Liberal control of the Senate (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
At which point Michael Costello reveals himself as Peter

Generator

HSC
N/A
*bump*

So... 3 major bills have been forced through in a single 2 week sitting, and I think that it is more than fair to say that each is of fundamental importance and deserving of considerable public debate. Sadly, only two of the three have received blanket media coverage (terror and IR), whereas the other (welfare) has been marginalised (hah). Now, add to that Kevin Andrews' notion that the debate on the streets is meaningless and that the 'debate' in the parliament is the one that is of actual substance...

Earlier tonight Senator Hill was interviewed by Kerry O'Brien on the 7.30 Report, and it started off with an interesting answer to a question regarding whether he thought that the voters knew what it was they were voting for. Basically, he said that it was unlikely, but that at the same time the Coalition's agenda was publicly known (personal note - even though the extent of it has changed considerably).

Edit: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2005/s1525217.htm

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I've been hearing news reports that they intend to push through the VSU bill as well this week(?), depending on Barnaby and the Family First senator..

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Minai said:
I've been hearing news reports that they intend to push through the VSU bill as well this week(?), depending on Barnaby and the Family First senator..
Well it's on the front page of the SMH. Barnaby has always made it clear that the VSU legislation concerned him more than the other changes.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/joyce-gets-tough-on-vsu/2005/12/07/1133829625669.html

The Liberals want to push through all the big bills before xmas. At first the Liberals were aiming to pass the new Terror laws and the IR. However they have managed to push through these at super dooper fast speed (bills can go through very quick when there are no protracted debates) meaning the government has had the opportunity to pass the welfare to work changes (last night?). Currenly they are looking at VSU also going through before xmas.

VSU may not be as quick as the other bills. Barnaby is probably going to cross the floor (Some action in the parliament) to provide amendments for the better protection of sports and regional services which is most probably in his best interests. The national party needs to look like it is doing something to protect regional Australia.

In the new year the Liberals will look at cross media ownership laws and further reform to welfare in addition to substantial tax cuts to jolly up the electorate before the election. Possible these tax cuts will coincide with Howard retiring. However it seem Howard may hang on to see the Liberals win the next election. Currently the Liberal party isnt popular with the ALP ahead on the two party preferred. However if an election was held tomorrow the Liberals would win easily as Howard leads Beazly in the preferred PM stakes.

Currently the ALP is focusing on discrediting Costello well knowing that the ALP has a much better chance against him. While his has been a good treasurer he is generally characterless, smug in appearance and is a poor parliamentary performer with his method being 'comedy' when anything goes wrong. He also has poor media skills, unlike Howard.

It will be very interesting when Howard goes, if he goes at all. I really do think that Janet would prefer to stay at Kirribilli house forever.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think the ALP is playing a stupid game in attacking the treasurer over this... the Australian public really do not care.

They should stick to attacking the government over workchoices.

I believe most of the opposition to VSU will come from within the party, the ALP would be foolish to launch a powerful public attack against VSU because it would be popular with most australians.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I think the ALP is playing a stupid game in attacking the treasurer over this... the Australian public really do not care.
Why stupid? It's a good lead for the ALP. Liberal party appoints million dollar Liberal party donor to the RBA despite his company owing the ATO a large sum of money.

I believe the ATO wanted $150 000 000 but they settled out of court for $70 000 000. I think this would be enough to raise the eyebrows of the Australia people. At least it should do so. $70 000 000 is a alot of tax he didn't pay.

I think most Australian's would think it was bad judgement and innapropriate that a man whoes company owes 70 000 000 should be appoitned to the RBA. In particular when he is a substantial donor to the Liberal Party.

Also it seems wholly unrealistic that the treasurer and Cabinet HAD NO IDEA that Gerard has an ongoing dispute with the ATO.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't think most Australians will give a crap who they appoint to the RBA, in fact I doubt most of them know what it means.
You sure? Most people would have their finger on the pulse of interest rates considering the emphasis given to such figures by the Liberal government last election. If they know what interest rates are there is a good chance they know that the RBA sets interest rates.

