Macquarie University (1 Viewer)

maths94

HSC
Is it a good/bad/okay uni? Can any people who go there share there experiences?

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Depends what for, it's fucking awesome for some things and pretty lame for others. More details please.

I go to MQ and really enjoy it, the quality of my course is pretty good and i love the atmosphere; it's really laid back.

Last edited:

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Is it a good/bad/okay uni? Can any people who go there share there experiences?
Macquarie sucks. If the cutoffs are low for a uni, the uni is bad, end of story. (ANU is the ONLY exception!)

p.s. Maths94 I made you a cool sig once!

Last edited:

FrozenSky

HSC
I thought macquarie has a strong reputation in the business side?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Actuarial, yes - it has a strong reputation in that.

Overall, it seems nice. The vibe I get from it, that is. The majority of my school's teachers came from Macquarie. Biased? Perhaps. But they are science and maths teachers and thus usually will want to stamp that out.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Haha wow. If you think that the atar cut offs reflect the quality of a uni your retarded. Things like location, scholarships, campus and social life are far more influential on atar cut offs then the actual quality.
Ummmm..... syd has the highest cutoffs, therefore best of everything. Uni of new england i think doesnt even have cutoffs... clearly its the worst.

Matt2233

HSC
Environmental engineering is 95 at usyd and 80 at uow. The uow course is so much better then usyd its ridiculous.
Of course the sydney uni's have higher cut offs, their prestigious and easy to get to. Doesnt mean they are neccesarily better (although it is the case sometimes)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
ATAR cut-offs are determined by demand. Period.
BULLS&%#! Usyd law would be just as, if not less, competitive than other law courses at other uni's, such as UNSW. Law is NOT the most competitive area to have cutoffs around the 99 mark!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
BULLS&%#! Usyd law would be just as, if not less, competitive than other law courses at other uni's, such as UNSW. Law is NOT the most competitive area to have cutoffs around the 99 mark!
I lol'd.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
Macquarie sucks. If the cutoffs are low for a uni, the uni is bad, end of story. (ANU is the ONLY exception!)

p.s. Maths94 I made you a cool sig once!
It doesn't matter what university you go too, I, a Macquarie University student, will enjoy a higher income than you ever will.

How does that make you feel?

Monstar

HSC
it doesn't matter what university you go too, i, a macquarie university student, will enjoy a higher income than you ever will.

How does that make you feel?
ballllllllllllllllllllllllllllin

Lou283

HSC
I go to Macquarie University and do a Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing).

Like any university its has its good points and bad points. It's acturial studies course is said to be very good and the business faculty overall has a good reputation.

ATAR cut offs are about demand not quality, although quality often creates demand. For example, most people I have talked to have said they believe that when compared, MQ is better than USYD for most business majors (although I'm sure some USYD people will disagree with me). At the same time if I wanted to be some hot shot lawyer I wouldn't choose MQ, not that there is anything wrong with the course but UNSW sink a lot more money into the degree and are said to have better teachers - and when it comes to law the universities reputation matters.

It really depends a) where you live - is it convenient? b) what degree you want to do c) the university experience you want to have.

MQ is very laid back - often to its own detriment but I really like the relaxed atmosphere and the social events at MQ are said to be among the best.

I would speak to people in the industry you want to get into and ask them what they think of an MQ degree - for my degree it doesn't matter.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
90% of marketing grads won't yield employment in good marketing grad programs anyway

unless you are one of the lucky few to get into P&G, mars, or any of the big4 banks etc you will most likely end up in a junior sales role and progress into marketing later which basically nullifies the marketing degree itself. all the tools you will use are learnt on the job.

speedofsound

HSC
i got a few friends that go there... they seem to like it, but they're doing accounting, which MQ is good for. a nice area, although a bitch to get to from where i am, and a good social life i guess (conception day, etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)