• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Manual Vs. Automatic (2 Viewers)

Manual Vs. Automatic

• Manual

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • Automatic

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters
HSC
N/A
i drive both equally. im indifferent to the excel (manual), and the laser (auto) is just dull. When I drive my dad's auto though (commodore) it's like driving a fucking tank to me, so it's lots of fun. i suppose driving a sports car in manual would be even more fun, but i haven't done that so i can't compare.

hence, auto

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Really???

DSG is technically twin manual gearboxes.

You're right
Convertible Car Magazine Porsche 911 Cabriolet

4.9 auto vs 5.1 man. How is this possible? Reality collapsing.

It wouldn't be relevant to regular non-performance cars fitted with torque converter equipped autos though hey?

cvt < torque converter auto < conventional manual < sequential manual < twin clutch/dsg auto

no?
Most autos lock the torque converter when not shifting now anyway, so they dont have any of the disadvantages autos used to have.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Manual, because:

- Its easier to maintain a constant speed, esp. downhill
- No need to ride brakes downhill
- Throttle response is FAR better, i.e. there is no micro-delay when you step on the pedal
- Superior reliability. If you don't mind double-clutching, you can make a manual gearbox last forever
- Less maintenance costs
- Cheaper to buy new
- More fun

I just switched from 2 years of exclusively driving a prehistoric manual car to a newer car, and the difference in the way you have to drive is massive.

I drive both, my dad has a manual mum has a auto which can be drivin manually through the steering wheel. Rather driving the sv6 though. Auto is too easy
I find it more thrilling to have to shift gears, turn the steering wheel, fire dozens of rounds from my Uzi outside my car window and reload.
Switching hands to perform other tasks are literally done in the blink of an eye.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
I've found the oppppppposite to be true
With a manual tranny, you can drive until the gears disintegrate. If an auto starts messing up, i.e. stops upshifting properly etc you have no choice but to fix it.

If you add the clutch in the equation AND you drive hard, then yeah, you can be up for some expensive repairs. But that depends on the driver really.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
With a manual tranny, you can drive until the gears disintegrate. If an auto starts messing up, i.e. stops upshifting properly etc you have no choice but to fix it.

If you add the clutch in the equation AND you drive hard, then yeah, you can be up for some expensive repairs. But that depends on the driver really.
I'm inclined to think it would vary considerably car to car and what type of auto. Some are considerably more complex/expensive than others (e.g. DSGs).

chlodogg

HSC
ooo manual car.. im so excited...

:| u need more "excitment" in your life, if manual cars seriously excite u that much...

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I'm inclined to think it would vary considerably car to car and what type of auto. Some are considerably more complex/expensive than others (e.g. DSGs).
Also AWD cars for example, are notoriously hard on clutches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)