Melbourne Uni Colleges (1 Viewer)

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi to any Melbourne Uni students ...

I'm in Year 12 and hoping to study at Melbourne Uni;

is anyone prepared to influence my college choice?

Come on, tell me the stuff that you wouldn't usually discover until after you've actually unpacked your bags.

I'm only interested in the 7 on campus (south of College Crescent); I already know about Tin Alley.

Look forward to your posts! :)

Last edited:

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Sexy?

hmm ...

Q: Is it true that there are only mixed bathrooms at Ormond?

Which of the colleges have single sex bathrooms?

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
After much internet research, it looks like my first preference is going to be Queen's ... I don't suppose there are any frantic objections?

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hey Kiddokyo,

I'm at Queen's at the moment, as a very enthused fresher! It's an excellent college, and very competitive to get into. The intake of freshers next year in particular will be very very competitive as many of the first and second years currently residing at Queen's intend to stay on for another year (the intake of the fresher group is dictated by the number of returning students).
If you want to know anything about Queen's please feel free to PM me.
And on the bathroom thing, you'll find that every college has mixed sex bathrooms (i'm not 100% sure on that)...but you'll be surprised how clean boys can be!

And as for Ormond...you don't want to go there.

:)

jihoihgggbghmkl

HSC
Hey I went on a tour or Newman.. It was very nice lookin and stuff but if ur not really into wearing academic gowns to dinner 3 times a week and havin parties once a semester that finish at 12 then i would suggest u dont go there.. In short it was very regal and was definitely for the academics not the ones who are looking for a more relaxed enviro...

seand_

HSC
Hey skillo,

I'm currently going through the application process for Queen's College and was wondering if you could tell me just how competitive it is to get in? For example, if I get an ENTER in the high 90s does that pretty much secure me a place?

Also, in regards to the scholarships, how are the general ones awarded? since on the website they don't really have a criteria listed for some scholarships? Are there many people at Queens who actually live in Melbourne just have chosen to reside in the College - just want to check that I won't be the only city guy living there!

Thanks,

-sean.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Well
well
well,
I have finally applied to the college of my final choice and just have to clear up the extra requirements, you know, like references, before I arrange for an interview.

Just out of curiosity, what do they ask? :)

smashy

HSC
We went to Ormond for a night for our Yr 12 'Camp'... unisex toilets/bathrooms, condom vending machine... it seemed kinda crap tho.

good luck :)

muselara

Melb Uni
HSC
i'm at whitley.
the atmosphere is awesome.
i';m not going to go on about it, because i know you will all just go "you don't know what mine is like"blahblah
but i honestly reckon that whitley would have the best atmosphere out of all of the colleges.
not too big, not too small, not a dry college, lots of things on all the time
:D LOVE IT!!

Iceman145

Unimelb
HSC
I'm sorry, but i think whitley is a little small. And far away. Haha to be fair, i think most people like their own college. Except for a few colleges *cough* Hildas *cough*

I'm at newman, and personally (and quite objectively) i think it's one of the best. If not the best.

In terms of size, Trinity, Ormond, Queens and Newman are the biggest colleges (250-ish ppl). Trinity and ormond are the most expensive, and you have to pay for lunch. Their food is reputed to be.. not so edible.. but the security's pretty good. a lot of smart kids go to trinity for some reason. They have heaps of national scholars.

Newman has really cool people, the rooms are alright (fair bit bigger than trinity's, that's for sure!). The food's good, which is important. And we kickass at sport. Male footy champions for another year in a row, i've lost count. (intercollege sport).

And we have the quad. And turns (whole-college party couple times a semester). And we're closer to the pubs. And swanston street is the place to be. And we're close to uni (closest, asides from mary's and trinity).

Briefly, Trinity and ormond are expensive, marys, whitley, medley and ridley (does that still exist?) are small (way small in some cases), IH is pretty good but far away, UC's pretty good too, Hildas is crap (our archenemies), Queens is pretty good, Newman kicks ass. (Wearing aca gowns is annoying but, meh. it's not tooo often during the year)

muselara

Melb Uni
HSC
whitley is not far away.
it's a 10 min walk from uni.
perfect location- across the road from prinny and royal park, 10 min walk to uni, 10 min walk to brunswick shops, 10 min tram ride to the city. boo yah!

Pr0digy

Veritas Lux Mea
HSC
So I got into Queen's College... just got a call from 'em yesterday... what about other people here?

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Here's a question with a single-word answer:

What's the first word that comes into your mind when you hear the words Trinity College?

pete shearman

HSC
hey, hey ok. im going to newman. im soooo excited. basically iv never heard of all these other colleges besides trinity, queens and st mary's so i have no idea which are the best. but i guess newman must rock because the dean tried to drill me in the interview.

''oh yes many people get these wondrous ENTER scores and then i sit them down at the end of sem 1 with report cards in hand inquiring as to why it is these genuises can only manage a bare pass in the 50s"

she wished she was royal english - but more importantly it seems to have pretty high expectations and awesome facilities - billiards, its own library, coffee lounge, etc. i know two of the people going this year scored 99.95 and are from xavier so im like, jeez, no scholarship chances for me then. i very adeptly dodged all catholic questions. i should be the guy from 'thank you for smoking'

Pr0digy

Veritas Lux Mea
HSC
HAHHA... Ormond's and Queen's are the most popular. Screw Newman's ;)

Hey hsc=suicide, you got rejected?! :O What was ur ENTER?

A

aanka

how does one get about applying for a course in melbourne? Is it through the VTAC?

hsc=suicide

HSC
aanka said:
how does one get about applying for a course in melbourne? Is it through the VTAC?
strange thread to be asking that. but yes you use VTAC to apply for courses in the same way you use UAC in NSW to apply for courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)