Liberal control of the Senate (2 Viewers)

Generator

HSC
N/A
July 1 (then whenever the new Senate sits for the first time)... Senator Minchin (Hack, JJJ, yesterday) claimed that the Government will be going back to 1996 and following through on all its election policies/promises (and those allowing such policies/promises to be implemented) that were in some way blocked to ensure that they are able to govern responsibly. The need to consider the views of all Coalition Senators (despite the fact that the Coalition is supposedly not as a diverse in terms of opinions as it once was) will be their primary form of moderation. He also, vaguely, appeared to suggest that the Coalition's stance is ideological and it is what they see as being what the country needs in order to ensure that our current period of economic prosperity continues.

It was easy to see that Cannane was heading towards the idea that even though the Coalition claims it will not let the Senate majority go to its head, it will still follow through on what it sees as being right even if others (such as the ALP and the minor parties) would approach the issue in another way, but Minchin handled himself well (I can see why Howard apparently wanted/wants him as the Government's Leader in the Senate).

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Why do people worry about what's going to happen come July? I doubt the government will do anything overly crazy. Half of me thinks the Senate should be abolished... but that's another discussion altogether. :p

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I think people worry because, barring someone crossing the floor, which seems to be quite rare, the senate will effectively become a glorified rubber stamp for Coalition policy and action. So long standing aims like VSU, IR reforms, full sale of Telstra can be pushed throughwith much less resistance. i think people are just generally uncomfortable with a government with a double majority because of the lack of checks on their power and the potential for legislation to be passed without much discussion but causing significant changes (VSU, potential changes to voting patterns and senate structure). it will be interesting to see how far it goes, but it might get depressing after a while.

Vahl

HSC
The governments assault on non business people looks set to begin. I think the government will use the huge Current Account Deficit which they allowed to occur as an excuse for 'increasing efficiency' through further labour market reforms. Already, people are being encouraged to drop out of school before finishing their HSC to gain skills, whilst this may be beneficial to the economy, it encourages a further class divide between the well educated and the not so well educated.

In a democracy every citizen needs an extensive education in order to be capable of making responsible and measured decisions. It is my view that the government is simply furthering its program of reducing the rights and powers of the individuals in our society.

It is likely that the authoritarian 'Australia card' will be passed, less money will be invested in public education(further expanding a class divide), and the rights of the individual will be eroded under the guise of safeguarding Australia from the 'terrorists'.

I expect that the government will allow its media allies greater ownership of media outlets, restricting the flow of good quality information so crucial in a democracy, whilst also taking the oppourtunity to take constitutionally undefined powers away from the states, alter electorate compositions to give it greater election chances etc.

This is the minimum of what I expect to occur before the end of 2005.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Rorix said:
It's funny how every issue you listed was normative and yet you still manage to contradict yourself. I know that you won't even know what I'm talking about here. But anyone who wasn't brainwashing themselves via emotion triggers will hopefully process this in the neocortex and not the amygdala.
OOOOH THAT IS SO GOOD! :D very well put man.
that's all i have to say on this issue :)
except, of course for
1. I look forward to the sale of Telstra :) i own stocks.
2. I look forward to microeconomic reform because i like it
3. FTAs are good. end of story.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
mervvyn: we do have checks and balances, and that is the election we have every three years...

Queensland, I believe, functions perfectly fine with one house of parliament.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Damn I lost my reply. And I'm not going to write it all again.

I was aiming for some sarcasm in my original post but jezzmo humbles me. He realy does.

neocortex = thinking part
amygdala = emotional part.

Disclaimer: - Not scientific defintions so as a general warning do not ever write that in an exam.

And Rorix you're good. It took me thirty seconds to realise what you were talking about.
neocortex = thinking part
amygdala = emotional part.
Disclaimer: - Not scientific defintions so as a general warning do not ever write that in an exam.
Maybe you have it wrong though. Why else debate a point unless you feel some passion towards it?

As for selling off Telstra it means that the company becomes more dogged in pursuit of profits (no matter how stupid they are in the long run) as proposed to looking out for each and everyone of it's customers. And no matter how much Howard tries to escape it Telecommunications are the government's responsibility.

The nationals seem to be useless and no longer represent who they set out to. And if they do then the Libs completely ignore them.

And where did I contradict myself? Liberal thinking is right wing. They believe in making money and seem to be focused on the metropolitan areas and favour private schools. Did I fuck up when I said Sydney because you're right that's Bob Carr's focus point? Apart from that where did I contradict myself?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Your observations are wrong, i'd re-evaluate them... even the most hard core lefty nut sacks don't believe howard will fund private schools more and fund public schools less...

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Well I'm not a hard caore leftist nut.

Anyway, I think I mentioned on this thread that John Anderson (Deputy PM) was useless. I'd like to change that.

The next day I read the Land Paper. Anderson is finally doing his job and standing up for country people. He has taken a stance against selling of Telstra until telephone services in the bush on par with cities.

Generator

HSC
N/A
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
so whatever howard wants, gets?
No. It's the Coalition, not Howard. Besides, with a Senate majority of one, the Coalition doesn't have a great deal of room to maneuver.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
transcendent said:
I want a discussion on the predicted changes the Liberal Government will implement when it gains control of the Senate. How will this affect us, positively or negatively, and what are your views on the changes.
This means that they can effectively do whatever they wnat and pass whatever laws they want, doesnt it

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I forgot this before, but anyway:

Come July first, or some time after, we could be facing a referendum. Howard wanted to reduce the powers of the senate remember. Now he has his chance, if the Liberal Senators don't decide they like their power too much.

If Howard tries this referendum then he'll do it early on before the Senators get comfy.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Well I'm not a hard caore leftist nut.

Anyway, I think I mentioned on this thread that John Anderson (Deputy PM) was useless. I'd like to change that.

The next day I read the Land Paper. Anderson is finally doing his job and standing up for country people. He has taken a stance against selling of Telstra until telephone services in the bush on par with cities.
Excuse me, when haven't the nationals been against the selling of telstra unless country services are up to par?

Generator

HSC
N/A
*bump*

Given that today is the final day of Parliament before the Winter break and that 1 July is almost at hand, I'm of the opinion that we should cue the Imperial March tune in preparation for August (when the Senate actually resumes).

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you. You do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover you power.

Join me and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
although i'd usually be flat out anti-howard on this, i'll be sensible

Howard is smart enought to only pass a few idelogical type things that could be risky, but not enough that he look like he's power-hungry. howard is an evil prick, but he is the smartest politician in the nation.

i predict

-telstra in some deal with the nats for more money
-IR reforms
-VSU (tho possibly not in it;s current form)
-some changes to the electoral process, i doubt any attempt at constitutional change (except 4 year terms as a long shot)
-more powers for ASIO
-some other thing thats bound to upset the states, but dunno wat it is yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)