Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater REVIEW!!! (1 Viewer)

leathaface

Straight from leathaface...

MGS 3: Snake Eater, US Version review.

Rating out of 10: 8

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater does make a lot of alterations to the critically acclaimed series. First Off, the setting is different, gone are the high tech labratories and fortresses, and we are taken to the jungle and caves, gone are that radar that appears on the top corner of your screen (well there is a radar item that you can equip, but it doesn't look like the MGS radar you expect), and a new sneaking system which makes the game much more difficult to play.

After much speculation about who this Snake is, he is indeed Big boss before he was Big Boss, this story is his transformation and what caused this Snake (Jack, or Naked Snake, as he is known on this mission) to become the man who gave birth to the les Enfant Terribes project and the future Snakes. This story is also tells how Ocelot abandoned Mother Russia during the cold war as he mentions in MGS 2 and his role with the patriots (not called that in MGS 3). Yes! This game is a prequel to MGS 1 and 2.

MGS 3 features no radar system, there are radars that can be equipped, but they don't contribnbute much use and uses batteries and can get used up, just like bullets and... supressors. Yes! You have to find suppressors scattered across the game. However, what makes up for this is the new sneaking system. Quip camoflague and face pains and you have a better chance of hiding from enemies when blended in the right environments. Also, to assist your aid in enemy tracking, we are given D Mic, AP Sensors and your binoculars, as well as two radars that look like the Counterstrike radar. This is the 1960s after all, and we don't even have the codec in this game... its just a radio.

What's a change to MGS 3 in terms of the enemy confrontations is when you are spotted, we are not immediatly taken to alert mode, the enemy will shoot you and try to get away to make a radio call for backup. When this happens around 4 or 5 troopers arrive to assist, however, when they are all taken down, the alert mode is automatically called off, unlike MGS 1 and 2 where you are forced to fight enemy troops that just continually arrive. There are also traps laid across the lands that Snake travel on and will deal heavy damage once landed on.

The biggest addition to MGS 3 is both the stamina and cure system. You see, rations are no longer health recovery tools. They may taste bad or good, and this will add to the stamina bar that appears under the health bar. Snake eats these along with other food (snakes, Crocodiles, Mushrooms among other things) to regain stamina. Stamina will affect health recovery rate (yes, health does gradually recover on its own), speed, and strength. Also if Snakes gets really hungry stomache grumble sounds will alert guards.

The Cure system is also interestin as well, Snake is given a whole bunch of recovery tools that he can use to cure different parts of his body. For Example, snake is shot with tranquilizer darts, if they are left untreated he will gradually lose stamina at an alarming rate, but by entering into the Cure screen and using a knife to take it out and treating it with disinfectent will cure it. Its interesting, bu at times annoying.

Snake Eater's plot is my second favourite amongst the MGS trilogy... MGS1 is still unbeaten. The plot is the game strongest point and is what kept me going to the end. So is this game worth playing? Hell yes! If you want to know about the Patriots before they were called Patriots, ocelot before he was the Ocelot we all know (yes! Inlcuding *SPOLIER* How he learnt yo use the revolver and who taught him to use it... you'll be suprised * SPOLITER*, the original Metal Gear, and Big Boss before he was Big Boss, FOXHOUND before it was FOXHOUND, then MGS3: Snake Eater will answer all this for you. A small, very small step down in the gameplay compared with MGS2, but its new additions are interesting enough... and The battle with The End will give you headaches as it is the longest MGS Boss battle yet.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
mgs is one of *the* best games every created, then mgs2 was one of the shittest ever created.

leathaface

^ The fuck? When was there a part 4? Didn't you see the trailers? Final Chapter in the MGS trilogy...

*SPOILER* MGS 3 is a fucking prequel *END SPOILER*

Bone577

HSC
N/A
It is not like the story line makes a great deal of sense anyway. Soo excessive and really stretching the players patience with its long winded paths and cliches.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
is it really a prequel?
and bone557 i think the mgs story line is very well layed out/constructed
it's so realistic yet in its own world at the same time. While all the other tactical espionage games out there like splinter cell are absolutely shit and far too hard to please.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Li0n said:
is it really a prequel?
and bone557 i think the mgs story line is very well layed out/constructed
it's so realistic yet in its own world at the same time. While all the other tactical espionage games out there like splinter cell are absolutely shit and far too hard to please.
I'm not saying MGS is completely bad. I loved the original. But at my age now (19) the story seems rather contrived and cliched. I suppose we can be happy it isn't a Tom Clancy storyline.

