MATH1151 Asoc Prof Womersley and Tran - Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

oyuck

HSC
So starting year 1 this year, and I've got these two lecturers for MATH1151.

Tbh, it's the most concerning subject for me.

So any hints, suggestions, and tips would be appreciated. Also, what do people think about these two lecturers? Womersley and Tran.

Thank you in advance.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Check the UNSW subject reviews thread. From what I've heard, Tran has an accent so you might have to learn to keep up with him.

mash121

HSC
i had these two lecturers last year for math1151, and many people had many different opinions about them. tran has an accent and u kind of get used to it as the sem goes on though some people didnt, the guy is good and knows his stuff but sometimes has trouble controlling the class from talking best to sit at front though be warned he does ask random questions so if ur not paying attention u might get caught out. the one thing i hated about tran is that he sometimes forgot to put the lecture slides up and he would give u 2 seconds to write a massive amount of stuff, the lecture slides were full of blanks spaces to write stuff so u had to go to the lectures or else they were useless. womerly is a good lecturer as well, he usually gives all the info on the lecture slides so u dont have to right stuff down which is a big plus. the guy makes stuff interesting and is very clear

now here are my tips for getting a good mark
1. do ur home work this is vital
2. get the course pack the notes they give u for 1151 are enough to get a hd, though i still recommend going to tutes and lectures but if ur lazy then this is probably enough except for mutlivariable calculus which is done at the end of the sem and is not in the calculus notes they give
3. for class tests/ matlab test do the practice tests given in the course pack, usually they repeat questions or just change them a little bit.
4. buddy up with someone or use wolfram alpha to help with the calculus and algebra online tests, these are usually easy though.
wolfram alpha is this program that basicly does maths for u so just google it and remember the site its helpful for checking home work and cheating on online tests.
5. get matlab buy it or pirate it i dont care just get it, u need it for online matlab tests and for ur matlab comp test, its a pain going to the comp lab just to use matlab and also around test time it can be hard finding an available comp as most people are using them or the labs closed due to testing
6. relax if u dont to so well in the final because math1151 scales fairly well

Last edited:

muzeikchun852

HSC
now here are my tips for getting a good mark
1. do ur home work this is vital
2. get the course pack the notes they give u for 1151 are enough to get a hd, though i still recommend going to tutes and lectures but if ur lazy then this is probably enough except for mutlivariable calculus which is done at the end of the sem and is not in the calculus notes they give
3. for class tests/ matlab test do the practice tests given in the course pack, usually they repeat questions or just change them a little bit.
4. buddy up with someone or use wolfram alpha to help with the calculus and algebra online tests, these are usually easy though.
wolfram alpha is this program that basicly does maths for u so just google it and remember the site its helpful for checking home work and cheating on online tests.
5. get matlab buy it or pirate it i dont care just get it, u need it for online matlab tests and for ur matlab comp test, its a pain going to the comp lab just to use matlab and also around test time it can be hard finding an available comp as most people are using them or the labs closed due to testing
6. relax if u dont to so well in the final because math1151 scales fairly well
how about the prescribed textbook ? is it essential for the course ?

mash121

HSC
how about the prescribed textbook ? is it essential for the course ?
no, i would recommend u dont buy it because everything u need to know is in the course notes except for multivariable calculus but that is taught fairly well in the lecture and is only like 2 weeks of work. i remember the lectures saying that it was unnessary and that u could borrow an older edition from the library if u wanted.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I tried borrowing the book from the library, took it down from Level 7 or where ever it is to the borrowing station on Level 2 - nah, not allowed :(

mash121

HSC
u sure i borrowed it before, maybe someone reserved it and thats y u couldnt get it

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I tried borrowing the book from the library, took it down from Level 7 or where ever it is to the borrowing station on Level 2 - nah, not allowed :(
you get it from the high frequency section

and I had Womersly for a tute seems like a solid educator but he's also a bit of a douchebag coz he kicked me out of the red center for playing bm tron

shaon0

HSC
Tran is pretty good and a nice guy in general. But pretty busy with his research and the related so he's not always available for chats in his off time. Not all round a nice guy...and accent isn't really a problem. Textbook isn't essential for any maths subject even up till 3rd year.

oyuck

HSC
i had these two lecturers last year for math1151, ...... fairly well

Thank you so much for your hints and tips!!! (gave you rep ;) ) If anyone has more, I"d love to hear them too.

oyuck

HSC
For this course, which topic(s) did you find the most difficult?

And is MatLab hard to use / hard to grasp?

Finally, does anyone know the number of Ds and HDs they give out each year? Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate your replies!! :D

deterministic

HSC

Finally, does anyone know the number of Ds and HDs they give out each year? Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate your replies!! :D
In MATH1151, several variable calculus takes a bit of time to get used to. Otherwise no topic is particularly hard to grasp.

MATLAB is not hard at all (at least what you need to know). Do all the practice questions and you'll be fine.

LOL™

I invented "lol"
HSC

Nah matlab is like free marks, you just memorise the examples and type them up in the test.

Mitchillio

HSC
Uni Grad
Tran and Womersly were both great lecturers IMO. Tran's accent isn't that bad, you can understand him easily enough, but the way he says function will probably get a few laughs. He doesn't really cover MATLAB at all in any of his lectures (Womersly demonstrates uses of MATLAB in just about every lecture), but tbh it's not at all necessary because they just repeat or slightly modify the same questions every semester, so if you do the practice questions in the course notes you're almost guaranteed full marks. Both of them know what they're talking about and highly appreciate people asking questions (if you don't understand something, ask. It's better to ask a "stupid" question than to end up writing a stupid answer in your final). Also with Womersly, don't hesitate to answer him out loud when he randomly asks the lecture a question. There tend to be a lot of moments where Womersly asks a very easy question and everybody just kinda sits in silence thinking it was rhetorical. He takes that as meaning everybody in the lecture is too stupid to figure it out and gets very annoyed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)