• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Manual Vs. Automatic (1 Viewer)

Manual Vs. Automatic

• Manual

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • Automatic

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Cars fitted with a manual transmission last longer, are faster and more economical.

Every advantage in the world.
Actually nowadays you'll almost certainly have to replace your clutch or a synchro before an automatic transmission, and modern autos are usually faster than manuals.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
um if you cant drive i guess

all good drivers should be able to eat a full maccas meal while driving AND changing gears
shift with the left hand while holding a cheeseburger in it
steer with the right hand while holding drink

fuck cupholders.

It really isn't that hard so long as you don't have downs.

rozymisty

HSC
I have started up driving again. I am learning in a lancer coz thats all the driving school has in my area.

I had to take it in instalments and today I started wtih the clutch. Was nerve-wracking, especally when im so clumsy etc. But i got it the hang of it kinda, and only stalled it a few times. The last time i did it this idiot behind didnt keep enough distance and honked atme. Im like ah mate you were a driver too before!!! hate it when they drive on yoru tail!

And i found out today that when I turn 25 in August, i wont hve to have 100hrs to my name. Once i hit 25 i can throw out the logbook....strange but good.

Im not sure if ill stick with manual but yeah see how i go......

I dont think that you young drivers should be driving and eating maccas at the same time...focus on the road

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Actually nowadays you'll almost certainly have to replace your clutch or a synchro before an automatic transmission, and modern autos are usually faster than manuals.
Clutch is much cheaper to replace than a whole transmission. Old auto cars would often be junked with completely functioning transmissions, but from what I've read, modern autos, built lighter and more complex for economy, won't go the distance and typically need replacing before the engine life is done.

What do you mean faster? The speed of the actual shift? Who cares. What matters, manual's are faster 0-100.

Fext

HSC
yeah you don't drive with your knees either.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Clutch is much cheaper to replace than a whole transmission. Old auto cars would often be junked with completely functioning transmissions, but from what I've read, modern autos, built lighter and more complex for economy, won't go the distance and typically need replacing before the engine life is done.

What do you mean faster? The speed of the actual shift? Who cares. What matters, manual's are faster 0-100.
I was talking about 0-100.
Porsche, VW, Ford, Holden, Nissan, etc. all the new cars are quicker in the Auto or DSG variant.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
no way, driving with your knees is great if you need both hands for eating etc

Fext

HSC
until you take a roundabout

and you go headfirst into a give-way sign

and the food you were eating is no longer in your hands but now on your face, windshield etc

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I was talking about 0-100.
Porsche, VW, Ford, Holden, Nissan, etc. all the new cars are quicker in the Auto or DSG variant.
Really???

DSG is technically twin manual gearboxes.

You're right
Convertible Car Magazine Porsche 911 Cabriolet

4.9 auto vs 5.1 man. How is this possible? Reality collapsing.

It wouldn't be relevant to regular non-performance cars fitted with torque converter equipped autos though hey?

cvt < torque converter auto < conventional manual < sequential manual < twin clutch/dsg auto

no?

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
yeah new cars autos are faster mostly

insanely fast shit times i guess

i drove 30km with just my knees at 100 before i encountered a corner where i needed to use my hands

Fext

HSC
you didn't drive 30 km with just your knees at 100km/h.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
How good are cars? They're like, vroom and shit, the wheels spin and you're off, penetrating into the air in your long, muscular, climate controlled cocoon, like ceaseless vaginal thrust, all power no responsibility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)