• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

L plates and 120 hours (1 Viewer)

HSC
Exphate said:
If it's going to save lives in the long run, then why the fuck are people complaining? Seriously:
1. More experience
2. Wrap yourself around a pole in the first situation you haven't encountered before, dying in a ball of flames

Hmm. Definitely going for 2.
although option 2 does sound really attractive, i think i'll have to go with option 1

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
zarni2 said:
most probably because you faced the relatively short 50 and not 120 hours?
Well yes I did get my licence under the old system however I did somewhere between 75-85 hours in 6 months. Also I wouldn't be allowed to "alter" or make up hours.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Exphate said:
If it's going to save lives in the long run, then why the fuck are people complaining? Seriously:
1. More experience
2. Wrap yourself around a pole in the first situation you haven't encountered before, dying in a ball of flames

Hmm. Definitely going for 2.
well even if you are with a fully licensed driver, what are they going to do if they get into one of those situations? grab the wheel? even if they did it wouldn't help much. unless they were being stupid or something.
the only assistance i had from my parents in the car was to talk about what i did wrong in situations after they happened
however i was able to operate a motor vehicle before i got my L's

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
The theory is the more experience you have in a variety of conditions the more chance you will be able to get yourself out of the situation. People who have been driving for 10+ years daily (i.e. truck drivers as an example) have seen varied conditions, have seen stupid things and so they anticipate things to happen.

Exphate has a very good point the only problem is the system is to easy to falsify your hours and it doesn't really both the learner or the instructor/supervising driver to do so.

Since P platers have been by and large out of the news of late, I don't expect any more chances for awhile but to be honest the government should really look at the logbook system see if there is some better way – however doubtful that maybe.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Exphate said:
It costs too much. Running a car if 120 hours is too big an investment. It makes it much harder for those on a low income to get a licence.

Only real problem I have with the new system.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Compulsory defensive driving courses and stuff like that is something the government should look into, before they whack on more hours again.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Exphate said:
Also, the principal of diminishing returns.

You can keep increasing the hours forever, and it certainly won't hurt, but you reach a point where the majority of people are doing additional hours for very little return.

I suspect they've well exceeded that point.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Exphate said:
And the costs of running a car all the sudden disappear after you've gotten your P's and are running it 3, 4, maybe 5 hundred hours a year? You're delusional. Oh I'd also like to point out that the license at the end of it, costs nearly as much as 3/4 of a tank of petrol (nearly a fortnights worth, running 10 hours)
No, but you have the complete freedom to make all those journeys necessary and meaningfull.

To get your hours up, many L plater training journeys are by necessity non-essential, and just an additional cost. 120 hours of running around.

I agree, the licence at the end of it is expensive too.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Exphate said:
We will know whether the hours have had an influence or not in the next year or two, when the statistics are released, no won't we.

I'm well aware that everything approaches a "limit" that can't be crossed. Fuck, I'm a maths student.
Fair enough, considering it will cost every learner in excess of an additional $100 to get their licence, over the old 50 hours running, you'd hope it's a significant difference.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Exphate said:
"Talking about the problem" is a good way to assist to ensure it doesn't happen again. It works hand in hand WITH EXPERIENCE, a concept you can't seem to grasp.
yeah but mate, most of the accidents that p-platers die in arent the type of experience that are like that, they often include major loss of car control, which, even if you are highly skilled, fukin lucky to get out of.
you will always have the dickheads however that will travel at 160k's everywhere till they kill themselves, and no amount of hours as a L plater will help that.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Darnie said:
Compulsory defensive driving courses and stuff like that is something the government should look into, before they whack on more hours again.
Whacking on more hours (then there already is) would be useless as proved by this and other threads - people just simply don't do all the hours required. So unless they better the logbook system that would not be the solution.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Exphate said:
But they are essential. If you want to get your Ps, you need to make the journeys. If the parents want the kid tot get the Ps, so they don't have to run around picking them up/taking them places, then they'll do it. If either party doesn't care, they either won't get there Ls, or they won't take the kidd around, and the kid will find someone else to go with.
The extra 70 hours is a huge waste of time and money, until it's proven otherwise.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Exphate: sorry disagree. most adult drivers don't know what the fuck to do if they loose control at high speed. The idea is you don't get into those situations in the first place, but P platers are going to do that no matter what.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well it's hardly going to change if anything it will only get tougher.

If people actually did the 120 hours and tired to drive in a wide variety of situations, conditions and location it should help them to become better drivers. In theory anyway.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Riet said:
Exphate: sorry disagree. most adult drivers don't know what the fuck to do if they loose control at high speed. The idea is you don't get into those situations in the first place, but P platers are going to do that no matter what.
Actually, if a car goes into a four wheels slide, not even advanced police drivers are able to pull a car out of the slide in the area confined by a road. It is possible to pull a car out of a four wheel slide, however it usually takes much more room than the road your driving on and if you do manage to pull it off on the road your fuckin lucky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)