• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Kurt Cobain ruined music* (1 Viewer)

J4

HSC
then what else would you say it is about, because what an artist/band writes is their musical talent in lyrical/instrumental form.

you can't say that the most musically complicated stuff ould be the best. look at the guitar riffs in dragonforce. crazy shit, but still shit all the same.

no, i'm not saying that, i'm saying that artists like gaga and ke$ha DON'T have talent, and if so, very little of it.

you can so thats what i'm implying, but the fact remains that musicians like gaga are destroying our rock industry.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
You can't kill music, and people who say it's dead are just a little turped that their style is not mainstream anymore (or ever was).

Musical interest is entirely subjective, and each style has created another. Cobain engineered a new type of rock that is still thriving today. There are still devoted metal fans and they still get their 1,000+ people concerts in stadiums. Music as it is is just so broad of a category that it can sometimes be hard for people to find music that they like.

One thing I don't agree with is these auto-tuning talentless hacks that basically have the audio engineer do all of the work... They're just in it for the money, and that's not what music is or should be about.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
then what else would you say it is about, because what an artist/band writes is their musical talent in lyrical/instrumental form.

you can't say that the most musically complicated stuff ould be the best. look at the guitar riffs in dragonforce. crazy shit, but still shit all the same.

no, i'm not saying that, i'm saying that artists like gaga and ke$ha DON'T have talent, and if so, very little of it.

you can so thats what i'm implying, but the fact remains that musicians like gaga are destroying our rock industry.
Destroying the rock industry?

Rock is music, there is no rock industry. If rock was mainstream, those who don't like rock would not like rock anyway and would listen to other types of music.

J4

HSC
You can't kill music, and people who say it's dead are just a little turped that their style is not mainstream anymore (or ever was).

Musical interest is entirely subjective, and each style has created another. Cobain engineered a new type of rock that is still thriving today. There are still devoted metal fans and they still get their 1,000+ people concerts in stadiums. Music as it is is just so broad of a category that it can sometimes be hard for people to find music that they like.

One thing I don't agree with is these auto-tuning talentless hacks that basically have the audio engineer do all of the work... They're just in it for the money, and that's not what music is or should be about.
I should re-phrase, when i say kill music, i mean kill good music, i.e rock.
Your right, it is entirely subjective. I still go to the odd metal concert bands like anvil, anthrax and metallica are pioneers of what whe have today, music wise.

Music is a broad category, and people like different things. But i will speak my opinion when i say artists like lil wayne are destroying the rock industry. Have you heard his latest album rebirth? He has attempted rock, and failed. And in turn, disgraced the art that is music.

Who would YOU say are 'these auto-tuning talentless hacks?'

HSC

are you high

you cant have it both ways

either musical talent is the be all and end all, in which case most rock music is fucking terrible and they have 0 musical talent

or

it isnt the be all and end all, and other factors such as marketing, image, production etc plays a part and in that case, lady ga ga et all are brilliant artists

gosh

you are saying that rock music is good from an artistic pov

wat

"I should re-phrase, when i say kill music, i mean kill good music, i.e rock."

good in what way
it is generally terrible in regards to musical talent
they generally rely on image etc to gain audiences, THE SAME THING LADY GA GA DOES

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I should re-phrase, when i say kill music, i mean kill good music, i.e rock.
Your right, it is entirely subjective. I still go to the odd metal concert bands like anvil, anthrax and metallica are pioneers of what whe have today, music wise.

Music is a broad category, and people like different things. But i will speak my opinion when i say artists like lil wayne are destroying the rock industry. Have you heard his latest album rebirth? He has attempted rock, and failed. And in turn, disgraced the art that is music.

Who would YOU say are 'these auto-tuning talentless hacks?'
The obvious one would be Katy Perry. She can't sing in tune on stage and seems to have little vocal technique outside of the studio, answer - auto tuned.

Any artists that have every song they make run through a Vocoder.

J4

HSC
are you high

you cant have it both ways

either musical talent is the be all and end all, in which case most rock music is fucking terrible and they have 0 musical talent

or

it isnt the be all and end all, and other factors such as marketing, image, production etc plays a part and in that case, lady ga ga et all are brilliant artists

gosh

you are saying that rock music is good from an artistic pov

wat

"I should re-phrase, when i say kill music, i mean kill good music, i.e rock."

good in what way
it is generally terrible in regards to musical talent
they generally rely on image etc to gain audiences, THE SAME THING LADY GA GA DOES
I can have it both ways if i want.
Rock music is good from an artistic pov, because of the diversity within itself, and the skills shown within that diversity.

Rock does not generally rely on image, thats pop fool.

J4

HSC
um do you realise how contradictory your views are
My views are simple:
1. Rock is the best music genre
2. Pop is shit
3. Lady Gaga is shit
4. Artists like above rely on their image, and not their musical talent.
5. You think that rock is "generally terrible in regards to musical talent." This coming from someone who listens to lady gaga, but somehow does not like ke$ha, bieber, etc.
6. You said that rock artists/bands "generally rely on image etc to gain audiences, THE SAME THING THAT LADY GAGA DOES:"
- They do not "generally" rely on image, they rely on things such as driving riffs, loud bass beats, hard drumming and fluent lyrics that actually have meaning, instead of using them just to make money, hence why lady gaga is a 'popstar.' Do not compare them to that selfobsessed skank not worthy of the title 'musician.'

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
The idea that Kurt Cobain single handedly "ruined" music (or rock music, as OP said specifically) is ridiculous.
If music didn't change and new styles and genres didn't develop then I imagine it could be quite boring.
Often the best artists are those who experiment with music.

HSC
My views are simple:
1. Rock is the best music genre
2. Pop is shit
3. Lady Gaga is shit
4. Artists like above rely on their image, and not their musical talent.
5. You think that rock is "generally terrible in regards to musical talent." This coming from someone who listens to lady gaga, but somehow does not like ke$ha, bieber, etc.
6. You said that rock artists/bands "generally rely on image etc to gain audiences, THE SAME THING THAT LADY GAGA DOES:"
- They do not "generally" rely on image, they rely on things such as driving riffs, loud bass beats, hard drumming and fluent lyrics that actually have meaning, instead of using them just to make money, hence why lady gaga is a 'popstar.' Do not compare them to that selfobsessed skank not worthy of the title 'musician.'
do you even read what you are saying

J4

HSC
ahahah wow you are such a fucking moron, lady gaga originally played rock music and she went to the tisch school of arts.
Hitler was an artist and went on to murder 6 million jews and other humans he believe were below the aryan race, whats your point? That if they go to an art school, they're automatically good at what they do?

well done kook

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)