Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Re: Is there any use bringing a laptop to uni?

Hmm... they're around $300 extra so yeah...

-----

And yes, your Pokemans will fit, they're like what? 15 MB each? A typical netbook will have a 160/250/320 GB HDD or an 4/8/16 GB SSD
coooooool. Cooool. Yay i will pay attention now.

I am too poor to afford a macbook and i have super medical fees so no.

sinophile

HSC
N/A

generally a laptop sucks unless you need to take notes for a word-heavy course

super.muppy

HSC

anyone know if macbook pro 13 inch is gnr get upgraded soon? (i've heard that apple will from macrumors )

HSC
Uni Grad

coooooool. Cooool. Yay i will pay attention now.

I am too poor to afford a macbook and i have super medical fees so no.
Probably the best netbook for $400 right now is the Acer Aspire One D255,

HSC
Uni Grad

anyone know if macbook pro 13 inch is gnr get upgraded soon? (i've heard that apple will from macrumors )
They usually update once a year, last update was in April 2010 so there should be an update soon.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A

generally a laptop sucks unless you need to take notes for a word-heavy course
I normally stay at home and listen to the podcasts that i need to. I write notes up on the computer from home - not much but enough to jigg my memory for exams and stuff.

When i went into uni for lectures I would write notes on scraps of paper that i'd lose or i'd fall asleep in lectures (really short attention span). If i managed to keep the notes I wouldn't put them on the computer even though i intended to. (I spend about 4 hours traveling to an fro uni so all i want to do is relax).

I don't have the option to listen to podcasts for many of my lectures and its easier keeping lab work in one place instead of using paper scraps. I need to do well this year to transfer out so i have to stay occupied in lectures so I can pay attention and soak in what theyre saying. So I need a laptop and its just easier for me to keep my notes nice and neat in one place.

assiduous

HSC

What about for psychology students?

Arceupins

Banned
HSC

Yah I'd imagine it will. I've had one of the white unibody models since late 2009 and they still haven't changed anything. I'd probably estimate an upgrade will appear midway through the year, or maybe later if we're unlucky.

Shaybay92

HSC

I use my laptop in the library whenever I have a free period to do assignments/check our course websites and study. Definitely useful when I know I have a lot of free time between classes.

HSC
Uni Grad

Yah I'd imagine it will. I've had one of the white unibody models since late 2009 and they still haven't changed anything. I'd probably estimate an upgrade will appear midway through the year, or maybe later if we're unlucky.
Actually, they were updated in mid 2010.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

I gots myself a Toshiba NB300. 12 hours of battery life... as one does, you must 'train' the battery. It just died about a half-hour ago... after about nine hours in which I stepped up the intensity of battery wasting tactics which eventually came to 'Turn on webcam and move alot while typing so it wastes battery'. It took 10 minutes to drop 1%. <_<

assiduous

HSC

I gots myself a Toshiba NB300. 12 hours of battery life... as one does, you must 'train' the battery. It just died about a half-hour ago... after about nine hours in which I stepped up the intensity of battery wasting tactics which eventually came to 'Turn on webcam and move alot while typing so it wastes battery'. It took 10 minutes to drop 1%. <_<
How much did you pay for it and where did you get one?

nomoar

HSC
N/A

Is there any use taking my macbook pro?
Should I use my laptop or write?

btw, what should we take on the first day?

Last edited:

assiduous

HSC

I'm doing psychology. Would this HP Mini 110-3538TU 10" Netbook be a good buy?
Or should I get a new laptop? My old one is almost 4 years old (in 2 months time) and it cannot hold a charge for more than 35mins. A new battery might be an option but would it be worth it if most laptops tend to last 5-7 years. It's my desktop replacement for now. haha.
My budget is around $1500.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

How much did you pay for it and where did you get one?
I paid $470 for it at Harvey Norman. It was during their Australia Day sale.

assiduous: I went to PC World and looked at their reviews for netbooks. The Toshiba for me was my best bet. I think that HP Mini was also on my top list but I knocked it out for some reason (I forgot).

assiduous

HSC

I paid $470 for it at Harvey Norman. It was during their Australia Day sale.

assiduous: I went to PC World and looked at their reviews for netbooks. The Toshiba for me was my best bet. I think that HP Mini was also on my top list but I knocked it out for some reason (I forgot).
Was it because of the noisy fan and the battery life not meeting your expectations?

assiduous

HSC

Oi, assiduous,
I like its design but it only has 160GB hdd whereas most netbooks have a standard 250GB hdd. Also, it's $399.
I prefer this one: HP Mini 110-3538TU 10" Netbook

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Was it because of the noisy fan and the battery life not meeting your expectations?
I don't know - I just read the reviews, I didn't actually see one. Though I faintly remember reading it had a six hour battery life while the Toshiba had eight. I didn't believe it until I had to train the battery... I was up until midnight <_<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)