Mr 100% coaching college (1 Viewer)

oasfree

HSC
N/A
I got this from the SMH

www.smh.com.au - Study secrets from Mr 100 per cent

I still beleive that if you talk to a few of them you would get a figure of 1000% of JR students coming from a few coaching colleges in Sydney.

Still, it looks so interesting. Charging such a low fee. Having a long waiting list and only pick the best. Keeping a small operation rather than expand it and get more money. It looks Mr Ye is very smart. His students work for him in a way. They study hard, he gets the cash and good reputation. I suppose Mr Ye does not advertise because if he does, he would not be able to take more students any way. Advertising will do him more harm than good.

It is hard to start out but as soon as a college gets more students than it needs, just pick the kids from the top of the waiting list and collect money.

Now, this is a very clever man who knows what works and the wisdom not to be greedy.

warezfan

HSC
That's what James Ruse does.

Even if you look at those tutoring colleges like Matrix or Dr Du's, most of their student who gained 99UAI are from top tier selective schools.

Most Maths Olympiad contestants have IQ of 180+. People like Terry Tao, the Field's medalist, has an IQ in excess of 220.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If the claims of both men are correct, it means the two colleges between them are responsible for coaching 95 per cent of James Ruse's annual intake.
Now, warezfan, please shut up.

mioumiou

HSC

Even if you look at those tutoring colleges like Matrix or Dr Du's, most of their student who gained 99UAI are from top tier selective schools.

Most Maths Olympiad contestants have IQ of 180+. People like Terry Tao, the Field's medalist, has an IQ in excess of 220.
I wish I could have a smart brain like that........ :cry:

oasfree

HSC
N/A

While I don't trust the claims of both men. But I agree with warezfan that this is exactly what James Ruse is doing. It is picking up the highest performers, and nothing could go wrong. The fact that the highest performers are being pushed by parents to rush to JR to face those of same league is the trouble. Surely JR must be very careful in selecting their teachers to face these highest performers, but it is a self-fullfilling act. Pick the best and sit back to watch best results. Not much hardwork is being done.

I would like to get feedback from JR students about the culture at James Ruse. Is it all about academic performance? Is there any thing good for those who are also good at music, visual arts, sport, ... ? Or are they supposed to just throw everything non-academic aside and become nerdy?

The other thing I like JR students to help is about the profile marks for JR students. Do most of them scrape 240 - 250, or the marks evenly distribute between 240 to 280?

There is a phenomanon that when you get to the top, it is very hard to increase the performance. It is like you pay $500 for an amplifier that produces 90% fidelity of sound. If you want 95% you pay $1000. If you want 98% you pay $2500. If you want 99% you pay $10000. As an analogy, a student right at the top 0.5% of the population who is only 5% higher in profile marks but could be nearly 50% higher in intelligence. I know this is hard to say. Many people get top marks for simply having great memory. They remember all the stuff from coaching and just parrot that back into the SS tests. This ensure they get all the easy marks. Then they are also pretty smart to be able to get most of the harder problems right as well. But when we talk about who manage 95% plus on raw marks, we are talking about a very special league of students who could deal with all problems in the tests.

If JR students' SS test profile marks actually evenly distribute all the way to 280+ then JR indeed attracts the best of the best.

DucKy::

XDXDXD
HSC
Before it starts I want to say that I am sick and tired of JR-bashing, why don't you just type it into the search function and join one of those threads?

When I was at ruse I found the teachers were extremely dedicated to our education. The only exceptions were new teachers, recently hired idiots who thought they could ride on our reputation and not lift a finger. Certainly there were useless teachers like that, but we as students protested, petitioned and the teacher was removed. They are not representative of the mostly wonderful teachers at James Ruse. I don't know how things are now that there is a new principal.