S

Sheehan :)

MGS 2 SOL had an intense story line........although it was mostly compacted into the latter portion of the game.............Solid Snake Rules !!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I didnt know it was out already :/

I loved MGS2 after initially not liking it (its weird, dont ask).
I am looking forward to the 3rd one. it looks groovy... oh yes indeed.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
After reading that review, i'm wondering if i should finally play the first MGS before trying this one. apparently the reviewer thought MGS1 story was the best.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Argonaut said:
But it's real short. I have a demo of the Dock to Prison Cell B1 and can blast through it both ways (air vent on 1st and 2nd stories) undetected in under 10 minutes on Normal difficulty.
Note he said story :p
not play ^_^

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
But it's real short. I have a demo of the Dock to Prison Cell B1 and can blast through it both ways (air vent on 1st and 2nd stories) undetected in under 10 minutes on Normal difficulty.

10 minutes? thats a demo right?..lol. hope thats not the full game.

When i got my ps2 over 2 years ago i got a ps1 memory card (never had a ps1) and i still have no ps1 games, so i guess its time to get one. MGS looks the best contender and FF7 (or 8 or 9). but they are getting pretty hard to find now.

leathaface

By story, the reviewer (that is... me) include, the protagonists, the antagonists, and basically the way the story progressed.

In Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty, the story began on the Tanker, everything seems to be going very well. However, once Raiden's scenario kicked in, the story was lost. It moved from "BIG SHELL: a cleaning facility... stop terrorists before they blow it up, causing the biggest environmental disaster in history" to "BIG SHELL: the coverup for Arsenal Gear, the house of Multiple metal gears" to "Patriots: those who want to control information." the transistion from one twist to another, I feel, just came out of nowhere.

In Metal Gear 3, the story progressed very well, but there was too much of a love story in it... whether its Snake and the Boss or Snake and the other female lead. Nevertheless, the story of Metal Gear 3 comes very close to equal MGS 1's story.

Metal Gear Solid, everything was great, the fundamental issue of the threat of Metal Gear remains consistent from the first second of the game, and throughout the game, that's what it is about, Metal Gear, with a twist of Big Boss and Liquid Snake. Also, all the villains - Vulcan, Sniper, Revolver, Psycho, and even Decoy (even though he's not in it much) were all very interesting with a good backstory.

New FOXHOUSE > Dead Cell > and Sons Of The Boss

blackbunny

HSC
mgs3 is out in us and jap but it will come out in australian in march. i got a chip in my ps2 so i can play ntsc games :D

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
jeez, thanx alot letharface for tell me snake in mgs3 is the big boss, ruin the biggest twist, but then again explains why he was an adult when he should be a little kid in the sixties.......

PS2MODS

HSC
got the game already it pwns :) generally harder then the last, this time with a few extras added, things like backpack, surgery, and most importantly stanima bar (this u tend to watch out for rather then your health), there are NO nanomachines inside you this time, so therefore you have to rely on pure stealth, and you wont know where your enemies are coz of no radar :) u gotta hunt for food, and fresh too, if u keep it too long it goes rotten and youll get stomach aches ahah this game has everything :)

HSC
Snake Eater - Wow that has sexual connotations!

Besides that, I'm really keen on the new MG Solid. Can't wait for it to be released, I really should get my PS2 chipped ...

PS2MODS

HSC
blackbunny said:
wer did u buy the game from
overseas

Argonaut said:
... That's hardly a twist, as it was announced ages ago that Naked Snake is Big Boss.
actually it is big boss, if u think of it this is based right after world war 2, and at that time SOLID Snake would of been what? a toddler, this game is based during the cold war, when solid snake was still a young kid..

Italian Hotshot said:
Snake Eater - Wow that has sexual connotations!
you should see the intro to MGS3, kinda has a james bond feeling to it, Snake Eater is actually an intro 3 min song with vid clip the game, 007 all over again chaps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)