maths trouble. (1 Viewer)

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
at the moment, i'm really falling behind in maths and i'm really worried that its going to really affect my performance. i'm usually the only person in my class who doesn't get something and when it comes with homework, i usually get stuck on like more than half of the questions.

i'm considering dropping down to general maths, but i won't do anything yet until i get my first assessment task back. the only issue is, that my parents are not going to be happy about it. originally, i wanted to choose general maths but my dad wouldn't let me so i had to go with 2 unit.
and now i have go to maths tutorials (this thing my school has almost every afternoon which we can go to for maths help and stuff) pretty much every day, pay tons of money for a tutor and spend about 3 hours on maths homework every night.

what should i do?

TBK11

HSC
at the moment, i'm really falling behind in maths and i'm really worried that its going to really affect my performance. i'm usually the only person in my class who doesn't get something and when it comes with homework, i usually get stuck on like more than half of the questions.

i'm considering dropping down to general maths, but i won't do anything yet until i get my first assessment task back. the only issue is, that my parents are not going to be happy about it. originally, i wanted to choose general maths but my dad wouldn't let me so i had to go with 2 unit.
and now i have go to maths tutorials (this thing my school has almost every afternoon which we can go to for maths help and stuff) pretty much every day, pay tons of money for a tutor and spend about 3 hours on maths homework every night.

what should i do?
well that must be very time consuming but the best thing to do is have a talk with your parents and tell them your not happy with mathematics and you would be much for comfortable doing general maths, big deal if it scales bad like someone posted before he was averaging 56% in Mathematics then when he dropped down to General maths he was averaging 96%

whats better 56% or 96%
then again if your parents are putting a lot of money into tutoring for you it might be in the best interest then again its your choice entirely if your keen on doing general maths have a talk with your parents try convincing them

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
oh..
just a note on that.
i have to pay for my own tutoring.
how slack.

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
well wait for a exam, no offence but some people arent a maths person. and maybe your 1 of them. what helps me in maths is confidence, maybe you need some confidence.

HSC
general wont necessarily be easier than 2unit for you..

i heard people saying that general is completely different
to 2unit unlike 3unit and 2unit which are pretty much the same
+ the extension work on top..

HSC
stick with 2u. dont drop to general.

thats just my opinion. but think of it later. what do you want to do in uni? lots of courses in uni require mathematics, not general.

i think its worthwhile to spend all the time, effort n money to stay in 2u.

when you start getting 40% then consider dropping down. talk to your teachers as well.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
the school one is free.

the one..not at school isnt obviously.
i think i might stick with the school one for the moment though.

studentcheese

HSC
Wait until the exams come. There are some questions that you may not understand when the teacher explains it, but once the exam comes, the solution will just hit you.
e.g. I have a couple of questions I don't get which other students get, but during the exams, I still end up beating them :D I usually find out how to do them once the exam comes. I am also one of the top students at my school in Maths.

In regards to 2U or general Maths... if you can't understand the basics in 2U now, I think you might find general a bit difficult too. If you don't understand something, post it up and everyone will try to help you. If you really do drop to general, explain to your parents about the whole getting 80% in general is better than 50% in 2U. Tell them that the numerical score will look better than the subject you are doing. Make something like that up. I don't know about your parents, but my parents are pretty easy to convince.

I think you should go get a one on one tutor. DONT PAY FOR THE TUTORING YOURSELF! Tell your parents that you need their support during your HSC, and for you to pay for tutoring is NOT SUPPORT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)