I think even those with less of a knowledge of these things would recongise that it seems fishy when massive Liberal party donors get appointed. Even more fishy when cabinet minister say they knew nothing of the $75 000 000 he had to pay the tax office.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Labor's Penny Wong accused the Government of stretching out other legislation to allow time for a VSU deal to be struck.

"A government filibuster on its own legislation, just to allow the political manoeuvring over in the back rooms, well what confirmation," she said.

"You treat the Senate as your own private club, well it isn't your own private club, this is a chamber of the Parliament of Australia and it deserves a modicum of respect."

The Government's leader in the Senate, Robert Hill, defended the Government's actions.

"Despite the howls of protest from the Australian Labor Party, who demand that we not have the opportunity to have our legislation voted upon, we intend to use what processes that are available to us to ensure that there is a vote," he said.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1527718.htm

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
While [Costello] has been a good treasurer he is generally characterless, smug in appearance and is a poor parliamentary performer with his method being 'comedy' when anything goes wrong. He also has poor media skills, unlike Howard.
lol. I know he appears otherwise characterless but it really doesn't look good for Costello to be stupidly laughing everything off all the time. I mean it's okay to smile but the way he does it... constantly laughing... makes him look like a drunken madman.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
lol. I know he appears otherwise characterless but it really doesn't look good for Costello to be stupidly laughing everything off all the time. I mean it's okay to smile but the way he does it... constantly laughing... makes him look like a drunken madman.
He is smug and doesn't deal with the media well. Howard is a top notch media performer...every time. Except when he laughed like a madman for about 3 mins during his speech when he won the last election. Spooky, almost cartoon evil like.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
lol I remember that, he was like a giddy school boy

"Alrite alrite (laugh) settle down (laughs some more) Iyyaaa... (laughs)... Iyyaa just want to say... (laugh)..."

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Master Yoda said:
whats the difference between this, totalarianism and a republic? and if they can pretty much do whatever they want, how does it differ from a dictatorship
The difference is that the people voted for it.

Generator

HSC
N/A
KERRY O'BRIEN: A short time ago, I spoke with the Government leader in the Senate, Robert Hill, from our Parliament House studio. Robert Hill, in all honesty did you think voters had a real idea what they would get when they gave Government power the last Senate?

SENATOR ROBERT HILL, DEFENCE MINISTER: I'm not sure they made a considered decision in that regard.

KERRY O'BRIEN: I think that's probably a fair comment.

SENATOR ROBERT HILL: But they knew what they would get from us as a government because our policies were very much before the electorate and we've always taken the view that you should run the risk and put the full program before the people and live by it. You obviously have a responsibility that follows to do your best to implement it.
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2005/s1525217.htm

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Heh, I caught that the other night. Kerry really nailed him that whole interview, made Hill look like a fool. There was no escape from the hard questions and he could only come up with paltry excuses.

In particular, one response was "that's a hypothetical situation" -- I've heard that one before, only from Howard. What is it with politicians and their refusal to comment on hypotheticals? It is not a legitimate reply. Too bad if we ever want to predict anything. "What will you do if interest rates go up?" Oh sorry, hypothetical question.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Master Yoda said:
i didnt get to vote in the ir reforms

i didnt get to vote for vsu

in fact all the petitions that were signed and protests that were marched were brushed off

so how did the people vote for this
Last election Australia voted and increased the Liberal Party majority. So whatever happens if you voted Liberal last election and you don't like whats happening now then you should think more carefully next time you vote.

malkin86

HSC
Where are these silent majority, these Liberal voters? Who are they?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
malkin86 said:
Where are these silent majority, these Liberal voters? Who are they?
Mums, dads, 'aspirationals' (Has to be the dumbest phase ever) and 4WD owners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)