A longstanding tradition at Ruse is the bronze/gold award system. Under the old prinicpal this was extremely popular and students were encouraged to actively participate in a range of extracurricular activities in a year and many in my cohort did. For myself, year after year I was in choir, performed in concerts, SRC, actively competed in all sports carnivals, represented my school in hockey and netball (yes and won prizes), ran fundraising events - I can go on but I doubt you'd be interested. My school army cadet unit was massive. I can assure you that everytime I met somebody who asked, "so do you like, study 18 hours a day? do you even know how to play sport?" they were ashamed when they realised they were unfairly stereotyping. I believe that the level of extracurricular activity at Ruse when I was a student could eclipse many other schools, selective and non-selective.

I was only aware of my marks when I hit Yr 12 and received my UAI estimate. I do not remember my selective school nor private school scholarship exam results.

I read the article on Mr Ye in the newspaper. My impression was of a man who genuinely enjoys teaching talented students and found no criticism. His ex-student (I presume?) admires him and to me that means something.

Last edited:

johnnydepp

HSC
all that gold/silver stuff is bullshit. lols if anyone actually bothers with that

and treskin sucks. ruse sucks. ms webb's hot

oasfree

HSC
N/A
Before it starts I want to say that I am sick and tired of JR-bashing, why don't you just type it into the search function and join one of those threads?
No bashing intended here. I am genuinely interested because my kid may head to JR next year, and I'd like to avoid it if it is not a good school. Schools change quickly so a few years may be a long time. For example, my niece went to Sydney Girls. Two years later she complained that the school had changed because the new kids did not seem to be interested in sports. The school suddenly lost a lot of sport spirit in just 2 years.

I am sure they have all sorts of association, sport, music, arts stuff but the level that students do these things could be so low. For example, most schools would have a choir and a band, but do they play classical music? Will there be places for pianists and violinists? Most don't offer anything near what elite private schools offer. Do they produce some top sportmen and women? Does JR produce some artists whose works are worth displaying at public galleries?

Is it easy to make friends? or students generally don't invite others for birth day parties as they are too busy going to coaching places. This is true of so many Oc classes and selective schools. JR is the highest performer among selective schools therefore this question should be raised.

These are my genuine questions so that I could pick JR among the choices. Otherwise a nearer SS would be good enough if it also has all other arts, sport and humanities stuff for students to do.

dp624

HSC
I honestly doubt many people get ~260+
from memory most [well, of those that knew + i talked to] are 240-250 with maybe a few 260s. I don't know of anyone with 270+, though there may be a few here and there.

culture; re: oasfree; your assumptions are wrong. while there are those who throw everything aside and be nerdy the vast majority of ruse gets into things :) while the top-tier sportsmen/women and musicians or artists are somewhat rare, they do exist here and there. do note that since it is not a private school, ruse does not have vast funds to spare on elite facilities.

i find that most ruse teachers are quite good. there are some who i'm not big fans of; but i won't bash on them like ducky has seen fit to :) most ruse students are self directed enough anyhow, especially in year 12. friends are quite easy to make, though it can get a bit 'cliquely' or exclusive in that some people tend to hang with the same 'group' of people at times and don't mix with the entire grade. people definitely aren't so antisocial that their entire time is taken up with tutoring; though you may find that the social life at ruse is probably less than that of another school, on average.

the competitiveness that you hear about definitely has some root, especially in the high achievers

Last edited:

oasfree

HSC
N/A
from memory most [well, of those that knew + i talked to] are 240-250 with maybe a few 260s. I don't know of anyone with 270+, though there may be a few here and there.

culture; re: oasfree; your assumptions are wrong. while there are those who throw everything aside and be nerdy the vast majority of ruse gets into things :) while the top-tier sportsmen/women and musicians or artists are somewhat rare, they do exist here and there. do note that since it is not a private school, ruse does not have vast funds to spare on elite facilities.

i find that most ruse teachers are quite good. there are some who i'm not big fans of; but i won't bash on them like ducky has seen fit to :) most ruse students are self directed enough anyhow, especially in year 12. friends are quite easy to make, though it can get a bit 'cliquely' or exclusive in that some people tend to hang with the same 'group' of people at times and don't mix with the entire grade. people definitely aren't so antisocial that their entire time is taken up with tutoring; though you may find that the social life at ruse is probably less than that of another school, on average.

