moleskine vs filofax vs el cheapo diary/planner (1 Viewer)

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
in terms of cost, usability, practicality, etc, what do you think is the best of the three and why [with particular consideration to the needs of the typical uni student]?

thanks

MooshyMoosh

HSC
Moleskine is bloody expensive, but it's sooo soft. No clue what filofax is.

In terms of practicality, they're all the same- a diary, planner etc. You just need it to keep track of your work and assessments. Heck, you might start using it for the first few weeks then forget about it and just scribble dates at the top or margin of your notebook.

But it depends on you I guess, I'd go for the cheap one, because I know if I bought a moleskine I'd just nuzzle it and not bear to use it :D

Lou283

HSC
MQ supplied us with one this year but before I got it I was just going to buy a cheaper one - by semester two it will just be all scribbled on and pages torn and stuff anyway. You can always buy a cheap one this year and then buy a better one next year when you are certain you will get the use out of it.

Also filofax are sometimes quite heavy with lots of unnecessary pages.

HSC
In terms of practicality, they're all the same- a diary, planner etc. You just need it to keep track of your work and assessments. Heck, you might start using it for the first few weeks then forget about it and just scribble dates at the top or margin of your notebook.

But it depends on you I guess, I'd go for the cheap one, because I know if I bought a moleskine I'd just nuzzle it and not bear to use it :D
I use my diary until about week 2, so the bold is just like me.

For what its worth though, I got an $8 newsagency diary.

rx34

HSC
I prefer the free ones the university gives you. I can just scribble on it and not care about it looking dirty. Plus it has the important dates (when to pay, exams) in the diary.

Andi0390

HSC
University ones get points from me because they usually have cool little relevant parts for students - plus they are cheap/free.

I don't like Filofax because they seem too expensive and too bulky, plus I just don't like the whole system - some people swear by them though.

I use Moleskine for stuff like diaries and journals. Yes its a bit more expensive but you if you look at it as an annual cost its quite cheap. I find that if I have something that is more expensive I am more likely to take care of it, write in it and not lose it. I put more value on them than I would a normal cheap diary. I currently have a Moleskine Pocket Weekly Diary (vertical). The size isn't for everyone though, the standard size is probably easier for some.

rx34

HSC
How much are Moleskine diaries?

I used Kikki K diaries before. They are pretty good, leatherbound and plenty of space to write on. I used them for two years and usually would buy them in January. They would be clearing their diaries and offer a 50% discount. Not bad for $15.

Andi0390

HSC
I think the pocket ones are about $25-30, the bigger ones are probably somewhere between $30 -40.

When I think about it the design isn't really great for students. Its good for recording basic info like appointments but anything more and there just isn't enough room. You could probably do better if you look around (function-wise).

debts

HSC
N/A
get moleskines off thebookdepository, it's like $16 bucks for their large and pocket sized ones.

i had a look at the filofax diaries, but they are too expensive initially; even if the refills offset the cost a little in following years.

X2RADialbomber

mandapanda
HSC
My diary cost 98 cents from BigW. I bought some fancy paper from the Reject Shop and decorated it. Looks pretty cool in my opinion. And it's a student diary too so it has all the relevant timetable, assignment and academic-related pages. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)