Module B: Critical Study of Texts (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Hempy

shobadaynature said:
I guess I did similar to yours, except I'm doing King Lear - the problem is that I didn't even extert too much of a personal opinion, nor did i reli state my point of view vs the "person who challenged me ".

I did an essay. Oh well.
Yeah I did King Lear. I only had 30 minutes, so I didn't even think about this whole defending my answer thing. And i did not know about the language and construction of the text or whatever, I was too busy stressing over interpretations and readings and critics.....now I am worried....oh well.

Hempy

I wasn't arguing.....now I am really worried. It was just an essay. I hate how we have 40 minutes to figure out a question and then write 10 pages answering it.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Hempy said:
I wasn't arguing.....now I am really worried. It was just an essay. I hate how we have 40 minutes to figure out a question and then write 10 pages answering it.
Don't sweat it. If you put forward a thesis with examples and evidence that constitutes an argument.

aarond

that stupid bloody speeches question, WTF THREE, why is our year the first time they decide to use THREE smeging speeches every other year its been two. the exam writers are wankers.

But oh well no more english ever, hella yeah, burn baby burn

niteshade1312

HSC
Yeah I think the form was way to open, but I did an essay. Essay is the basis for everything, sorry Emily Bronte... may have changed some words in your novel!!

offscone

HSC
I did heaps well in my other two sections... but i knew i was screwed for this one so i left it till last, ran out of time and only ended up talking about 2 poems anyway.. i didnt conclude, and it looked like i was going to talk about a third but i just ran out of time.. do you think there would be a maximum mark i can get for not talking about three? Like you knwo how they say you cant get more than say, 12, if you dont address the question?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
when it says defend "your personal response" how did you guys interpret that. At first I thought it meant your own reading/interpretation of the prescribed text... then I thought a bit more and ended up defending my response to the question the class was exploring, which was that Cloudstreet was worthy of future critical study because it has multiple layers of meaning and potential for interpretation bla bla bla... and then to evidence this thesis of sorts I just used the 'spiritual' reading + my own interpretation... to prove my point that Cloudstreet can be interpreted in different ways.

Did anyone spend time establishing and then debasing your foes arguments, or did we mostly just push our own arguments.

I did a 1st person essayish thing, talking about my 'classmate' like "my rival claims that...".

rusty_rouge

HSC
Yeah I wrote an essay too - with a very strong voice, but no terms like 'clasmate' or whatever - I simplified my response into an argumentative tyoe essay :D

Ahh well - what's done is done.

retrieve

HSC
N/A
on the text type anxiety...as you can see the text type wasn't specified therefore it is open to interpretation and as long as you covered the demands of the rubric you will be OK!!! trust me...

[H-S-C bludga]

HSC
SPEECHES essay was fantastic!! i used atwood, mcaleese and pearson and i reckon i nailed it!! i wrote 14pages all in all for that part... then anotha 10 for IN THE WILD and 12 for powerplay....

but hey im sure ur not dumb enough to believe me right?!?! LOL

speeches was terrible!!!!!! i used havel, king and goldman... but pretty much a truck load of BS...

reeny39

yer i had to do wilfred owwn n it was about 1 poem n i was like shit cause i learnt 3 poems, a bit about each not enough 2 constrate on one i only wrote 4pgs n yer neway NO MORE ENGLISH EVA!!!!!!YEW!!!

AreYouAlright?

Actuarial Co-op 2006
HSC
To me "critical analysis" implies so very strongly to do an essay but if you dealt with what needed to be said in any other text type i don't see how they could mark you wrong....

Fortify yourself with this idea.... the HSC is marked by teachers :D

Besides, we are all only really wanking with words...

bernz

Hungry. Feed me.
HSC
offscone said:
I did heaps well in my other two sections... but i knew i was screwed for this one so i left it till last, ran out of time and only ended up talking about 2 poems anyway.. i didnt conclude, and it looked like i was going to talk about a third but i just ran out of time.. do you think there would be a maximum mark i can get for not talking about three? Like you knwo how they say you cant get more than say, 12, if you dont address the question?
Well if it's missing both a poem and a conclusion, i don't know how well that will go. A lot of people in my grade didn't finish essays in the trials and the teacher told us that even if they were band 6 essays to that point, they had no conclusion and then she said something along the lines of losing marks... bleh, my brain is dead. THREE poems for Yeats. Wonderful (note the sarcasm). Luckily I kept changing which ones i was going to use during the year so I couldkind of remember some quotes and things that I could say stuff about. (insert more general incoherence here).

twang103

twang103
HSC
I got a bit freaked when i read the three poems bit cos i prepared two really well, and the night before i quickly looked over the other ones just incase they specified one. so i wrote about 5 times as much for the 2 prepared peoms than the other 1. I hope it doesnt cause me to lose too many marks. Anyway, NEVER HAVE TO THINK OF ENGLISH AGAIN!!! YAY

oldbearmanly

glycerine said:
In one word:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

This question fucked me over so hardcore! I did module C first cos it was easy and so I'm not too worried about that, but the 3 poems for Yeats things has single-handedly fucked up my HSC result for English. I am so unbelievably pissed off and angry and frustrated and upset. I even cried a little bit after the exam.

