MATH1081 Discrete Maths (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: Discrete Maths Sem 2 2016

A is an element of B, but not a subset (assuming the b's aren't coincidentally just equal to the a's).

Since A isn't a subset of B, it's not in the power set of B. But {A} is in P(B), since {A} is a subset of B, since A is an element of B.

leehuan

HSC

A is an element of B, but not a subset (assuming the b's aren't coincidentally just equal to the a's).

Since A isn't a subset of B, it's not in the power set of B. But {A} is in P(B), since {A} is a subset of B, since A is an element of B.
Alright this last bit was what I needed to see. I need to have my foundations but just making sure:

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

ahahahaha goodluck with that subject

leehuan

HSC

Can I please have my proof checked?

The video solution was clever in how it used a Pythagorean identity here to match up A and B, however I did it by solving. Just want to check on its validity

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

The video solution was clever in how it used a Pythagorean identity here to match up A and B, however I did it by solving. Just want to check on its validity

A is a proper subset of B, since there are elements in B that are not in A. You are claiming that A is the set B itself.

Recall that sinx = 0 does not imply cosx = 1

The solutions to sinx = 0 can be divided into the solutions to cosx = 1 and cosx = -1

Edit: sorry did not read the final line

Yes it looks good.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

A is a proper subset of B, since there are elements in B that are not in A. You are claiming that A is the set B itself.

Recall that sinx = 0 does not imply cosx = 1

The solutions to sinx = 0 can be divided into the solutions to cosx = 1 and cosx = -1

Edit: sorry did not read the final line

Yes it looks good.
Lol. Yeah the question first asked to prove it was just a subset before claiming it was a proper subset. So I put x=π on the end to contradict they're the same set.

leehuan

HSC

They don't have an answer so I am suspecting that my answer is wrong lol. I started from the outside in my working.

Edit: After line 2 one of my friends used associativity like this

But ends up with a final answer of just instead. Is this justified?

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

just fyi on the second line of the A it reads "Let A be the set of x in the real numbers such that k is in the integers such that x = 2k*pi" which makes zero sense

try

leehuan

HSC

just fyi on the second line of the A it reads "Let A be the set of x in the real numbers such that k is in the integers such that x = 2k*pi" which makes zero sense

try

That was a part of why I put that question up. What's the difference between using | and ,

Edit, ok my prediction is | means such that whereas , means where. In that case, if the second | was replaced with , would that still be nonsensical?

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

They don't have an answer so I am suspecting that my answer is wrong lol. I started from the outside in my working.

To get the final answer your friend got (which looks correct), use an absorption law at the second last line of your proof. (Unfortunately your simplification in your last line isn't valid. But if we just apply the absorption law there we'll get the answer. :))

(See: https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Absorption_Laws_(Set_Theory)/Union_with_Intersection.)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Yes what your friend did is valid. Since intersection is both associative and commutative, we can do intersections in any order (like, (X cap Y) cap Z = X cap (Y cap Z) = X cap (Z cap Y) = (X cap Z) cap Y, using associativity and commutativity. I used 'cap' to mean intersection symbol.). Then using absorption law finishes it.

seanieg89

HSC

That was a part of why I put that question up. What's the difference between using | and ,

Edit, ok my prediction is | means such that whereas , means where. In that case, if the second | was replaced with , would that still be nonsensical?
Don't view "," and "|" in the same way (btw ":" is a common alternative for "|" that is my personal preference). The former is basically informal formatting here, whilst the latter is part of the formal set builder notation syntax.

{x in A: Mathematical statement P(x) about x}

is the general way of denoting the collection of x in A such that P(x) is true. Comma is just formatting of that mathematical statement in this case, to be translated as "for some". Although this certainly isn't unambiguous notation, its intended meaning should be pretty obvious from context. We are often slightly lazy in writing mathematical statements because writing things formally with quantifiers in each line would be needlessly tedious in long proofs.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

no, but then you're saying the set consists of x and k, when you really want to just have the x's that satisfy the condition

the thing i wrote reads "x in the real numbers such that x = 2k*pi where k is any integer"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)