Melbourne Uni Colleges (1 Viewer)

Niek

HSC
So what kind of things do Melbourne uni colleges do to freshers during o-week/the whole year? I've heard some pretty bad things about colleges in Sydney, but apparently it's actually quite fun being left in the middle of nowhere with no money, clothes or phone... haha

Miner

HSC
So what kind of things do Melbourne uni colleges do to freshers during o-week/the whole year? I've heard some pretty bad things about colleges in Sydney, but apparently it's actually quite fun being left in the middle of nowhere with no money, clothes or phone... haha
I'd suggest your info is either old or exaggerated because Duty of Care has stopped much of this kind of activity no matter which state you live in. Most colleges in O week will have a couple of themed dances, a scavenger hunt, maybe a quiz night, a corridor function, a pub night, and I doubt a fresher would ever get through an O-Week without being soaked at least once, but you will get to keep your clothes on. There will likely be some kind of welcome BBQ, and possibly a pancake breakfast or similar during the week. All their first week activities revolve around getting people mixing and developing support networks. You'll also get the much more boring fire drills, anti-harrasment and bullying wokshops.

Niek

HSC
ahh thanks Miner, that sounds a lot better than the stuff I've heard :haha: which probably is exaggerated, but its still pretty scary ha

Miner

HSC
ahh thanks Miner, that sounds a lot better than the stuff I've heard :haha: which probably is exaggerated, but its still pretty scary ha
Don't be scared of them, colleges are a great way to start uni life particularly if you are going to a new city. You will be surrounded by people who have the same pressures as you, and will support you when you need it, and what'smore you don't have to leave home to party. Most other uni students will actuallt envy you your lifestyle.

I went to one, my brother is currently in one, and the younger brother is looking forward to going to one next year. He already has his place confirmed for next year. The real downside of the colleges is that the food can be pretty medicre or worse at the catered ones, but there is nothing to say you have to eat every meal there. We just always made sure that every time we went for a pub meal we made sure to order steak, because there was no such thing as a nice steak on a college menu.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
It's nothing that drastic but it isn't as tame as Miner paints it...what college did you go to miner?

Our oweek started with sitting in a room in dead silence for 2 hours (if you spoke you got a cold shower & screamed at), fresher 'exams', getting soaked, getting dirty, seeing a bit of nudity, a lot (LOT) of drinking, beach days, teamwork games, bit more drinking.
It was a great way of breaking down social barriers and getting to know your fellow fresher.
Oh and there was an afternoon of formal stuff, evacuation procedure and sexual harrassment policies...

molmont

HSC
I'm looking to go to Melbourne Uni next year and I was wondering why so many people dislike Ormond College?

molmont

HSC
I was also wondering just how hard it is to get into Queen's college as that would be my first choice. Going to Melbourne from rural NSW would I need a very large ATAR, would I have to have held leadership roles, or done community work etc???

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Can someone please answer the following Q, would really appreciate it:
Firstly, I think my first preference will be University College, but this isn't a definite.

Ok:
1-What actually occurs on O-week? I want to go to alot of parties, hit alot of pubs etc etc. All of which will be a part of breaking down social barriers and meeting new people. Also, since the O-week is the week before University commencement, are you admitted to a college before this week? or do you have to find your own accomodation in this week, then start college and uni the following week.

2-Is there a curfew at UC? Like do you have to be back in your room by a certain time etc etc. Say i hit the town till 4am, could i get in?

3- Are other people allowed to stay in your room with you? like say you meet a girl out, would they allow her into your room for the night? I know your prob thinking "pfft, tryhard" but i mean if i'm staying there for 5 years or something its something i wanna know.

4- Would a UAI of 97.8 (MX2, Physics, Chemistry, English, Pdhpe) + 9 months of experience in a related field (e.g. construction) to what your going to study (Engineering)+ Letter of reference from the project manager, be enough to ensure a position at the college?

Thanks again guys.

Elite.Meat

fuck you all
HSC
Im in year 12 in rural vic at the moment and looking at melb uni next year. Looking at Hildas and Marys for colleges and wondering what every ones opinions are and why Hildas seems to have a bit of a bad rep.
cause they're mad cunts who party basically all the time. 3 nights a week at the pub, college parties fortnights, that sort of shizzle. other colleges just jealous.

Whatever.

