MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Can anyone comment on how much the textbooks are needed for: AFIN250, ACCG224, ECON224, and ECON131?

I can weigh in for ACCG250, BUSL251 and ACCG200. They all needed textbooks as 250 has vague lecture notes, BUSL251 you're allowed to bring the book into the exam, and 200 is a classic Accounting subject that has extra info + homework from the textbook.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Can anyone comment on how much the textbooks are needed for: AFIN250, ACCG224, ECON224, and ECON131?

I can weigh in for ACCG250, BUSL251 and ACCG200. They all needed textbooks as 250 has vague lecture notes, BUSL251 you're allowed to bring the book into the exam, and 200 is a classic Accounting subject that has extra info + homework from the textbook.
ECON131- not at all. Just do the slides and tute questions and u will get a 80+, especially if u did 4 unit maths. It doesnt get harder than basic integration.

ACCG224- Im doing it this sem but if i recall correctly the unit guide said that there is weekly hw questions from there.

Anthel

HSC
N/A
Im doing ACCG250, ACCG200 and ISYS100 cos I hear that subject is a gpa booster.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad

250 u need book

mreditor16

HSC
(Asking for a friend), when are exam timetables for this sem expected to be released?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

ACCG224 : You only need it for tutorial questions, so if you can just get the questions of someone else/library I wouldn't bother buying the textbook.
ECON131: Don't bother with the textbook. The tutorial questions /lecture questions are useful enough.

Snowflek

HSC
Hey guys, i have a fee 'Fee for Second Half Year' which is like $150. How can i put it in my hecs or whatever it is?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
"Changes to the Student Parking offer will change from 1 October 2018
After student parking permits expire at the end of September this year, a new pay-by-app parking system will be introduced for the student population to use at Macquarie University. More details will follow announcing how to use the system, benefits for students and FAQs - stay tuned. If you have any questions please contact campusdevelopment@mq.edu.au."

https://www.mq.edu.au/about/contact...2MXk0XC9vTEhldllQY2lxTUVuVjNcL2JYU3duUzArIn0=

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hi, not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I'm having a hard time choosing between Commerce, Economics, Applied Finance, Business Analytics or Business Administration. I'm looking for an overall versatile degree (no matter what the major). Any suggestions or any information about their differences is appreciated.

I've looked at the unit guides for all and I'm still not too sure.

Thanks

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I'm having a hard time choosing between Commerce, Economics, Applied Finance, Business Analytics or Business Administration. I'm looking for an overall versatile degree (no matter what the major). Any suggestions or any information about their differences is appreciated.

I've looked at the unit guides for all and I'm still not too sure.

Thanks
Business Administration is probably the "broadest" degree option of the one that you have listed with subjects in forecasting, management, HR, Marketing and information systems.

I presume you mean handbook? as the unit guide justs cover information pertaining to subjects that can be taken at university.

What are you aiming to do longer term? Looking for employability? Another option potentially is to do a double degree.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Business Administration is probably the "broadest" degree option of the one that you have listed with subjects in forecasting, management, HR, Marketing and information systems.

I presume you mean handbook? as the unit guide justs cover information pertaining to subjects that can be taken at university.

What are you aiming to do longer term? Looking for employability? Another option potentially is to do a double degree.
Thank you for your reply :)

I find that the handbook is a bit vague in its explanation of the units (Idk maybe this is just me) and I like seeing the delivery schedule and resources for each unit to get a better feel for the content.

Employability is probably my priority. I don't really know what I specifically want to do. I've finished a Cert 3 Tafe Course in Accounting, and want to take a gap year and finish off my diploma/adv diploma, so for variety's sake, it might be nice to not do something SO accounting focused at uni (economics is ok tho).

Yeah I'd love to do a double degree (both business related), but I'm look at accepting my early entry to Advanced Science (Maths) and then turning it into a concurrent degree.

Based on this, do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Thank you for your reply :)

I find that the handbook is a bit vague in its explanation of the units (Idk maybe this is just me) and I like seeing the delivery schedule and resources for each unit to get a better feel for the content.

Employability is probably my priority. I don't really know what I specifically want to do. I've finished a Cert 3 Tafe Course in Accounting, and want to take a gap year and finish off my diploma/adv diploma, so for variety's sake, it might be nice to not do something SO accounting focused at uni (economics is ok tho).

Yeah I'd love to do a double degree (both business related), but I'm look at accepting my early entry to Advanced Science (Maths) and then turning it into a concurrent degree.

Based on this, do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks
How about trying out Actuarial Studies? You seem to have a strong maths base and a degree in Actuarial or even Actuarial/Applied Finance would provide you with so many opportunities to make a lot of money in banking/trading.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
How about trying out Actuarial Studies? You seem to have a strong maths base and a degree in Actuarial or even Actuarial/Applied Finance would provide you with so many opportunities to make a lot of money in banking/trading.
Actuarial is good and is well-recognised at Macquarie. However if you want a degree of competitiveness in the job market you really need to get a d average with all your exemptions plus ecs. To be honest, I wouldn't suggest doing a double degree with Actuarial unless you intended to pursue the the associate or fellow qualification. You'll also find the actuarial units are non-comparable to other units (from my experience so far). The lecturers are very good, the content difficult and often abstract in both principle and assessment i.e. ACST212 and their is a large emphasis on examinations particularly taking into account negative marking.

The general philosphy is "When you work as an actuary or in any other profession, if you have a dangerous misunderstanding of a concept you may provide incorrect advice to a client, possibly with severe financial consequences for your client and yourself. However, if you realise that you don’t understand a concept you may refrain from giving advice on it until you have filled the gaps in your knowledge. That is, dangerous misunderstandings have more serious consequences than a recognised lack of knowledge.

The grading philosophy and marking scales adopted in this unit (and in many other university units) reflect this situation. Correct relevant statements earn marks. Statements revealing dangerous misunderstandings result in the deduction of marks. If your answers reveal that your misunderstandings are very severe or numerous, you might earn a negative mark for a question. If a part of a question is worth x marks, the smallest mark you can be allocated for that part is –x marks.

As an example, a minor error when keying numbers into your calculator is not usually regarded as a dangerous error provided the resulting incorrect answer is plausible. However, if a calculator error results in an obviously unreasonable answer, such as a probability outside the range 0 to 1, or an expected value outside the range of possible outcomes for the random variable, and you fail to state that you realise this answer is unreasonable, this would be regarded as a dangerous misunderstanding."

In saying that, it's very rewarding and the staff and cohort are very supportive and want you to succeed. More than happy to provide more info if need be.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Tomorrow if you haven't already got a Linkedin photography, MPS is running a fundraising exercise whereby you pay a few dollars and get a headshot (with editing) that you can use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)