More Band 6 Results in Standard English (1 Viewer)

Lorie

HSC
well 1 band 6 last year, 2 this year, thats a 100% improvement.

If these trends continue.............ay!!

well done guys.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Yeah Cassie did well she was in my class for Standard and was always beating everyone, i was astounded that mel didn't get a band 6, she was almost always equal with cas

midget68

Band 5 and 6 in Standard English

Would it be accurate to say that the number of people getting higher bands (5&6) in Standard English is slowly increasing by the year? Does this mean that next year there will be around 3-5% getting band 5's and a few people getting band 6's?

If this is the case, is it because the exams for Standard are getting easier or is it because the marking and aligning is not as tough as it use to be? Or is it something else?

"Please explain."

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Do Standard English and Advanced English do the same test? I mean, they do *roughly* the same assessment tasks...

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Standard English do different texts to Advanced and our area of study was Physical journeys

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
As for number of people getting band 6 in Standard i believe it is increasing as two years ago it was imposssible to get a band 6 whereas it is now achievable

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
wow go casey!! can i also congratulate mel munoz from oakhill who got 89 in standard english.. just missed out on band 6 (but it still worked to her advantage uai wise)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
midget68 said:
Would it be accurate to say that the number of people getting higher bands (5&6) in Standard English is slowly increasing by the year? Does this mean that next year there will be around 3-5% getting band 5's and a few people getting band 6's?

If this is the case, is it because the exams for Standard are getting easier or is it because the marking and aligning is not as tough as it use to be? Or is it something else?

"Please explain."
The Board would say that the students are simply getting better.

They don't award Band 6 marks unless the work is of a Band 6 standard.

HSC
Maybe only 2 or 3 get BAND 6 because anyone who has the potential to excel in English will do Advanced.....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Lazarus said:

They don't award Band 6 marks unless the work is of a Band 6 standard.
Haha you're not cynical enough James:p

I personally think that the board is inflating the number of band 6's across most subjects to make it appear as if they are doing a good job by slowly improving the candidates. After all, if you were in the position to write your own progress report, wouldn't you make it a good one?;)

midget68

You right. The HSC has recieved quite a lot of criticism since its overhaul in 2000/01 and in response they are making it seem that results are improving by giving more band 6's across all subjects. I just hope next year, when I do the HSC, there will be much more band 5's and 6's in standard english.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
withoutaface said:
Haha you're not cynical enough James:p

I personally think that the board is inflating the number of band 6's across most subjects to make it appear as if they are doing a good job by slowly improving the candidates. After all, if you were in the position to write your own progress report, wouldn't you make it a good one?;)
Well.

I won't dispute that the thought has crossed my mind. :p

Until some kind of evidence is available though, I'll stick by what the Board says.

Be nice if those raw band cut-offs were released...

Melody

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Yeah Cassie did well she was in my class for Standard and was always beating everyone, i was astounded that mel didn't get a band 6, she was almost always equal with cas
I know!!
Was so prooud of Mel though -- 89, so close!!!!!!

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
It was your choice to do Standard though ...
no actually it wasnt...we came back to school after term 3 break and the people ranked in the mid ranges of adv were dropped to standard - and as much as we protested and cracked it they refussed to dhange our placings...all in all we helped our school without offering to...it sux

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Lazarus said:
It's not like they can be trusted - they hide anything that makes them look bad.

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
moose87 said:
no actually it wasnt...we came back to school after term 3 break and the people ranked in the mid ranges of adv were dropped to standard - and as much as we protested and cracked it they refussed to dhange our placings...all in all we helped our school without offering to...it sux
Sounds like the opposite to my school...they encouraged everyone to do Advanced. It was up to the students to choose to do Standard - even then, they were still encouraged to do Advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)