the competitiveness that you hear about definitely has some root, especially in the high achievers
Thanks, that sounds reassuring. My former boss was a James Ruse student long ago and he was not a nerdy PhD. But at his time, there were hardly any Asian student in that school. Coaching was rare 30 years ago. People say that JR students are insanely competitive. I feel that students who enter SS mainly by hardwork and coaching would probably just miss out on JR. To enter JR may demand a bit more than just hardwork and memorising stuff from coaching places. That is why I really doubt what PreUni and Mr 100% coaching claimed. Those with highest ability tend to be able to do well without having to work flat out like others. And this is where JR students may actually have more time to play if they wish to. They could take it easy to grade 10 then race faster in the next 2 years.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
While I don't trust the claims of both men. But I agree with warezfan that this is exactly what James Ruse is doing. It is picking up the highest performers, and nothing could go wrong. The fact that the highest performers are being pushed by parents to rush to JR to face those of same league is the trouble. Surely JR must be very careful in selecting their teachers to face these highest performers, but it is a self-fullfilling act. Pick the best and sit back to watch best results. Not much hardwork is being done.

I would like to get feedback from JR students about the culture at James Ruse. Is it all about academic performance? Is there any thing good for those who are also good at music, visual arts, sport, ... ? Or are they supposed to just throw everything non-academic aside and become nerdy?

The other thing I like JR students to help is about the profile marks for JR students. Do most of them scrape 240 - 250, or the marks evenly distribute between 240 to 280?

There is a phenomanon that when you get to the top, it is very hard to increase the performance. It is like you pay $500 for an amplifier that produces 90% fidelity of sound. If you want 95% you pay $1000. If you want 98% you pay $2500. If you want 99% you pay $10000. As an analogy, a student right at the top 0.5% of the population who is only 5% higher in profile marks but could be nearly 50% higher in intelligence. I know this is hard to say. Many people get top marks for simply having great memory. They remember all the stuff from coaching and just parrot that back into the SS tests. This ensure they get all the easy marks. Then they are also pretty smart to be able to get most of the harder problems right as well. But when we talk about who manage 95% plus on raw marks, we are talking about a very special league of students who could deal with all problems in the tests.

If JR students' SS test profile marks actually evenly distribute all the way to 280+ then JR indeed attracts the best of the best.
I got 286. Does that count as good enough? Also there's plenty of extracurricular, and yes we have heavy involvement in that, especially our Cadets. There's also heaps of Sport, this year we were the best school in our division in Swimming, for example. Musical activities are fostered, and accelerated music is offered to kids good enough for it. Classical music is big. There's also heaps of other activities, some of whcih are unique to JR (farm related). Almost everyone I know has an extracurricular thing that they dedicate time to weekly.

Academic performance is encouraged, but really we dont do much till Year 11/12. I only started doing work in Year 11 when I realised I was in the bottom maths class and gonna fuck my future if I didn't pick it up. But really academics, whil important, is not really pushed so hard there's not time for anything else.

When I was at ruse I found the teachers were extremely dedicated to our education. The only exceptions were new teachers, recently hired idiots who thought they could ride on our reputation and not lift a finger. Certainly there were useless teachers like that, but we as students protested, petitioned and the teacher was removed. They are not representative of the mostly wonderful teachers at James Ruse. I don't know how things are now that there is a new principal.

A longstanding tradition at Ruse is the bronze/gold award system. Under the old prinicpal this was extremely popular and students were encouraged to actively participate in a range of extracurricular activities in a year and many in my cohort did. For myself, year after year I was in choir, performed in concerts, SRC, actively competed in all sports carnivals, represented my school in hockey and netball (yes and won prizes), ran fundraising events - I can go on but I doubt you'd be interested. My school army cadet unit was massive. I can assure you that everytime I met somebody who asked, "so do you like, study 18 hours a day? do you even know how to play sport?" they were ashamed when they realised they were unfairly stereotyping. I believe that the level of extracurricular activity at Ruse when I was a student could eclipse many other schools, selective and non-selective.

