Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Re: Is there any use bringing a laptop to uni?

Okay
I think I am getting an ASUS 10" with a 6 cell battery when it's 300 or under.

assiduous

HSC

I don't know - I just read the reviews, I didn't actually see one. Though I faintly remember reading it had a six hour battery life while the Toshiba had eight. I didn't believe it until I had to train the battery... I was up until midnight <_<
How's the netbook coming along? Still lasting 8 hours ona charge? I got the same one as you recently. :D :D Same price too. :D

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Well, I only used it twice. I'm using my main laptop for now because well, I don't like the small keyboard and the like on the Toshiba - but it is a necessary sacrifice for uni work...

It also blue screen of death-ed me twice!

assiduous

HSC

Well, I only used it twice. I'm using my main laptop for now because well, I don't like the small keyboard and the like on the Toshiba - but it is a necessary sacrifice for uni work...

It also blue screen of death-ed me twice!
I haven't used mine yet. I'm about to open it in a few minutes...
O-M-G! I hope mine does NOT get the BSOD each time I use it!
What were you doing to your netbook? It's supposed to have a processor better than most other netbooks and it's 1.83GHZ!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Uhh, my mother insisted on playing a 17 minute long Youtube video onto it - and I assume the RAM crashed due to the sheer size (of the video) and died.

assiduous

HSC

Uhh, my mother insisted on playing a 17 minute long Youtube video onto it - and I assume the RAM crashed due to the sheer size (of the video) and died.
Yeah, it's only got 1GB RAM. My main laptop is a Dell Inspiron with 2GB RAM, what about yours?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Mine is a Compaq Presario with... 1.2GB RAM...

Pretty crap but I'll be upgrading soon to an Asus.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

People who bring laptops to uni just go on facebook during lectures. That's my experience anyway.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC

During the Integral Calculus and Modelling lectures (MATH1003) I had last year, I often watched a group of guys play Mario Kart 64 on an emulator for the whole hour. The guy even brought in a couple of PS3 controllers and mapped the controls to the game. You could see the entire right side of Eastern Avenue Auditorium watching them play. It was quite funny to be honest. :haha:

assiduous

HSC

Mine is a Compaq Presario with... 1.2GB RAM...

Pretty crap but I'll be upgrading soon to an Asus.
I have never heard of a laptop with 1.2GB RAM! :O
Which ASUS are you planning to get? I'm planning on getting one too! But it's not released yet.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

During the Integral Calculus and Modelling lectures (MATH1003) I had last year, I often watched a group of guys play Mario Kart 64 on an emulator for the whole hour. The guy even brought in a couple of PS3 controllers and mapped the controls to the game. You could see the entire right side of Eastern Avenue Auditorium watching them play. It was quite funny to be honest. :haha:
They probably failed.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

I have never heard of a laptop with 1.2GB RAM! :O
Which ASUS are you planning to get? I'm planning on getting one too! But it's not released yet.
Wait, my bad - that's just the size of the current paging file... I'm not sure how much RAM it has actually because I changed it. Recommended is 765MB though.

But the Asus I want is the N61Ja. It seems... nice enough.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

People who bring laptops to uni just go on facebook during lectures. That's my experience anyway.
That's why you don't use the Internet while in uni, and just turn the Wi-Fi or 3G off. Only losers use facebook anyway. *http://faceb*

Ah shit...

assiduous

HSC

Wait, my bad - that's just the size of the current paging file... I'm not sure how much RAM it has actually because I changed it. Recommended is 765MB though.

But the Asus I want is the N61Ja. It seems... nice enough.
You upgraded the RAM on your main laptop? How old is your laptop? Mine is 4 years old lol.

Yeah, that looks good but the graphics card on that model is poor.

Back to your NB300, for the price you paid, did you get anything else or just the NB?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Not upgraded, but I just changed the setting on the System tab. I think mine is about 4 years old as well...

And the Asus? I don't know. I'm just looking around. It seems to be the best of what I've looked at though the Toshiba Satellite U500 looks nice along with the Acer Aspire 5745G as well. I'll have to decide soon.

And no, I just got the NB.

assiduous

HSC

Not upgraded, but I just changed the setting on the System tab. I think mine is about 4 years old as well...

And the Asus? I don't know. I'm just looking around. It seems to be the best of what I've looked at though the Toshiba Satellite U500 looks nice along with the Acer Aspire 5745G as well. I'll have to decide soon.

And no, I just got the NB.
Oh, okay.

Yeah, those models look alright and 13.3" is what I was looking for, for uni. haha until I got the NB300 which is what you got haha. I'm setting it up now. How do I train the battery to last 10 hours?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

when netbooks are advertised as having 5-10 hrs battery, 10hrs battery would involve adjusting the brightness (lowest possible without turning it off), bluetooth and wifi OFF, no sound, and no heavy usage (no videos etc, just word or something), and then you would almost just be able to squeeze in 10 hrs.

my sister has an asus eeepc netbook. her brightness is medium, she uses it for net (she has 1 firefox browser open) and probably word sometimes, and she gets on average 6-8hrs of battery

Rothbard

HSC
N/A

The Macbook Air 13" battery life *is* 8 hours of solid usage though

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

You "train" it by running it down until it hibernates. I tried it once. I was up until midnight doing a ritual dance in front of the webcam because I figured it was the quickest way to make the battery die <_<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)