Looking for past multimedia works. (1 Viewer)

benhaddad

HSC
I'm considering changing my text type to multimedia, and I'm wondering if anyone has a source of websites and/or multimedia works that have been submitted to past HSCs. Also any advice on doing multimedia would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ben.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I'm considering changing my text type to multimedia, and I'm wondering if anyone has a source of websites and/or multimedia works that have been submitted to past HSCs. Also any advice on doing multimedia would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ben.
There's a science fiction website either int he 2008/2007 BOS showcase on this site (that's in the Major Works subforum thingy). If you can be bothered to pore through them, you'll definitely find it. From what I can remember it's fantastic- and the guy got 50/50, so a great example for a budding multimedia major work do-er.

All I know about doing Multimedia for Ext 2 is that it's rarely done, which you should definitely take advantage of...to be automatically unique is great!

benhaddad

HSC
Thanks man, I'll have a look for it.

I have a really original way to use the multimedia angle and it really helps/mirrors my concept so I think I can do a good job of it. Not only automatically unique, but unique in a relevant way is the plan :)

Everyman

HSC
I would really recommend doing Multimedia. I did it last year (2009) and got 50/50 and 3rd in the State. What did I do? All I did was make an interactive powerpoint. Utilising technology to enhance your concept is a smart way to go. It makes your work stand out from the bog standard short story, as you are using a number of mediums to create suspense, tone and meaning. Music for instance can give something an extra edge.

In preparing to do Multimedia, I found that there was little if anything to look at in relation to previous works. The only HSC work that I could find was from the 2007 Showcase. I had to look for other similar interactive forms such as DVD Menus and Websites. This helps with form and function (though to a limited extent), thus if you use technology in a simple, yet well executed way, which enhances your concept (most important) then the power of multimedia will win the day victorious.

In thinking about multimedia, look for ways of doing it. Websites are a little static, whereas games and powerpoint give you the ability to create to the limit of your imagination.

My work was based upon the idea that multimedia plays upon the users sense of perspective and discovery. Rather than a website which displays content, an interactive 'experience' can allow you to manipulate the direction of both the perspective and discovery (Think about Linear and Open navigation paths). As in books, films and video games (which I detest) there is a level of suspended disbelief - this is something important to concider!

Hope this helps, keep asking questions I am happy to answer. I know that there is a succinct lack of material and guidance for Multimedia students. But it was that thought of treading on virgin territory and the challenge which drove me.

benhaddad

HSC
Thanks Everyman that's a really generous offer of help and great advice :)

Would you prefer I emailed you questions I have?

Just some of the things I was wondering at the moment included:
-how did you go about incorporating a literary basis into your work?
-what kind of planning did you do (mind maps, storyboarding etc)?
-what kind of content do you think best suits multimedia?

As well as this from what I have seen in terms of the multimedia guidelines, we are instructed to explore a concept... what kind of limitations have you found as to choosing this concept? It just seems like a fairly broad term and you could take it to mean or apply to just about anything.

Thanks for any help you can give... and also for what you've already given :)

Everyman

HSC
I am not happy, I just spent over an hour typing you a response, and my internet went idle and when I logged back on it was all gone.

:cry:
Everyman

Just PM me your questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)