MATH2962 vs MATH3068 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Abe books for 22. I opted for express shipping because yolo it was only 4 dollars more.

seanieg89

HSC
Abe books for 22. I opted for express shipping because yolo it was only 4 dollars more.
Cool, enjoy it! I wish I had a book that good to learn analysis from the first time.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
What books would you recommend for me considering I'm going into 1st year soon-ish? I know there are course notes and stuff, but is there any books out there that would be good to get my hands on?

seanieg89

HSC
What books would you recommend for me considering I'm going into 1st year soon-ish? I know there are course notes and stuff, but is there any books out there that would be good to get my hands on?
I'd say linear algebra and calculus are the two main general things you have courses in in first year.

The former is (in first year) a pretty dry computational subject. If you eventually wanted to learn linear algebra properly and are willing to put some hard work in I would recommend Halmos- Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces. For first year though you don't really need this, there are a million and one gentler books designed for a first course in linear algebra.

I would get Spivak- Calculus for the latter. Again, this is a book for "learning calculus properly", at the cost of not being as gentle as more widely used books like Stewart. This is a really good book though, haven't seen anything close to as good as it for learning calculus. (It's also easier than Halmos overall IMO, but your thoughts might be different depending on your natural algebra/analysis inclination.)

If you want to go down the gentler route, the two volumes of Apostol's calculus would probably have everything you need.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
HSC
Brilliant.

PS. Rudin is coming my way... Dec 3 estimated delivery. Cannot wait. :)

seanieg89

HSC
Hopefully analysis appears more attractive to you than stats after it!

ADrew

HSC
Uni Grad
I took one look at spivak and was like no. Does not look forgiving

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)