• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths sucks (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Those who say mathematics is complicated, do not realise how complicated the world around them is.... Good quote
Nice quote by John Louis von Neumann

"The essence of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple"

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
think he means HSC maths, not general maths (as in maths in general). so i'd agree, maths does suck lol.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
mechanics is that hard you just have to actually study it

so much fail in this thread though

dekimasu

HSC
Maths is awesome!

You just happen to dislike it because, quite frankly you sound like you suck at it.

Just do lots of questions until you keep on getting them right :D
lol @ this fool who has UAI aim in their siggy. lol its not UAI nemore n00b its ATAR now learn to respect lrn2estatame your end of HSC score. lolrofl.

and btw, "franklie" learn to speel

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
I dislike Maths due to the fact that i gain no pleasure by repeatedly solving numerical problems. Though it is good that some people like it as i probably wouldn't be living in my house right now without it. :)

HSC
"It's not that I am smarter, I just stick with a problem longer" A.E.

:) There has to be that passion there

Thats what I think anyways. Do what you like doing.

Maths is not a compulsory subject

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
lol @ this fool who has UAI aim in their siggy. lol its not UAI nemore n00b its ATAR now learn to respect lrn2estatame your end of HSC score. lolrofl.

If you actually used your eyes and directed them towards by custom subtitle (i.e the line underneath my username) you might find out why it says UAI instead of ATAR.

Oh and way to call me a "noob" when you've posted < 20 times. By the way, if you actually opened up a dictionary, you'll find that it's spelt "frankly" not "franklie".

HSC
If you actually used your eyes and directed them towards by custom subtitle (i.e the line underneath my username) you might find out why it says UAI instead of ATAR.

Oh and way to call me a "noob" when you've posted < 20 times. By the way, if you actually opened up a dictionary, you'll find that it's spelt "frankly" not "franklie".
lol

shady145

Banned
HSC

lol, i have uai in my sig too XD mainly because i cbfed changing it. everyone knows its ATAR... learn to estimate your end of HSC score. its not score XD its rank... Australian Tertiary admissions RANK
gl in the HSC :rofl:

Cloesd

HSC
No, no... it Pains me to see Math seen like this.

The problem with the current maths education system is its founded by people who've never done real math in their lives. Starting from primary school.

Generally people who don't understand math, or suck at it, become primary school teachers (how many primary school teachers have even done a 2U maths course?), and they then teach the next generation their failure of an understanding on the subject. Then the kids, grow up, inhereting the same idea about maths as their primary school teacher (who first exposed them to it), and thus they too become primary school teachers due to their failure to grasp math. The academic cycle of mathematical failure, and because one teacher has many students, this problem is only going to get worse, the failure at maths is quite literally expanding at an exponential rate.

Math in the real world, is NEVER a set of problems with single solutions, like you see in textbook. Hell maths isn't even "IF john had a fence of 20 meters what's the biggest area he could make" (John can figure that out well enough for himself, without some 14 year old telling him he needs to get out a piece of paper and write some x's and y's).

What you learn in school are "special" and "common" cases of applications of mathematics, something like 5% of the entire mathematics world. What you learn in school is like, take for example the subject art.
Art is (im no artist) basically applying your creativity onto a page with whatever paint, to depict whatever you want. But where does it start? It starts in kindergarten where you have a picture with sections divided into numbers 1, 2, 3. Where each number represents a color, and your job is to color all the 1 bits green, all the 2 bits blue..etc, sure it can be rewarding now, that you have a pretty "WELL DONE" sticker on your page, but doing this for 12 years or more can be .... boring....

ALL of primary school, high school, and a good bit of university is the mathematical equivalent of this color in activity. Its awfully limited, and feels like your just following instructions over and over.

But take heart, real math is not this, and if you are failing this kind of "math" in school, YOU ARE NOT 'bad' at mathematics in any way, you are bad at being a computer, but that's what computers are for aren't they? Real math is basically "the science of patterns". Real math doesn't happen on pieces of paper with symphonies of X's and integral signs. Real math happens in a persons head, real math is basically thinking of an "idea" of how to find a quantity. The symbols and other stuff are just expressing your idea in an elitist way.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
No, no... it Pains me to see Math seen like this.

The problem with the current maths education system is its founded by people who've never done real math in their lives. Starting from primary school.

Generally people who don't understand math, or suck at it, become primary school teachers (how many primary school teachers have even done a 2U maths course?), and they then teach the next generation their failure of an understanding on the subject.

Math in the real world, is NEVER a set of problems with single solutions, like you see in textbook. Hell maths isn't even "IF john had a fence of 20 meters what's the biggest area he could make" (John can figure that out well enough for himself, without some 14 year old telling him he needs to get out a piece of paper and write some x's and y's).

What you learn in school are "special" and "common" cases of applications of mathematics, something like 5% of the entire mathematics world. What you learn in school is like, take for example the subject art.
Art is (im no artist) basically applying your creativity onto a page with whatever paint, to depict whatever you want. But where does it start? It starts in kindergarten where you have a picture with sections divided into numbers 1, 2, 3. Where each number represents a color, and your job is to color all the 1 bits green, all the 2 bits blue..etc, sure it can be rewarding now, that you have a pretty "WELL DONE" sticker on your page, but doing this for 12 years or more can be .... boring....

ALL of primary school, high school, and a good bit of university is the mathematical equivalent of this color in activity. Its awfully limited, and feels like your just following instructions over and over.

But take heart, real math is not this, and if you are failing this kind of "math" in school, YOU ARE NOT 'bad' at mathematics in any way, you are bad at being a computer, but that's what computers are for aren't they? Real math is basically "the science of patterns". Real math doesn't happen on pieces of paper with symphonies of X's and integral signs. Real math happens in a persons head, real math is basically thinking of an "idea" of how to find a quantity. The symbols and other stuff are just expressing your idea in an elitist way.
+1

though it doesnt hurt to be good at expressing maths in an elitist way, well in school anyway :haha:

HOPE'n'Krump

HSC
N/A
hmmmm nice posting guysh.....

is it possible to do every 2unit chapter in about....10 hours? got trials tomorow. YEEHA!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)