tony Abbott has said that lol.

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The only reason Barry looks bad is because he hasn't seized this opportunity perhaps as strongly as he should have. One particular idea I support is his proposal for an early election to be triggered if there is major discontent with the current state government. No idea how this will work, but in principle I guess it's a pretty good idea if he can find a way to actually make it work.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
They have released dozens of policies. Just because you haven't been bothered to look at them doesnt mean they don't exist.

documents on their website don't count

I mean so that people actually know about them

Existential

HSC
N/A

Can somebody clarify who is for/against ethics classes in NSW. In my opinion anyone against it is a dinosaur - in public schools religion classes are near compulsory in primary/junior high school and they are (in my opinion) only attempts to turn people Christian (see something wrong here? considering public school are supposed to be secular?). Ethics, if given a good syllabus, is an excellent and long-overdue subject that should be compulsory from K-12 or K-10.

Existential

HSC
N/A
The only reason Barry looks bad is because he hasn't seized this opportunity perhaps as strongly as he should have.
Nobody's stopping him from seizing the opportunity. He should come out of his shell or else risk looking like he wants to inconspicuously slide into gov't (IF the polls stay the same, which i doubt they will).

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
^ I'm not disagreeing with you. Barry needs to be a stronger leader, because at the moment he's not aggressive enough. He's become too complacent, although I do think he's on the right track policy wise.

Regardless I will be voting for him. I've watched a lot of his interviews and he seems to be decent and genuine bloke intent on changing things for the better. At least let's hope so.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/labor-pledges-to-cut-family-living-costs-20110206-1ai35.html

Keneally tries to win back Western Sydney by announcing $913 million package suppose to help ease cost of living pressures. True to form she didn't take questions, and didn't indicate where the money is comming from. Wouldn't be surprised if we wake up one morning and discover she's decided to get rid of the Cityrail network to help fund her election promises.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think libs will stop the barrage of shitty trains on the western line. It will probably be worse under them since they don't have any seats here.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
On the contray Barry's strategy has been brilliant. The latest poll shows an Australian record 66-34 2PP result with Barry well ahead on the preferred Premier rating.

I think such an unprecedented result would have been unlikely had he 'seized the opportunity'. Why would he want to divert attention away from Labor's implosion and constant stuff ups? If your opponent is self destructing, then shut up and let them. It would be stupid for him to shift the focus to himself.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The problem for me is that I think Keneally can be a decent premier, it's just that everyone working for her is pretty much incompetent/incapable of doing anything (or is corrupt) so she can't really get anything done properly. It's not so much the policy themselves that are bad, it's just that implementation of them is a complete fail. I almost feel sorry for her having to not only handle the crap left by Iemma and Rees but also the countless resignations, corruption allegations and scandals involving other Labor members lol

Lentern

HSC
On the contray Barry's strategy has been brilliant. The latest poll shows an Australian record 66-34 2PP result with Barry well ahead on the preferred Premier rating.

I think such an unprecedented result would have been unlikely had he 'seized the opportunity'. Why would he want to divert attention away from Labor's implosion and constant stuff ups? If your opponent is self destructing, then shut up and let them. It would be stupid for him to shift the focus to himself.
Thank god someone else gets it. People get excited over Kennedyesque rhetoric but it's the vanilla blands that get elected from opposition. There are two classic examples in recent history of popular opposition leaders who decided to "seize the opportunity" by which I think people mean "stand for something", One was Peter Debnam and the other was Mark Latham. Despite what people say about Abbott he actually tried to shrink his conviction image in 2010 although he admittedly came to the leadership as a man who "stood for things." Both Latham and Debnam went on to lose elections against stale, unpopular governments with a build up of scandals, three years later a seeming nice and intelligent man promised, for the large part, continuity of the Howard style of government and swept to government.

The big lesson O'farrell can take (aside from not locking your cabinet ministers in the dungeon) is to be a bit more "seize the opportunity" once in government. He'll be the incumbent and have the safety that comes with the position and doesn't need to worry much about appearing unstable. Instead it will be staleness that could come after him which he needs to counteract by appearing to be "achieving things".

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Keneally is doing a bloody fine job. I will be voting for her.

I don't mind O'Farrel either though. He seems like a good guy. However the rest of his party are idiots even if he doesn't seem to be, thus I won't vote for him.
terrrible troll needs more earnest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)