MSN messenger F.A.Q (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
MSN MESSENGER F.A.Q

This F.A.Q is designed to provide assistance and information regarding Microsoft’s Msn messenger. It is by no means comprehensive and draws from the variety of msn related questions asked on BOS.
User submissions and contributions as well as corrections are welcomed and may be forwarded by PM to a mod / myself. If your query is not addressed in the Faq please post you question in this thread and assistance should be provided.

GENERAL MSN QUESTIONS
Where can I download Msn Messenger?
What is the latest version of MSN Messenger?
Is there a web-based msn?
What is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN messenger?
How does one disable / uninstall Windows messenger?
Help! I can't sign in!
I think I have a virus. My msn keeps sending my contacts messages with random links
How can I sign into msn with a non hotmail account?
Is it possible to open more than one msn at one?
How do you clear emails from the sign-in list?
Can I check to see if a contact has blocked me?
How do I use the “Handwrite” feature?
How can I make the song I am listening appear in my Personal Message?
Do the gold stars next to some contacts names signify anything?
I prefer MSN 6.2 but it tells me I must update. Can i avoid this?
Where are my DPs and Custom emoticons stored?
Do I have to buy Dynamic Display Pics or meegos?
Why dosent The Now Playing feature show videos and movies currently playing?
Winks: How do I upload winks into MSN?
Is it possible to reorder groups?

ADD-ONS/PATCHES
What Patches/ add-ons are available for MSN?
What are the weird “.$26 .$23” like characters in some contacts names?
How do I remove the Tabs on the side of the main msn window?
What are these ‘bots’ people sometimes add into conversations.

CUSTOMISATION
How can I change the appearance of MSN?
How do I remove the Advertising banner?
How do I disable Nudges and winks?
Where do I go for more help?

GENERAL MSN QUESTIONS

Where can I download Msn Messenger?
Download: http://messenger.msn.com/

What is the Latest version of MSN Messenger?
The current version is 7.5.0311. The latest version fixes some issues found in the original, and it is recommended all users update

Is there a web-based msn?
Yes to sign into msn from a computer with no MSN installed. Use Web Messenger.

Official Web messenger: http://webmessenger.msn.com/

www.e-messenger.net, (This supports Hotmail, Yahoo and AOL)

What is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN messenger?
Windows Messenger ships with Windows XP and it designed for business users. It has a cleaner, professional design and does not have winks, nudges etc.
MSN messenger is targeted at the home user and features a number of features such as dps, winks, emoticons etc which would not be suited to a work environment.

How do i disable / uninstall Windows messenger?
1. Click Start > Run

2. Copy and Paste this exactly:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%INFmsmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

3. Windows Messenger should have being disabled

If this dosent work try:

1. Search for a file on your system called sysoc.inf and open in notepad.

2. Search for the following line:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

Remove the reference to "hide". However, leave the commas there. Save.

3. Open Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and there should be an option to remove Windows messenger

Help! I can't sign in!
Firstly check the msn service status at http://messenger.ninemsn.com.au/Status.aspx. The msn servers are know to frequently experience difficulties. However, if the issue is not server side, please post the error code and other relevant information in this thread so a solution can be found.

My msn keeps sending my contacts links with comments such as "ROFL, look at this" Help!
This is a virus that has being spreading rapidly in recent times. Computers become infected when the link is clicked.

Downlaod a removal tool from Symantec

See http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=68079 for more information

How can I sign into msn with a non hotmail account?
Simply register the email with Microsoft at www.passport.com. This places it in the Microsoft database and you will be able to sign into messenger with the email

Is it possible to open more than one msn at one?
Yes, for this a polygamy patch is required. This is an option on most of the msn patches around (see list of patches below)

How do you clear emails from the sign-in list?
A. Tools -> Options -> General -> Click the Change button and select the contacts

Can I check to see if a contact has blocked me?
A. No. Version 7 has made such a feature unreliable and such block checkers almost always give false reports.

How do I use the “Handwrite” feature?
At the bottom of the conversation window click on the handwrite tab. If it is not displayed Install
Windows Journal Viewer

How can I make the song I am listening appear in my Personal Message?
Click on the arrow next to the Personal Message box and click “Turn on ‘What I’m listening too” It should work with both ITunes and Windows Media Player. However, the latest versions of both players are required.

If this does not work open windows media player,click tools then plugins and check box next to msn music plugin

If you use WinAmp with MSN7 then consider Toaster. http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138586

Do the gold stars next to some contacts names signify anything?
These are refered to as ‘gleams’. They appear whenever a contact updates his/her MSN space (blog)

I prefer MSN 6.2 but it tells me I must update. Can i avoid this?
No. However, Msn 6.2 is still functional. The forced update is to a new version of 6.2 which addresses some important security concerns. There is currently no forced update to MSN 7

Where are my DPs and Custom emoticons stored?
C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\<your account's number>

Do I have to buy Dynamic Display Pics or meegos?
Quite simply, Yes. It is part of Microsoft's new methods from making money out of this free service. There are illegal downloads avaliable however considering their illegal nature they shall not be discussed further.

