MQ Chatter Thread (2 Viewers)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Good luck my dear - I hope you figure it out.

One person in my group didn't have anything to do, so I made him review everyone else's and add stuff.

I had a test for ACCG101 and it was crazy easy. Not sure if I missed anything out but I assume I got close to 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. We all got granted a 2 week extension overnight so I'm in rather a good mood now! Looks like we haven't been taught all the content we need yet :lol:

Accg101 imo was a weirdly easy subject at times. Still, well done on an excellent result. Hopefully it's a good sign for things to come!

Well apparently ACCG224 is gonna get harder so I suppose that means I should try to study 26/7 for the subject so I don't repeat it :(
CASH FLOW STATEMENTS OF DOOOOOOMMMMMMMM

It's literally one of the reasons I failed the exam last semester. 1/4 of the paper and I didn't even have time to start it :cry:

We were doing them at PAL yesterday and they'd colour coded it to help us learn. If only it was colour coded in the final exam. Or T accounts made sense to me! :lol: (In an ironic twist, our PAL leader had a eureka! moment during the class and realised T accounts finally made sense to him. So I have no hope :D)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
We were doing them at PAL yesterday and they'd colour coded it to help us learn. If only it was colour coded in the final exam. Or T accounts made sense to me! :lol: (In an ironic twist, our PAL leader had a eureka! moment during the class and realised T accounts finally made sense to him. So I have no hope :D)

They should do the exam colour coded ;)

Well I only just found out that the cashflow thing that is worth 3% is due this week pretty much :( but at least it's a free 3%!

Orwell

HSC
Macquarie is so appealing to me.

Can anyone tell me anything about your Law faculty?

I don't understand why when people talk of 'best universities' Macquarie isn't usually mentioned :l

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad

I don't understand why when people talk of 'best universities' Macquarie isn't usually mentioned :l
InsoulvencyReaper is our resident law expert, so hopefully she'll have more to say on the faculty itself.

As for the whole "best universities" thing, there are a few things to consider:
-Many rankings are based on higher level research and publications. Obviously, research and publications don't directly correlate to the quality of teaching at an undergraduate level. Depending on what you want to study this might impact your decision, but for law, probably not.

-BoS in particular, has a very vocal community that leans towards selective schools, high atars, and USYD/UNSW. As you can probably see there are 3 of us that regularly talk here on the Macquarie group, and very little other posting. Simply put, USYD/UNSW students and people aiming for those universities tend to be more vocal here.

-Law has some what of a historical prestige attached to it. Other universities have offered it longer, there are more lawyers with degrees from those schools, and so when hiring they have a "Well I went to XYZ school, so this graduate would have been educated well like I was. I know nothing about BCD school, so I don't know about the quality of their education.".

It's sad, but it's a widely known issue in law. However, don't stop that from discouraging you. There are plenty of firms that will consider you, especially if your studying at one of the better known universities (none of these dodgy private college things). Attaining good grades, having extracurricular activities or a relevant part time job will set you apart and help your cause when applying for jobs in the future.

Frankly, UNSW/USYD probably have more funding, resources and regarded teaching staff that Macquarie. But you will still receive a quality education and you will be able to have a career, but its up to you to make sure your the best candidate when the time comes.

Orwell

HSC
I'm very fond of Macquarie, although I do understand the whole reputation attached with USYD/UNSW.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
All I can add to this, is with law, if you want to work at a major firm - there is an element of bias or more so, preference towards graduates at USYD/UNSW.

That being said, if you're topping Macquarie University, are generally well rounded and have great interpersonal skills there's nothing stopping you from landing a top role.

It all comes down to the quality of the candidate.

My marks in law aren't spectacular and albeit, my initial desire to practice, I no longer wish to pursue that path and I am looking to stay an accountant in insolvency.

If you've got the drive you can succeed anywhere.

Let me tell you, Macquarie University is a great multicultural environment, have great support structures and really good teaching staff who are there for you if you need it. I compare it to my initial experience at UNSW where it feels distant, cold and everyone seemed to be a little snobby (I was initially in business and it was first year)...

ameher

HSC
All I can add to this, is with law, if you want to work at a major firm - there is an element of bias or more so, preference towards graduates at USYD/UNSW.

That being said, if you're topping Macquarie University, are generally well rounded and have great interpersonal skills there's nothing stopping you from landing a top role.

It all comes down to the quality of the candidate.

My marks in law aren't spectacular and albeit, my initial desire to practice, I no longer wish to pursue that path and I am looking to stay an accountant in insolvency.

If you've got the drive you can succeed anywhere.

Let me tell you, Macquarie University is a great multicultural environment, have great support structures and really good teaching staff who are there for you if you need it. I compare it to my initial experience at UNSW where it feels distant, cold and everyone seemed to be a little snobby (I was initially in business and it was first year)...

Macquarie Law School has been around for over 40 years, and has some well established links to the big end of town. I have had a few partners i have worked with who graduated from MQ Law School and can relate to the experiences that i had at the uni.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC

Have heaps of friends at UNSW and USYD law schools but none of them seem to enjoy it as much as the people at macq. You still have a strong chance at an amazing career if you graduate from Macquarie Law School.

And if last night's law ball was anything to go by, Macquarie law society throws some damn good parties.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Have heaps of friends at UNSW and USYD law schools but none of them seem to enjoy it as much as the people at macq. You still have a strong chance at an amazing career if you graduate from Macquarie Law School.

And if last night's law ball was anything to go by, Macquarie law society throws some damn good parties.
Yeah MULs parties look pretty epic

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I'm so nervous about exams! [emoji51]

Torts quiz tomorrow - if it's anything like the sample quiz (which was terribly short and very basic) I'll be fine. I hope no curve balls will be thrown!

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm so nervous about exams! [emoji51]

Torts quiz tomorrow - if it's anything like the sample quiz (which was terribly short and very basic) I'll be fine. I hope no curve balls will be thrown!

Well if it goes any thing like contracts went for me, we got a really easy practice paper then a really hard in class test :(

Good luck for the test!

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Well if it goes any thing like contracts went for me, we got a really easy practice paper then a really hard in class test :(

Good luck for the test!
Thanks!

I found contracts relatively straight forward. It was the only law subject I didn't have issues in (and didn't want to die) [emoji24]

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks!

I found contracts relatively straight forward. It was the only law subject I didn't have issues in (and didn't want to die) [emoji24]

idk business law it takes me ages to remember/put thoughts into words

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)