I was semi-prepared to do one if they asked for it specifically. But all my preparation was based around doing the two poems in depth. I could have handled that, albeit not with much grace and with probably the loss of a couple of marks. But this way, I was rushed the whole time, I was upset about being rushed and the fact that one of my poems was, really, pure BS and because I kept stopping to think about what I was writing for the forced extra poem, I lost time. Which then meant I didn't have time to go into my really sophisticated, well thought out and analytical stuff which probably would've guaranteed me full marks. Not to mention that I was so busy trying to remember quotes and techniques for Easter 1916 (my extra poem) that I forgot half of my critical quotes and ideas anyway.QUOTE]

Yeh....Our school did Yeats and Brave New World and Blade Runner aswell...and when everyone saw the word 3....people just started screaming and swearing out loud...One kid walked out of the exam...knocking his desk over saying "Thats bullshit..fuck it".................................

Our teacher said that, the question didn't say that all three poems have to be covered equally...as long as you made referrence...don't know...think his just making me feel better...hope it helps!!

tomakarooster

tomakarooster
HSC
Citizen Kane for Module B

Did anyone else do citizen kane for module B ? Just wondering wat u talked about if u did.. and of course it was an essay..i reckon anyone who did 'personal' responses or speeches or anythin like that is screwed.. The question said: "Your personal response has been challenged by another student. Defend your response through a critical evaluation." This is ONLY an essay..is it that hard to see ?

a n j a l i

Anjali
HSC
ryanl11 said:
3 speeches to analyse the techniques of, to give the intented reception, the reception of in the context, the reception of in a contemporary society and to give your own reception of whilst writing in a form of defending your reasons as to why you think the texts will be relevent in the future?
The English examiners are kidding themselves.

I also fail to see how the modules (such as Emma/Clueless) can be out of 20 where the Journeys synthesis essay is out of 15, and it has much much more depth it it, especially when studying 4 texts.
Amen to that.

Girra_girl

HSC
oldbearmanly said:
Our teacher said that, the question didn't say that all three poems have to be covered equally...as long as you made referrence...don't know...think his just making me feel better...hope it helps!!
I definitely hope so *crosses fingers* the idea of failing because I didn't make enough reference to the third poem will definitely drive me to seek sweet revenge on those exam-makers *grins wickedly* they will pay...

Why couldn't they just keep the number as it previously was? I know...because they are sadistic...they want to see us in PAIN!

Pixydust*

glycerine said:
In one word:

My teacher said, 'well, everyone's in the same position'. But that's the thing. They're NOT. Only the people who do poetry, speeches etc are. The people who did Lear and the like got no fucking surprises, only what was, on the whole, an easy question.
Im sorry about how your feeling but im sure you'll be surprised - you sound like someone who is very confident in english anyway so you couldnt possibly done as bad as you think you did - i mean, your under exam conditions, your not able to properly sort of reflect on the quality of your work. can i just say, i studied King Lear for critical and like most of my classmates, was really relieved with the question - i agree, it was easy. But preparing for it was not - unlike texts like wuthering heights etc i think the kind of questions they can ask about Lear are really broad - anything from focusing on scenes, characters, making your own production of the play. i was really worried walking into the exam for that reason.

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
tomakarooster said:
i reckon anyone who did 'personal' responses or speeches or anythin like that is screwed.. The question said: "Your personal response has been challenged by another student. Defend your response through a critical evaluation." This is ONLY an essay..is it that hard to see ?

Well, yeah, I think it is hard to see. The fact that our response has been challenged would suggest that theres been some sort of discussion of the whole thing, so wouldn't you be defending it in the same manner that it was challenged? Sure, if the other person had just written an essay focusing on a different perspective to ours, then we'd have to reply with an essay, but because it was *our* response to the study that was challenged, not the study itself, we'd have to reply argumentitively, as though someone had just come up to us and told us our view was screwed. Plus, a 'critical evaluation' could come in any form, so speeches etc would be accepted, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)