I was only aware of my marks when I hit Yr 12 and received my UAI estimate. I do not remember my selective school nor private school scholarship exam results.

I read the article on Mr Ye in the newspaper. My impression was of a man who genuinely enjoys teaching talented students and found no criticism. His ex-student (I presume?) admires him and to me that means something.
This.

No bashing intended here. I am genuinely interested because my kid may head to JR next year, and I'd like to avoid it if it is not a good school. Schools change quickly so a few years may be a long time. For example, my niece went to Sydney Girls. Two years later she complained that the school had changed because the new kids did not seem to be interested in sports. The school suddenly lost a lot of sport spirit in just 2 years.

I am sure they have all sorts of association, sport, music, arts stuff but the level that students do these things could be so low. For example, most schools would have a choir and a band, but do they play classical music? Will there be places for pianists and violinists? Most don't offer anything near what elite private schools offer. Do they produce some top sportmen and women? Does JR produce some artists whose works are worth displaying at public galleries?

Is it easy to make friends? or students generally don't invite others for birth day parties as they are too busy going to coaching places. This is true of so many Oc classes and selective schools. JR is the highest performer among selective schools therefore this question should be raised.

These are my genuine questions so that I could pick JR among the choices. Otherwise a nearer SS would be good enough if it also has all other arts, sport and humanities stuff for students to do.
Answered above. They have everything. I know some top sportsmen (11second sprinters and the like), some top musicians (especially pianists) and some brilliant artists. There are musicals every year and the quality is excellent.

This. For most of us competition isn't so big until Year 12, and even then everyone wants to do well to hep the entire grade. Also dp I got 286 so =P.

P.S. I know my result because my mum didn't believe I had made JR and rang up for it.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
I got 286.

This. For most of us competition isn't so big until Year 12, and even then everyone wants to do well to hep the entire grade. Also dp I got 286 so =P.

P.S. I know my result because my mum didn't believe I had made JR and rang up for it.
That's one of the top marks. What year was this? I know that 280 was about the top mark in history of SS test until 2007. I think they changed the scaling about 2008 or 2009. In 2009 test (for 2010), the OC top mark changed from about nearly 280 to 300. I assume they probably also use same scaling method for SS test and that probably lift the top SS test profile mark as well. That's why in 2009, all SS lift their cut off accordingly.

I will pay JR a visit before making up my mind to put JR as first choice. I was impressed with the science lab at JR last time I was there but did not get a chance to talk to any of the staff. I emailed them and they said it was Ok to come in to visit because they did not offer an openday event.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
BTW, any one could advise me the best way to get to JR from Bankstown or East Hills area? I try to use CityRail planner and the number of station and bus changes really scare me. Car route takes about 47 minutes at the minimum. It's a bit far and hard to get there from Bankstown.

dp624

HSC
whoa 286 lol
like last years' top mark was 265... hahahaha
you sure that wasn't the raw % added together? cos that may easily be higher than the 'scaled' mark lol

from bankstown:
train to lidcombe -> clyde -> carlingford -> walk
or train to parra -> bus

i have no idea re:east hills. i lived pretty far from ruse too so yeah

Last edited:

warezfan

HSC
Simply setting tough entrance exam will not work. Try it yourself, why not? Cause this great Mr Ye makes about 1mil a year doing this business. You will be a rich man by doing this too. In fact all tutoring colleges used this method because they give 25% to 100% discounts to students who are already "selected" into Opportunity Class with profile scores of 230+. And according to the theory of all tutoring colleges are useless since they don't teach, then all these kids should also get 230+ for their SS profile score.