Why dosent The Now Playing feature show videos and movies currently playing?
This is just simply how the feature was designed. However there is a plugin avaliable that allows this coded by IGx89

Description: "As you're probably aware, MSN Messenger 7 includes a "What I'm Listening To" feature which sets your personal message to the name of the song you're currently listening to (using a plugin for WMP called "MSN Messenger Audio Plugin"). Now, I've made a "MSN Messenger Video Plugin" for WMP that also sets your personal message to the name of the video you're currently watching"

Download: http://forum.mess.be/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1847

Winks: How do I upload winks into MSN?
If you are obtaining them legally from the official website linked to from inside msn it should import them automatically. If you have .mco or .cab files (perhaps from another account etc) you can download this program that imports .mco files into messenger. http://members.lycos.nl/monkeyforum.../mcoinstall.zip (handy for backing up winks)

Is it possible to reorder groups?
There is no specific support for doing this. However, groups are sorted by alphabetical order, so changing the order would require you to change the first letter of the group. (ie. adding a. b. c. etc to group names)

ADD-ONS/PATCHES

What Patches/ add-ons are available for MSN?
There are numerous add-ons and patches available to customize and add functionality to your msn.
The most widely used add-on is Msg Plus which ads a variety of functions to your messenger.

Add-ons

MSG PLUS www.msgplus.net
Messenger Discovery www.msgdiscovery.com
Stuff Plug NG www.stuffplug.com/ (Requires Plus!)

Stand-alone patches

MSN Ghost http://volv.net
Mess Patch www.mess.be
A-Patch http://apatch.tk/

NOTE: These patches edit msn’s code and therefore usually require a clean unedited version of MSN.

What are the weird “.$26 .$23” like characters in some contacts names?
These are most likely msg plus! formatting tags. Install plus! (see above) to view their names in colour and full formatting.

How do I remove the Tabs on the side of the main msn window?
Tools -> Options -> Security -> Check “This is a shared computer so don’t display tabs”

What are these ‘bots’ people sometimes add into conversations.
There are numerous msn robots that perform a variety of functions. Some are chatterbots that attempt to mimic a human conversation while others perform more complex tasks such as lyrics searches, acting as AI players in MSN games and providing chat and multiplayer word based game rooms.
See http://www.mess.be/ for a list of bots
The most popular and regulary frequented bot is Bot2k3 which can be found at www.bot2k3.net

CUSTOMISATION

How can I change the appearance of MSN?
Apply a skin. Note that Skins require an unmodified version of MSN to work.

Check out: http://www.afizicalpresence.com/ for a small list of skins for download

How do I remove the Advertising banner?
Download a patch which has this particular feature (see above)

How do I disable Nudges and winks?
Tools -> Options -> Messages -> Check/Uncheck the desired options

Where do I go for more help?

You could of course post a thread in the IT forum of BOS.

If you require help with a specific add-on, most of have their own forum where help can be sought.
For general msn assistance go to forum.mess.be where the majority of the msn development community are regular visitors.
For help with Msg plus! Visit www.msghelp.net

Last edited:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Another cool web-based messenger is www.e-messenger.net, which supports Hotmail, Yahoo and AOL(i think).
It also allows you to upload your own display picture for the session, and to "Nudge" your chatee. Ability to change nickname, themes and add/remove/edit contacts.
Most recommended!

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
does anyone know how i can control what parts of a song is diplayed in msn? eg album, artist, time etc...
im using msn7 and itunes.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Its possible with a plug-in. The request was made withing the msn dev. community and i believe a few patches are being made atm....Will keep you updated.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The now playing thing is just a gimmick to get people to use WMP again.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Agreed.
I found that winAmp is better for playing music since it supports a lot more file types than WMP. Although it's true that most of the supported files are ancient and very rare, it's much more easier to find your music. Additionally, downloading "BK's Winamp Extension" plug-in for MSNPlus! can do the same job.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Msn supports iTunes as well which is great considering itunes is probally the best player ive used. The music is very nicely laid out and accesible.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Deus said:
Q. Do I have to buy Dynamic Display Pics or meegos?

A. Quite simply, Yes.
Eh? What a waste of money.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
The now playing thing is just a gimmick to get people to use WMP again.
Using iTunes, foobar2k, and i assume winamp is supported as well with a few plugins. (using AMIP to get iTunes and fb2k to work)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*Isnt a mod in this section so has no powers :)*

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
jumb said:
Eh? What a waste of money.
lol, that was my precise thought as well. And why would anybody buy emoticons? You can steal other people's by right clicking them and clicking add...not to mention you can make them yourself. :p

ooo and toaster looks nice. know if there are any prgrams similar to toaster for itunes which display teh song on the desktop and pop-ups?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Try konfabulator, there are a few scattered for itunes

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahhh nice program :) Thanks

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Saw this on Mess.be.

For those who want a few more legal winks :)

GRATIS Blinkning! That's Swedish for: FREE MSN WINKS!
dwergs says:

i sense a disturbance in the forceLike several times before, we have obtained another working code for downloading free MSN Winks. You can normally use the pin only once, but we wouldn't be Mess.be if we didn't tell you how to use it multiple times:

1) Go here and click one of the MSN Winks.

2) Under the Köp button, click "Har du redan en PIN-kod?".

3) In the first field, enter any e-mail address. In the second one, enter gratiswink.

4) Make sure you're logged into MSN Messenger 7 and click Skicka. The MSN Wink will be imported into your account automatically and for free!

5) To use this code again, you have to get rid of the site's Cookie. In Internet Explorer go to Tools > Internet Options and click the Delete Cookies. Now repeat these instructions beginning with step 1.

NOTE: If Cookies you gathered from other sites are dear to you, you'll have to manually delete this specific one by going to your Temporary Internet Files directory (paste %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files in Start > Run) and delete Cookie:username@mypersonalexpression.com/.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
added details of the MSN video now playing plugin for HSC_sUcKsSsS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)