Maths in Focus (1 Viewer)

What is your opinion of the Maths in Focus textbook series?

• I love it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's okay, I don't mind it.

• I don't like it.

• The series is a joke.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schoey93

HSC
The set texts for Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 at my school are Maths in Focus textbooks. I do the Mathematics course and I am quite unimpressed with the content of the textbook. I am aware that the first topic, Basic Arithmetic and Algebra, is supposed to be relatively easy. However, the exercises in the Maths in Focus Preliminary Mathematics (2nd Edition) textbook for this topic (at least) are extremely easy so far. I thought that perhaps this could be said of all textbooks based on this course, but today my teacher asked us to solve some problems from Fitzpatrick's New Senior Mathematics 2 Unit Course and they were much more challenging than any exercises I have done from the class textbook.

Do you use a textbook from the Maths in Focus series? Do you like the text or not? Is Maths in Focus a joke book?

Please share your thoughts on this matter.

Last edited:

scroates

fresh meat
HSC
maths in focus is just diagnostic i.e. it is useful for revision. But for a challenge try questions from catholic trials. I didn't really use the textbook, but rather focused on doing as many past hsc papers as possible. Also spent all my time on 4unit.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Maths in Focus is useful for those struggling to understand the topic or are introduced to the topic for the very first time. Basically, it's more of an introductory type textbook.

mioumiou

HSC
The set texts for Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 at my school are Maths in Focus textbooks. I do the Mathematics course and I am quite unimpressed with the content of the textbook. I am aware that the first topic, Basic Arithmetic and Algebra, is supposed to be relatively easy. However, the exercises in the Maths in Focus Preliminary Mathematics (2nd Edition) textbook for this topic (at least) are extremely easy so far. I thought that perhaps this could be said of all textbooks based on this course, but today my teacher asked us to solve some problems from Fitzpatrick's New Senior Mathematics 2 Unit Course and they were much more challenging than any exercises I have done from the class textbook.

Do you use a textbook from the Maths in Focus series? Do you like the text or not? Is Maths in Focus a joke book?

Please share your thoughts on this matter.
Our school ONLY use Maths in Focus for both Year 11 and 12 and in both 2U and 3U courses. In our class, we've finished the first chapter of this book in three days (for the Year 11 Extension course). I agree that the first few chapters is way too easy.

And I even found out that the questions in the Year 11 Cambridge 2U is way harder than those questions in Maths in Focus. I've bought other textbooks like Cambridge and Fitzpatick so I don't mind using maths in Focus at school.

As it has been said above, Maths in Focus is good for those people who struggled with understanding the concepts in the Extension one course. But overall, the questions are just too straight forward and they're definitely a JOKE! :jaw:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Toss up between: "I don't like it" and "It's a joke". I was gonna put in "I don't like it", but accidentally clicked "It's a joke". Moron. :(

mioumiou

HSC
Toss up between: "I don't like it" and "It's a joke". I was gonna put in "I don't like it", but accidentally clicked "It's a joke". Moron. :(
But aren't they a bit similar? but it's okay, we get what you mean though. :spin:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
'It's a joke' was a bit too harsh (meaning it was shit for all). I agree with Trebla and Schoey, it's useless for kids that know their way around the syllabus, however it is useful to establish a basic foundation.

mioumiou

HSC
'It's a joke' was a bit too harsh (meaning it was shit for all). I agree with Trebla and Schoey, it's useless for kids that know their way around the syllabus, however it is useful to establish a basic foundation.
Haha, thanks for the explanation though. And I agree with you that maths in Focus is only useful when building a basic foundation but other than that, the questions are not very challenging. :sleep:

Schoey93

HSC
Haha, thanks for the explanation though. And I agree with you that maths in Focus is only useful when building a basic foundation but other than that, the questions are not very challenging. :sleep:
That's true. The books would, perhaps, be enhanced by the contribution of a second author. A brief biography of Margaret Grove does not appear in the books. This is a common feature in many textbooks, and normally the authors' credentials are mentioned. One may have achieved a Bachelor of Mathematics, the other may have achieved a Bachelor of Science.

Perhaps Margaret Grove doesn't have a degree in mathematics. Maybe maths is just a hobby of her's.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I used it for things I struggled with like Circle Geometry and Probability.

HSC
Uni Grad
Only one I ever used as it was all my school had, it was decent but I'm sure there's better.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
my teacher is friends with margaret grove haha. apparantely she's been teaching for maaaaaaaaaany years (so i doubt maths is just a hobby of hers) and she now teaches at TAFE somewhere in sydney..

i think maths in focus is fine
It's shit if your aiming for band 6.

Schoey93

HSC
It's shit if your aiming for band 6.
I'm aiming for a band 6. What do you recommend? Should I supplement MIF's weak points with questions from past papers? Or would a better solution be to regularly refer to Fitzpatrick's New Senior Mathematics: 2 Unit Course?

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Unless your school gives you Maths in Focus to study with and gives you an exam with questions worthy of the CSSA, then I don't see what's wrong with it.

I find that maths in focus is definitely enough. Explanations are succinct, layout is easy on the eyes.... I mean, if you understand all the basic concepts really well, then no question should be too hard.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm aiming for a band 6. What do you recommend? Should I supplement MIF's weak points with questions from past papers? Or would a better solution be to regularly refer to Fitzpatrick's New Senior Mathematics: 2 Unit Course?
Tbh MIF has very few strong points, I recommend using Cambridge and/or Fitzpatrick and revise using past papers.

mioumiou

HSC
that's true. The books would, perhaps, be enhanced by the contribution of a second author. A brief biography of margaret grove does not appear in the books. This is a common feature in many textbooks, and normally the authors' credentials are mentioned. One may have achieved a bachelor of mathematics, the other may have achieved a bachelor of science.

Perhaps margaret grove doesn't have a degree in mathematics. Maybe maths is just a hobby of her's.
lol :d

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)