• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths comp (1 Viewer)

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
Bleargh...our school took the Maths Comp as an assessment for year 11.

Can you believe that? Thank god it was only the first 20 quezzies which counted :) so I tried to put all my energies into those twenty, and then with 15 minutes at the end I attempted one or two of the last few. Probably got them dead wrong but hey. Someone said they're not negative marked anymore, so I just guessed the rest, and filled in the last 5 questions to correspond to Harry Potter numbers:

30. 007 (the uber magical number)
29. 012 (12 Grimmauld Place)
28. 004 (4 Privet Drive)
27. 975 (get it? 9.75 = 9 3/4 = the Platform)
26. 011 (11 inches...Holly and Phoenix Feather...)

But some of my friends have freaked out, they're all screeching that they've failed because they didn't attempt half of what was on our assessment in the first place. So in my opinion, it's not a good assessment task...but whoever is setting our Y11 tasks this year is screwed in the head, because we have had 2 "portfolios of work" and we have a maths oral Wednesday next week. Freakin' hell. I'm flunking this year because I can't do either.

casebash

HSC
These are too rushed, another 5-10min and I could have solved them all.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Year 11 doesn't count. Don't fret.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Be that as it may, if they do anything stupid like that in year 12, it is simply a matter of lodging an appeal with BOS to have the problem fixed. It would not be wise to give up now.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I should certainly think not.

If you want official confirmation, you can email BOS about it. Alternatively, complain to the head of maths. If your teacher is head of maths, complain to the principle or somebody else higher (though it would be wise to first check whether or not they plan to continue their their strange method of assessment next year).

You see, asessments are designed to assess what you know. Mathematics competitions are designed to test problem solving skills. As such, the two are incongruous and it should obviously be against BOS regulations to use a maths competition as an assessment, though you should probably simply wear it for year 11.

HSC
Slide Rule said:
I should certainly think not.

If you want official confirmation, you can email BOS about it. Alternatively, complain to the head of maths. If your teacher is head of maths, complain to the principle or somebody else higher (though it would be wise to first check whether or not they plan to continue their their strange method of assessment next year).

You see, asessments are designed to assess what you know. Mathematics competitions are designed to test problem solving skills. As such, the two are incongruous and it should obviously be against BOS regulations to use a maths competition as an assessment, though you should probably simply wear it for year 11.
Great. As long as they can't pull stunts next year when things actually matter, I'll let them get away with it...the y12's this year didn't get assessed through the comp, although y10 did...so hopefully we'll skip that as well. Ditto the maths oral, which I'm guaranteed to screw up on Wednesday. I have enough issues doing orals in English, how am I going to live a Maths oral down? **sigh** thanks for clearing things up though.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
A mathematics speech? No offense, but I'm glad I don't go to your school.

HSC
Slide Rule said:
A mathematics speech? No offense, but I'm glad I don't go to your school.
...**sigh**...I would like to find out exactly who is cooking up the assessment tasks (although I have a fair idea of who it is) and do something serious to their computer...although if I'm right, then this person is IT illiterate anyhow so it wouldn't make a difference

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
There is sort of a reason behind the weird assessment tasks: schools are meant to give you a variety of assessment types.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
There is sort of a reason behind the weird assessment tasks: schools are meant to give you a variety of assessment types.
For other subjects, yes. For mathematics going with all exams is fine by the BOS.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I never said it was a good reason. :p

casebash

HSC
Using the AMC as an assessment would be a good idea. I think we should do this state-wide.

HSC
casebash said:
Using the AMC as an assessment would be a good idea. I think we should do this state-wide.
**gets out wand** SECTUMS... :p nah, don't worry, you can hold strong your opinion.

But I've heard reports from a lot of girls who say they skipped 13 questions, which I find really awful. I'd hate to be in their position. And isn't the state average something like 10/30? **shrugs**

tennille

HSC
stella8h8chang said:
**gets out wand** SECTUMS... :p nah, don't worry, you can hold strong your opinion.

But I've heard reports from a lot of girls who say they skipped 13 questions, which I find really awful. I'd hate to be in their position. And isn't the state average something like 10/30? **shrugs**
I always guessed the last 10 questions or so. But I still managed to get a high credit. I really couldn't care less how I went in those. I think I got 14/30 for my last maths comp., lol.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
casebash said:
No it wouldn't. Most of AMC is about logical reasoning in mathematics, which is different from the syllabus. The multiple choice format and the short timeframe for it means that you would be taking a guess at some stage, and that would be impossible in normal maths exams. It also does not care about the method used as long as the solution is correct.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Templar said:
No it wouldn't. Most of AMC is about logical reasoning in mathematics, which is different from the syllabus. The multiple choice format and the short timeframe for it means that you would be taking a guess at some stage, and that would be impossible in normal maths exams. It also does not care about the method used as long as the solution is correct.
What he said.

The syllabus methods, and marking working, encourages thorough proofs of various things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)