HSC
I'd suggest your info is either old or exaggerated because Duty of Care has stopped much of this kind of activity no matter which state you live in. Most colleges in O week will have a couple of themed dances, a scavenger hunt, maybe a quiz night, a corridor function, a pub night, and I doubt a fresher would ever get through an O-Week without being soaked at least once, but you will get to keep your clothes on. There will likely be some kind of welcome BBQ, and possibly a pancake breakfast or similar during the week. All their first week activities revolve around getting people mixing and developing support networks. You'll also get the much more boring fire drills, anti-harrasment and bullying wokshops.

We were woken up at 6, stripped down to our underwear, blindfolded and walked through the city. we also had a scav hunt (many of the things we had to do involved getting naked), a pool session, a pub crawl (15 pubs between 10 and 6) a few pub nights and a couple of turns.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
We were woken up at 6, stripped down to our underwear, blindfolded and walked through the city. we also had a scav hunt (many of the things we had to do involved getting naked), a pool session, a pub crawl (15 pubs between 10 and 6) a few pub nights and a couple of turns.
Awesome, that sounds like my kind of night. You staying at a college? that would make it 100fold more epic wouldnt it

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
Can someone please answer the following Q, would really appreciate it:
Firstly, I think my first preference will be University College, but this isn't a definite.

Ok:
1-What actually occurs on O-week? I want to go to alot of parties, hit alot of pubs etc etc. All of which will be a part of breaking down social barriers and meeting new people. Also, since the O-week is the week before University commencement, are you admitted to a college before this week? or do you have to find your own accomodation in this week, then start college and uni the following week.

2-Is there a curfew at UC? Like do you have to be back in your room by a certain time etc etc. Say i hit the town till 4am, could i get in?

3- Are other people allowed to stay in your room with you? like say you meet a girl out, would they allow her into your room for the night? I know your prob thinking "pfft, tryhard" but i mean if i'm staying there for 5 years or something its something i wanna know.

4- Would a UAI of 97.8 (MX2, Physics, Chemistry, English, Pdhpe) + 9 months of experience in a related field (e.g. construction) to what your going to study (Engineering)+ Letter of reference from the project manager, be enough to ensure a position at the college?

Thanks again guys.
1. Drinking, games, scav hunts, talks, drinking, drinking, more drinking, a bit of scoring. I think you find out if you're into college a few days after you're offered a place in your degree. However, if you deferred from uni to work, and you're already into a course, you may get a place before christmas (that was my situation)

2. No there isn't a curfew. You're 18/19, not 5.

3. Depends upon the college I guess, but I haven't heard of a college where this was a problem. It's also probably worth telling you that you won't be there for 5 years. Average stay at a college is 2/3 years. They're rad places, but you get sick of them after a while.

4. Your UAI, job, letter of reference, whatever, won't guarantee you a place in college and it's silly to think that such superficial things as those, actually assess what kind of person you are. They interview you. If you go in and act like a complete tool, then you don't get into college. If you come across as a mature person who understands what college entails and you are passionate about your education and having a good time, you might get into college.
For my old college (Queen's), they have approx 300-400 first preference applications, for anywhere between 80-110 place (the number of places is determined by the number of seniors staying on). You've got to realise that although you might be a shit-hot applicant, there are 200 other shit-hot applicants wanting a place too. You've got to have a back up plan. If you don't have a back up plan, then you could find yourself homeless at the commencement of semester!

Btw, in terms of the preference thing. When I applied (I don't know if it's still the case), you applied on a form that was for all colleges, and then you listed your preferences on the front.
It's worth noting that due to the number of applicants for college, most colleges only look at their 1st preferences, and most college's places will be filled by 1st preference applicants only. If you don't get into your first preference and think, 'oh it's ok, I have 5 other colleges listed', then you're most probably in a bit of a pickle, as your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th preferences won't have any places left, and therefore won't look at your application, no matter how good you are.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
I was also wondering just how hard it is to get into Queen's college as that would be my first choice. Going to Melbourne from rural NSW would I need a very large ATAR, would I have to have held leadership roles, or done community work etc???
Hey, I went to Queen's for 2 years, came from Albury down to Melbourne.

They will only look at a student with a UAI (sorry, ATAR for you new kids on the block) of below 90 if you're an exceptional applicant.

I didn't hold any leadership roles at high school, but I was one of a few who didn't. I think that in my year, most students were either Captains, Vice(or Co) Captains, Prefects or House Captains during Year 12. I think what got me in was my CV. I've done a lot of volunteer work, and I did stuff in the Arts and Sport. They like well-rounded applicants.

And act like you're mature, even if you're not.

RARA03

HSC
Does anyone know anything about University College for melb uni? Because i recieved an offer and don't know anyone who goes there or any form of information so please do tell :D
Cheers guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)