Kind of confused. (1 Viewer)

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Ok because Newcastle university is full of fail and no one there knows how to answer phone calls or return them.

I'm doing a BA and will take Japanese as one of my majors, I also need to pick a second major I am unsure as to what this should be I am leaning towards Chinese but i am unsure of how heavy the workload for a double language major would be especially if i was to say transfer into arts/law in my second year. So for this purpose i am also considering a second major in International Affairs, Politics & Policy or Philosophy instead of Chinese.

What are your thoughts on all of this.

Also how many units do you take in a year and how would this divide between my subjects including electives??

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I've not done a language myself, but I know a few people who did French and said it was more full on than expected.

So I guess this depends on your aptitude for learning language and how much time you're willing to put in.

I personally would choose something other than a language, and international affairs/politics seems like a good choice and won't put too much pressure on workload-wise.

As for units, you do 4 a sem. I'm not aware of B Arts rules however..

EDIT:
Looks like you'd do 2 first year Jap subjects and 2 first year whatever other major subjects. And then prolly 4 first year electives.

Last edited:

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
i think i'll just go International Affairs and transfer to chinese later on if need be and take the IA courses relating to Asia just so they don't go to waste.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I agree.

And Hagaren, you don't really 'transfer' majors. It's up to you, and at the end of the degree the uni works it out lol. As long as you stick to the rules and don't do too many subjects.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
I agree.

And Hagaren, you don't really 'transfer' majors. It's up to you, and at the end of the degree the uni works it out lol. As long as you stick to the rules and don't do too many subjects.
Yeah i think so too, but i really want to learn two languages but i have always considered doing it by distance after i have a job so i can always do it that way.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I 'learnt' Spanish in first year through tafe. It's one night a week, for 3 hrs.
Despite the fact I only remember 'hola' and 'el mejicanos es de mejico', it could be an option for you if you enjoy language haha.

The_highwayman said:
I think learning Japanese AND Chinese at the same time would get way hectic
Agree with this also. They're so different (from what I can gather). Yuck at concept language. :S

Last edited:

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
International Affairs it is.

now whats the go with electives???

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Seems to me you can do whatever the fuck you want?
Just as long as you remember the 1000 level rule etc.

Would make sense to do relevant subjects though.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
wish the stupid program co-ordinator would just pick up her damn phone.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
What do you want her to say?
Read the program guide. Choose what you want. Job done.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
International Affairs it is.

now whats the go with electives???
PRogram Handbook said:
In order to qualify for the Bachelor of Arts award, a student must pass 240 units comprising.

• at least 80 units of an Approved Arts major as set out in the list of Approved majors, of which no more than 20 units should be at 1000 level, and at least 40 units must be at 3000 level;
  • at least 80 units of Approved Arts major as set out in the list of Approved majors, of which no more than 20 units should be at 1000 level, and at least 40 units must be at 3000 level.
  • up to 80 units of elective courses. Elective units can be taken from any Faculty of the University, except courses that are restricted by enrolment for students in a particular program.
A student may count a maximum of 100 units at 1000 level, there is no maximum number of units for studies at 2000 or 3000 level.

It is usual practice for a student to select four course areas at 1000 level and to select major areas of study once an interest and skill has been realised.

Full-time enrolment (80 units per year) will enable program completion in three years. Students may enrol in less than 80 units per year and completion will take proportionately longer.
Bachelor of Arts / Program Handbook / The University of Newcastle, Australia

Basically, you can choose your electives from any faculty in the university.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
yeah i wanted to have a chat with someone involved with the japanese program tbh, but they just kept putting me through to that mitchells lady i just want to find what courses are better to start with and what electives would be a good choice.

Guess i'll just go for it and hope it doesn't fuck me over.

Chris I will get you a beer in newcastle probably 2 for being the king of being helpful.

Peroni.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
yeah i wanted to have a chat with someone involved with the japanese program tbh, but they just kept putting me through to that mitchells lady i just want to find what courses are better to start with and what electives would be a good choice.

Guess i'll just go for it and hope it doesn't fuck me over.
Nah, don't do that hey.

Just chill until Tuesday dude, then i'll take you to the guys that run the JAPN courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)