Media Article: School Leaving Age 18 (4 Viewers)

boris

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Wouldn't it be funny though if there was only 1 teacher per 1000 students in the state, only a small fraction of the population got regular education, and teachers got paid at least 120k? :D
Define funny.

boris

Banned
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Actually darl, we are looking at no more than 20 for 2010 (across to degrees...if everyone stays). I, will be graduating in 2011 (with the 08 group). This years group looks to have about 30 across 2 degrees. We win.
O rly? There are 90 kids (distance and internal) doing med sc or some variation. Not many of the distance ones are keen on staying in med sc.

CSU's Pharmacy and Med Sc degrees are basically identicle for the first 3 years (but u cant do pharmacy by distance, med sc u can), so a heap of people are doing Med Sc for three years and then getting a transfer into pharmacy internally for 4th year

tricky, tricky. I think my degree has a pretty high failure rate mang, :(

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The Dip Ed won't exist from next year

also, in the 06 starting cohort i'm the only physics majoring teacher at my uni :D

ON TOPIC: People should be able to leave school by 15 or 16 if they want.

boris

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
The Dip Ed won't exist from next year

also, in the 06 starting cohort i'm the only physics majoring teacher at my uni :D

ON TOPIC: People should be able to leave school by 15 or 16 if they want.
Yeah but when they leave, what do they do?

Surely you don't support the idea of them leaving school and just fucking around for the next few years?

bassistx

HSC
I can't believe only 20-30 teachers graduate (from a single course/uni).

Boris for health minister (alternatively, adviser to education minister)

boris

Banned
HSC
lol @ 40 graduates over 5 degrees.

That statistic sucks wang, mang.

boris

Banned
HSC
I don't know what CSU's is like, I think last year 2000ish graduated from Wagga alone, (all degrees)... Our grad employment is 3 points higher than the nat. average though :)

bassistx

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
So repeat what has been said multiple times?
I apologise.
It's hard to get into uni and then half of them dropout... Shame.

michael1990

HSC
Well my opinion is...

It will be good for the people who do not know what they are going to do.

It will be quite bad for the people who want to learn but are disrupted by the people who don't.

Not to mention they will need more and more teachers to cover the amount of kids now coming through the schools.

So that would mean more government funding for Public Schools and higher fees for Private Schools.

boris

Banned
HSC
michael1990 said:
Well my opinion is...

It will be good for the people who do not know what they are going to do.

It will be quite bad for the people who want to learn but are disrupted by the people who don't.

Not to mention they will need more and more teachers to cover the amount of kids now coming through the schools.

So that would mean more government funding for Public Schools and higher fees for Private Schools.
What?

michael1990

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
And more people to go into education degrees. And that means cutting HECS costs (more), improving salaries and actually giving a flying fuck. It's not going to work.
it would work, if the effort was to be put in.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
boris said:
Yeah but when they leave, what do they do?

Surely you don't support the idea of them leaving school and just fucking around for the next few years?
as opposed to fucking around for the next few years while being a major issue for teachers, students and other school staff?

boris

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
as opposed to fucking around for the next few years while being a major issue for teachers, students and other school staff?
So? We're just encouraging them to be fucking hopeless by letting them drop out and do nothing. If they can't hack it in school because of behavioural or learning problems the worst thing we can do is to give them a press pass to do nothing.

They can go out and get a job or learn a trade. Fuck letting them sit on welfare because they can't handle it.

boris

Banned
HSC
bassistx said:
What's wrong with a gap year though?
A gap year doing what? Nothing?

Most people who finish school and take a gap year alteast get a job or go travelling, you'd be hard pressed to find them doing nothing. And a gap year from what? At 15 what do you need a gap year from?

The trials and tribulations of horrible year 10?

Get a grip.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bassistx said:
What's wrong with a gap year though?
Oh I don't think there's anything wrong with a gap year as long as you put it to good use...I kind of wish I'd taken one sometimes...but kids who just drop out of school and sit around for a year playing xbox is a bit pathetic.

There need to be incentives to work. Cutting welfare to kids who aren't doing anything useful would be one thing I'd advocate. If you're making yourself useful, by all means get some government support, but if not, forget it. :D

bassistx

HSC
Travelling or getting a job is a break from studying.
So you agree then :D

boris

Banned
HSC
Dropping out after year 10 does not consitute as a break from studying if you're going to sit on your arse and do nothing but be a deviant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)