• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Martin Place Hostage Situation (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
is that unprofessional, seems as if the police would be pretty stressed to of not taken accurate shots.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
is that unprofessional, seems as if the police would be pretty stressed to of not taken accurate shots.
If the gunman was shooting, and it was dark then either the gunman or the police could've have easily accidently shot each other... especially coupled with physical/mental exhausiton from the siege..

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
20.25 David Cameron has warned that Britain faces a serious threat from lone-wolf fanatics like the one who struck in Sydney, Tom Whitehead reports.
The risk posed by the self-starting extremist or terrorist is the gravest concern of the police and security services.
Random attacks by individuals who are either unknown to MI5 or have only been on the periphery of investigations are almost impossible to prevent, sources have warned.
And the flood of British jihadists returning from Syria and Iraq and inspired by the terror group Isil has now multiplied that risk exponentially.
Police and security officials have warned ministers that an attack in the UK from such a fanatic is “almost inevitable”.
Here's what the Prime Minister said earlier today:
QuoteObviously it's an extremely worrying situation. It demonstrates the challenge we face of Islamist extremist violence all over the world. This is on the other side of the world but is the sort of thing that could just as well happen here in the UK or in Europe. We very much stand with the Australians at their time of need. We hope it will be resolved, but it is a reminder of the threat that we face and the need to be vigilant.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
[–]Eatingwizards 2 points 8 minutes ago
So sniper confirmed that suspect killed one hostage. Suspect most likely killed by police gunfire. WHO killed the 2nd hostage? I'm sorry I'm not trying to be insensitive but I want to know.
[–]missxmaddie 3 points 7 minutes ago
Not confirmed... Just reported. Police have not confirmed who shot who yet as they are still investigating this.
I don't think you are being insensitive, we all want to know.

(from reddit)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Our hearts are with the hostages, their families, and all those affected by this incident. If you are distressed or upset, please contact Lifeline Australia on 13 11 14 or your local support line.
If you have information regarding this incident or see anything suspicious, please contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or the National Security Hotline on 1800 1234 00 (Australian numbers). /u/DecoPerson

User Actions
Follow

Australian Red CrossVerified account
‏@RedCrossAU
If you’re feeling distressed or upset pls talk to family or friends or call @LifelineAust 13 11 14 or @beyondblue 1300 22 4636 #martinplace

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Latest
20.30 Australia's 7 News apparently had a reporter with a police sniper in the final moments of the siege. Chris Reason reports that the sniper saw the gunman shoot one of the hostages and called out over his radio: "Window two, hostage down". Seconds later, police stormed the building.

Larche

HSC
Oh my god all those innocent people! :frown2: Most of them were probably just going for their morning coffee run and then to have something like this happen... I can't imagine how they must be feeling. Really hope and pray they are okay.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
T4 Sydney Trains @T4SydneyTrains · 46m 46 minutes ago
Services will not stop at Martin Place due to ongoing police operation. Alight at Town Hall, Wynyard or St James: http://ow.ly/FVVm2
0 replies . 19 retweets 3 favourites
Reply Retweet19 Favourite3

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
The question has arisen: How was this gunman ever free on bail?

Monis was before the courts on two separate and serious matters: more than 40 sexual assault charges involving seven alleged victims; and as an accessory to the murder of his former partner
(from syd morning herald)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
702 ABC Sydney @702sydney · 2m 2 minutes ago
Our reporter @MatthewBevan says there are many people showing up at Martin Place with flowers. #sydneysiege

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Lindt Chocolate Cafe Australia
22 seconds ago
As the hostage-taking in our Café in Sydney came to an end, Lindt & Sprüngli is profoundly saddened and deeply affected about the death of innocent people. We are devastated by the loss of their lives and that several others were wounded and had to experience such trauma. Our thoughts and feelings are with the victims and their families who have been through an incredible ordeal, and we want to pay tribute to their courage and bravery.
“I’m shocked and deeply saddened by the terrible incident that has taken place in Sydney”, says Ernst Tanner, Chairman and Group CEO Lindt & Sprüngli. “I cannot believe that such an act of violence happened. I would like to express my deepest sympathy to the victims and their families. In these difficult times we all need to stand together in order to defend the values of freedom, peace and tolerance.”
Our immediate concerns are for the innocent people who were taken hostage in a place which was chosen in such a random way. We are thankful that most of the hostages who were involved in this terrible criminal act were freed by the intervention of the New South Wales Police Forces and would like to thank them for their service.
“Lindt & Sprüngli will provide any support to the victims and their families, and indeed to all our employees affected by this event. We are grateful for the support we received from the public in Australia and from all around the world”, says Steven Loane, CEO Lindt & Sprüngli in Australia.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
7:46am:

Road diversions around Martin Place

For those people heading into Sydney's CBD on Tuesday morning, there are several road diversions still in place.

Police will continue to maintain a perimeter around the Lindt Chocolat Cafe, at the corner of Martin Place and Phillip Street.

Police have also cordoned off Hunter, King, Phillip and Elizabeth streets.

This is the latest information from police:

• Elizabeth Street between Hunter and King Streets – closed to all traffic

• Elizabeth Street – north-bound between Market and King Street – closed to all traffic

• Phillip Street – between King and Hunter streets – closed to all traffic

• King Street – between Elizabeth and Phillip streets – closed to all traffic

• Macquarie Street – between St James Road and Hunter Street – closed to all traffic

Bus services will run according to regular schedules, although some routes will be diverted around the affected area

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Latest
20.45 Remember that right before the shooting started a group of six hostages burst out of the cafe and ran to freedom. It was strange - how did they get away if the gunman was right there?
A Current Affair reporter, Dan Nolan, offers this potential answer: the hostage taker had fallen asleep and several of his captives took the opportunity to run. As he awoke he started shooting at the remaining hostages, which is what triggered the police intervention.

The police wouldn't comment on reports the gunman fell asleep during their earlier press conference.

(from the uk telegraph)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Gutted to hear that we lost two hostages :(. Heart goes out to them and their families.

Gonna feel so weird going to work today.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
It could have been from the gunman who fired shots before the SWAT team entered or it may have been accidental shooting resulting from police raid.

Nothing has been confirmed as of yet I think...
I'm sure they will verify this by comparing the type of bullet as I am sure the police + swat have different guns to the gunman. If it was police or swat, they wouldn't say anything though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sure they will verify this by comparing the type of bullet as I am sure the police + swat have different guns to the gunman. If it was police or swat, they wouldn't say anything though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep but it may be classified under police internal investigation so we may not find out...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)