• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

maths-drop it or do better? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i haven't been doing well in maths 2u lately. in fact i keep failing in my assessments and tests since i started the hsc course in term 4. i tried practicing and understanding questions from so many maths books but i still end up failing and i stuffed up my half yearlies already. i know cos i barely finished half of the exam. so far i already used up 35% of my maths assessment mark (all of which i failed) and my rank will also be terrible. my average mark is now 20-50% while last year it's 60-80% until i stuffed up my prelims which i got 50% and got worse since then. my first assessment mark for year 12 was 29% even though the exam was difficult. still alot of people passed from my maths class.

it is just too hard now and i still don't understand geo applications of calculus (except for the derivatives bit-that i understand), the locus and parabola crap and coordinate geometry. i don;t want to drop it since i want to do business or economics in uni. should i just drop to general or just try alot harder in the following holidays? i was aiming to get over 75% but i guess now it isn't possible anymore.

EDIT: if you think that i should stick to maths 2u, can you please give me some tips or advice on how i should improve in maths successfully? thanks if you can

Last edited:

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
my mate dropped to general from 2Unit.. basically because he was getting marks like you, but i was failing from yr 7-10 and started studying/listening in class/doing homework and maths is so easy now, one of my best subjects, i usually get 90+. All you have to do is stop worrying about other people and put in effort.. heh in saying that i plan to study maths all day tomorow for my half yearly on tues :)

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
that's what I'm saying man, what's the point taking time from others subjects when you can drop it. I mean if you've given it all the time you can afford, then maybe it's better off your timetable

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
incase you fuckup any other subject -- better to be safe than sorry, just get lucky in trials :p

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
I don't follow that theory. Why should she waste her time studying and worrying excessively over mathematics when she could be dedicating that time to other study. It doesn't make sense, she'll fuck up through over stressing over maths marks. I don't believe in that whole "10 units = suicide."

Estel

Tutor
HSC
To the original poster.
General maths is redundant. Don't do it.
Stop comparing yourself with your classmates. Just because you've surrounded yourself with fools who find it an achievement to get over 50%...

I find 2U maths can be beaten into even the incredibly stupid with the help of a ten foot pole.
Open a textbook, any textbook (other than Maths in Focus). Do every second question properly... if you get it wrong, try again. But be careful. See proviso below. Take your time.
Open MANSW past papers book. Do every question.
Insert help of willing volunteer who will beat you over the head everytime you get a question wrong.
Get 3 wrong in a row and get him to punch you in the gut.
90% is just 3 steps away. :p

Estel

Tutor
HSC
basically book of past papers.

your tutor sucks.

FinalFantasy

HSC
juz work harder and try to understand what your doing instead of just learning the method of how to answer the questions. if you just learn methods w\ out understanding, u will find even 2unit hard. u have to do da stuff logically.. remember to understand!

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
get a better tutor.

Memorising formulas will only get you some of the marks, to do well in maths you have to UNDERSTAND the formula you're memorising and APPLY them at the right time, in the right way.

Last edited:

FinalFantasy

HSC
Jago said:
get a better tutor.

Memorising formulas will only get you some of the marks, to do well in maths you have to UNDERSTAND the formula you're memorising and APPLY them at the right time, in the right way.
yep, i.e logic lol

Snow Pea!

Touch it Bring it Pay it
HSC
**freakstar87** said:
EDIT: if you think that i should stick to maths 2u, can you please give me some tips or advice on how i should improve in maths successfully? thanks if you can

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, i havent been able to pass a maths test in the HSC for a while, no matter how much i study.. judging by the date you set the thread, it's kinda too late to drop down. (I tlked to me teacher only recently to see if i should drop and apparently it still is too much strain because you have to catch up on heaps!) Other than studying and stuff, try a tutor, which im going to try to get. Another thing i was told is that people who are 95's in the UAI for mathematics are studying atleast 5 hours a night for maths.. which is kinda rough.. :( But if you do wanna drop do it quickly so you can get into the general course, but if not, yeh try a tutor or study 5 hrs a night!! lol

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Snow Pea! said:
Another thing i was told is that people who are 95's in the UAI for mathematics are studying atleast 5 hours a night for maths.. which is kinda rough.. :(
I can tell you now, that is not true, atleast for most people. Perhaps 5 hours a night for all subjects inclusive, but not for maths alone. Come to think of it, how would you even fit in 5 hours of maths a night, especially if you dont get home until like 4-5 pm, unless you dont concentrate on any other subjects?

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Well guys
im in the same boat as u....
i failed my 1st 2 assessments...
48% for calculus, locus and parabola
and 47% for sequences and series

my 1/2 yearly was 63% i was really happy with that...its not 90s... 63% is probably band 2 or something but it was an improvement for me.

I'm not good at maths, it doesnt come easily 2 me. I dont study maths as such. I just do my homework for it. B4 the exams i tried some questions from past papers. I used success one

i only do 11 units...so yeah i'm just hoping for the best i can, im not comparing myself 2 others...
dont compare, that will jus make u feel bad

let me know how ur decision goes **freakstar87**

joe

Snow Pea!

Touch it Bring it Pay it
HSC
acmilan said:
I can tell you now, that is not true, atleast for most people. Perhaps 5 hours a night for all subjects inclusive, but not for maths alone. Come to think of it, how would you even fit in 5 hours of maths a night, especially if you dont get home until like 4-5 pm, unless you dont concentrate on any other subjects?
Yeh i know, it did sound a bit dodgy, but he insisted. lol I do a language aswell and that takes up a fair amount of time in the evening, so doing lots of maths study which just bring me down further in my other subjects... im gonna try a tutor! lol :)

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
Just remember, a good tutor doesn't mean doing well in maths. You've gotta put in the work and do the study your tutor tells you. If he/she doesn't mention studying/homework he is a retard so get a new tutor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)