Votes: 22 28.2%
  • I hardly ever use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

IamVooDoo

HSC
Re: Is there any use bringing a laptop to uni?

Been using AVG for about 2 and a half years now and never had a problem.

mac_attack94

HSC
So I was wondering do most people take laptops to uni or do they just use the computers which are there?? are they necessary??

Also, generally what size does everybody use a full size laptop or a netbook?? Was wondering as i have a dual core netbook and was thinking about either buying a laptop or replacing my desktop.

BTW I want to do a science degree, just in case that changes anything.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're doing a science degree you're gonna be drawing a lot of diagrams and shit.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
There are tonnes of laptops around uni. If you rely exclusively on uni machines, you'll have to contend with everyone else who wants to use them.

There's a mix of notebooks and netbooks, it really depends on personal preference.

mktr430

HSC
If you want a small, extremely light weight 13" laptop for carrying around uni with an i5/i7 cpu and a powerful graphics card (easily replacing your desktop computer) :

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/sony-vaio-z-series-vpcz114gx-s-review/

Im typing this from one now.

Lighter than many netbooks yet the latest spec one (not the one in the above link) is still more powerful than the vast majority larger/heavier laptops, powerful enough to run Battlefield:BC2 on the highest settings. Plus you will be the only one at the uni library without a freakin piece of fruit on the back of your laptop.

Yes, they retail for 4k here, but i imported mine from an ebay seller in the US for only about $1.5k last year (new). You will be blown away with this laptop trust me. Very light to carry around too.

Last edited:

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
Not really worth it unless you have some very word-intensive courses with very few diagrams and weird symbols.

Besides, I learn better if I write it down by pen, that might be true for others including you. If I write it on a laptop it just goes in one ear and out the other.

izzy88

HSC
I would think you would have trouble using a laptop for a science degree especially because of diagrams/symbols etc. Saying that, I don't do science, so I can't tell you how many people use laptops in class. My advice if you can would just be to wait to you are at uni and then see what works best.

I have a 13" Macbook pro. For my first three years at uni I had a 15" Powerbook which I found too heavy/big to be carrying around (however it would have been heavier then current 15" laptops). If you are buying a laptop for university, unless your university has updated its rooms to include heaps of powerpoints, I would also try and get a laptop with as best a battery as possible - powerpoints can be hard to find, and if everyone else is using laptops, it makes it even more difficult! Its also difficult if you have 4-8 hours straight of class...

I use my laptop for my law classes but I didn't for my arts subjects. The rationale is that for law it is much easier to just get down as much as the lecturer is saying and attempting to understand it later (and I type faster than I write, and its easier to understand later). This is particularly important to me for law subjects which aren't recorded and/or have no powerpoints (or they aren't put online after the class). On the other hand, I didn't use my laptop in history classes because getting every single word the lecturer said wasn't as important- it was more about themes, and generally the entire course wouldn't end up being assessed (and practically no one else used laptops in arts...)

As a random observation, at usyd i would say between 95-99% of students use laptops in law classes, but only maybe 5-10% use them arts (history in any case). The number of laptops being used however has definitely been increasing since I've been at uni the past 5 years...

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
I would think you would have trouble using a laptop for a science degree especially because of diagrams/symbols etc. Saying that, I don't do science, so I can't tell you how many people use laptops in class. My advice if you can would just be to wait to you are at uni and then see what works best.

I have a 13" Macbook pro. For my first three years at uni I had a 15" Powerbook which I found too heavy/big to be carrying around (however it would have been heavier then current 15" laptops). If you are buying a laptop for university, unless your university has updated its rooms to include heaps of powerpoints, I would also try and get a laptop with as best a battery as possible - powerpoints can be hard to find, and if everyone else is using laptops, it makes it even more difficult! Its also difficult if you have 4-8 hours straight of class...

I use my laptop for my law classes but I didn't for my arts subjects. The rationale is that for law it is much easier to just get down as much as the lecturer is saying and attempting to understand it later (and I type faster than I write, and its easier to understand later). This is particularly important to me for law subjects which aren't recorded and/or have no powerpoints (or they aren't put online after the class). On the other hand, I didn't use my laptop in history classes because getting every single word the lecturer said wasn't as important- it was more about themes, and generally the entire course wouldn't end up being assessed (and practically no one else used laptops in arts...)

As a random observation, at usyd i would say between 95-99% of students use laptops in law classes, but only maybe 5-10% use them arts (history in any case). The number of laptops being used however has definitely been increasing since I've been at uni the past 5 years...
Rather than a laptop with a big battery, you'd be looking for a small laptop with a tiny screen (screens take up most of the power I would figure).

Also given enough time, all laptop batteries will lose their capacity, due to 'battery memory', irreversible chemical changes or otherwise

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
If you want a small, extremely light weight 13" laptop for carrying around uni with an i5/i7 cpu and a powerful graphics card (easily replacing your desktop computer) :

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/sony-vaio-z-series-vpcz114gx-s-review/

Im typing this from one now.

Lighter than many netbooks yet the latest spec one (not the one in the above link) is still more powerful than the vast majority larger/heavier laptops, powerful enough to run Battlefield:BC2 on the highest settings. Plus you will be the only one at the uni library without a freakin piece of fruit on the back of your laptop.

Yes, they retail for 4k here, but i imported mine from an ebay seller in the US for only about $1.5k last year (new). You will be blown away with this laptop trust me. Very light to carry around too.
Why pay $1.5k for a gaming laptop that's retarded gaming laptops are retarded don't buy a gaming laptop. Quick I need to play 50 minutes of BFBC2 at uni because I don't want to pay for a top of the line desktop that'll be 3 times more powerful and better at the same price.

Laptops are only really necessary for those who need to create software over more than a semester or two or those who are in literary heavy degrees. People doing maths degrees, science degrees and the like don't really *need* one for uni. However, they're pretty gr8 so go nuts if you've got the cash spare.

Go for a cheap, hardly used 13" (or smaller) non-Mac laptop if you're going to get any. Something decent for under $800 should do you well.

ball00n

HSC
Do you need a laptop for uni?

Do people use laptops in uni like instead of taking notes in class similar to highschool?

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
Re: Do you need a laptop for uni?

good laptop for engineering? Mechanical or chemical.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

you don't get a laptop for uni, you end up doing jackshit in the lectures and don't learn anything

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Are they necessary? Do you need them? Absolutely not. You don't need one at all and youll find most people still use pen and paper.

Some people may find it helpful or prefer typing things. It's a personal preference though and not a necessity.

ball00n

HSC

okay, I was feeling excited cos I thought most people used laptops!! MACBOOK!! haha well old pen and paper = the best lol

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

They can be useful if you need to do some work during a break or something. (A free uni computer can be hard to find sometimes)

Agree they are not really required for class though. I always used pen and paper. Much easier.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

You don't need one - but if you use one in class, 99% of the time - you're going to be wasting time anyway.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

I never use my computer for notes anymore - just doesn't do it for me anymore. I much prefer to write stuff and highlight important things. Drawing is my way of learning.

youmadbra

HSC
N/A
Laptops at uni

Do you look pathetic if you use your laptop in lec/tuts ?
Are people like, "Oh look at that guy with his macbook... what a poser" etc.
Yes starting this thread seems even more pathetic, But serious answers...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)