But in the end they still fail miserably compared to Mr Ye. Mr Ye teaches well end of the story. He knows more than any other tutor.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
Simply setting tough entrance exam will not work. Try it yourself, why not? Cause this great Mr Ye makes about 1mil a year doing this business. You will be a rich man by doing this too. In fact all tutoring colleges used this method because they give 25% to 100% discounts to students who are already "selected" into Opportunity Class with profile scores of 230+. And according to the theory of all tutoring colleges are useless since they don't teach, then all these kids should also get 230+ for their SS profile score.

But in the end they still fail miserably compared to Mr Ye. Mr Ye teaches well end of the story. He knows more than any other tutor.
Mr Ye would not make 1mil/year as his operation is very small and his fee looks quite low. It looks like he cannot find enough kids fitting his requirement so he keeps it small and play safe. Try it and you get no customers. It is very hard to build up customer base unless you start off from a garage or take a loss for a couple of years. The barrier for entry is now very high for new startups. I know many parents of OC kids who get over 230 still pay PreUni thousands each year for coaching and 50 trial tests, but their kids still trail some kids who don't go to coaching. Coaching colleges don't really teach much but they do help kids with problem solving and set extra homework. I bet the same result would be achieved for kids who pass selection test by removing the instruction component. Just let them play, set the home work and spend a little time to correct their homework.

dp624

HSC
I think the practice is quite invaluable though to be honest. Personally I recall going to James An and Pre-uni and maybe one or two more here and there [on at least 75% scholarships though otherwise the fees'd be massive]. I think they were pretty good in getting students to get to know the sort of questions and style and how timing was meant to be.

warezfan

HSC
Mr Ye would not make 1mil/year as his operation is very small and his fee looks quite low. It looks like he cannot find enough kids fitting his requirement so he keeps it small and play safe. Try it and you get no customers. It is very hard to build up customer base unless you start off from a garage or take a loss for a couple of years. The barrier for entry is now very high for new startups. I know many parents of OC kids who get over 230 still pay PreUni thousands each year for coaching and 50 trial tests, but their kids still trail some kids who don't go to coaching. Coaching colleges don't really teach much but they do help kids with problem solving and set extra homework. I bet the same result would be achieved for kids who pass selection test by removing the instruction component. Just let them play, set the home work and spend a little time to correct their homework.
Actually he is huge. He packs in over 40 students per class and has classes everyday. He accepts cash and nothing else. Every year he is getting fined by the tax office for tax cheat. Last year 200k and this year 500k. He is one of tax offices biggest customers.

His notes are some of the best in the country. Parents swear by his brilliantly written notes. His students has an average IQ of 150.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
OMG this is the coaching college I went to during Year 6!!!! I can't believe it's still operating after all these years lol. Back in my day, about 80% of the kids ended up at Ruse and about 10% ended up at other top 10 selective schools whilst the remaining 10% end up like me in a crappy/lower ranked selective school :p

The environment in my day was extremely competitive and the calibre of the questions were much harder than those in the actual selective schools entrance test. Oh and he gave sugary rewards to the top 5 (I think) in the class after a test. I sort of have him to thank for making Year 7 maths at high school seem very easy. I wonder how old he is now....lol

Last edited:

Deathless

HSC
Hey we're forgetting though, that most of the students in the coaching college are probably going to end up going to a selective school (such as James Ruse) and do the HSC. So we're forgetting that the people who don't go tutoring, who have high IQ's and are doing the IB. The key word is, "don't go tutoring". Those are the geniuses - not the Ruse students, but the people who don't need tutoring... the people such as the under-aged kids (year 9's etc) doing HSC Ext-2 Maths and still whooping ass (-_-). Oh yeah, most people like these, also tend to be good at music (piano), be asian and do a billion school activities.

So "geniuses" aren't the people with super good memory who go tutoring, as someone above said. But the people who don't go tutoring, do a billion activities and still out-perform the people who do tutoring and do barely any activities (as in those school + social work).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)