Module B: Critical Study of Texts (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Ultraviolent

Contemptuous Member
Uranus. lolololo do you see what I did there?! do
HSC
I don't see what this is suprising to so many people. Before the AoS essay, many people remarked that "at least one related text" meant that you should do two. Wouldn't it have been wise to prepare three poems? I did.

Essentially, you are supposed to learn the whole course, not a third of it.

Last edited:

thomdale

35 degrees 4 mins south, 150 degrees 40 mins east,
HSC
N/A
your jokin...

i did alright but seriously whats with this years paper. usually they'll say at least 1 realted text but this year they actually stepped it up... for all of them! 3 speeches!!! 2 related powerplay text...so not prepared for that.. ah well no more english!

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
I did a speech -- like I addressed the class and everything in a colloquial sort of way; but it kinda turned out like the response to a debate. Debating has screwed my idea of speech. I was maybe to scathing of the person I was meant to be disagreeing with, but dammit if he didn't agree with me, he *was* really an idiot :p

i query

HSC
yeah i wrote an essay, but i know some people at my school did a speech sort of thing. it was hard they didn't specify what to do. and plus i didn't get taught about the language and the construction of the text.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
For the third time on this forum, debate et speech. But I didnt address the class in my intro :(

lilkylie

HSC
harwood

arghhh 3 poems. it was to much and to little time to go in depth with the three

HSC
Nadia-Jane said:
I just did an essay aswell. It never really occured to me to do a discussion or conversation type dialogue response. It doesn't really say it was a class discussion, just that your class had been exploring the question, so for all that means it is just what the class had been learning about Cloudstreet. (well i did cloudstreet)

I did however include 'I beleive that tim winton has bla bla bla' stuff like that, which kinda makes it more of a personal response as opposed to just a straight out essay... i dunno about the dialogue and what not, but im pretty sure that if you only attacked it as a straight essay then you may not get the marks for where it says a 'personal response' in the criteria.. but who knows they may see some of the confusion it has caused and i have heard that in the past, if the markers realise that each student or a large range of students have approached or interpreted the question differently, then they are less harsh on the guidelines. So if we are lucky then that is what will happen.

I didn't include any response by the other student who disagreed with my views on the novel at all, just wrote my opinion. For all they know i am just writing an essay which highlights my opinions and thoughts about the text, but that doesnt necessarily mean that you have to outline why the other student has disagreed with you and what their beliefs about the text are.

'Defend your response through a critical evaluation of ' this just means that you have to support your claims with extracts from the text, not necessarily show an actual argument taking place...well at least i hope so haha

By the way, did anyone else here do cloudstreet? If so what types of things within ur main content did you talk about and discuss..like what aspects of the book?
I guess I did similar to yours, except I'm doing King Lear - the problem is that I didn't even extert too much of a personal opinion, nor did i reli state my point of view vs the "person who challenged me ".

I did an essay. Oh well.

Lois_87

I Love Gorden Tallis!
HSC
King Lear

I thought the question was a little open to interpretation, I'd have preferred that in King Lear they specified something to talk about. I still incorporated readings and productions though, along with themes and language. Hope its ok!

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
I would of thought that the text type was an 'argument' meaning that you should of written in first person. Regardless of whether it was a speech or a written response, it was totally ok, as long as it was in first person, and it resembled an argument rather than a simple explanation/essay.

tanyakim

HSC
oh thank god i wasnt the only one to do a conversation dialogue thing... i was so worried coz it seemed like my whole class had done an essay and some told me i was wrong lol. *wipes brow*

Mandy101

HSC
^I don't think it had to be in first person at all. I wrote in third person, but argued my point nethertheless.. "this signifies...", "this proves..." etc. I think the style of the question was pretty loose, so you could do anything.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
No, it did not have to be in first-person. I wrote a third-person essay imbued with more personal opinion than usual.

EDIT: Just re-read the question. It asks for a "critical evaluation" - I would interpret this as an essay, but they should have been clearer.

Last edited:

Nadia-Jane

HSC
shobadaynature said:
I guess I did similar to yours, except I'm doing King Lear - the problem is that I didn't even extert too much of a personal opinion, nor did i reli state my point of view vs the "person who challenged me ".

I did an essay. Oh well.

Yeah don't fret, i did the same. Or maybe i should just be fretting too haha

But no apart from my occasional "And this i beleive contributes to the bla bla bla" references, i basically aproached it as a straight forward essay. I didn't state what the other students opinion or argment was, i just wrote why i beleived the text was worthy of being a critical study.

And if the markers don't like it they can suck my balls... or just give me a real shitty mark :(

angelar

Well i think the only indication of a text type was where it said a 'critical evaluation' or something like that....i just did an essay, with a vague mention of "so you see its not just the use of rhetoric that makes a worthy speech....etc"....i was thinking later, that it kinda sounds like they were after an exposition, like a strong, argument piece...so i guess they cant really hammer us for text type, when it wasnt specific...

rocklobster

Lois_87 said:
I thought the question was a little open to interpretation, I'd have preferred that in King Lear they specified something to talk about. I still incorporated readings and productions though, along with themes and language. Hope its ok!

Oh I know I know I know I know!!!! I don't even get the topic for King Lear! What was I meant to know?!?!? I went fine in the other two but god, not such good news for old Shakespeare. I'll never read another book again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)