• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

zeek

HSC
Sashatheman said:
the point is, we are allowed to "fuck" with religion if we dont agree with it. thats what denmark is trying to say, that we are allowed to show that we dont agree with islam if we want to.
Agreed, however, in doing so, the Danish newspaper and government would have sureley known that a retaliation was expected?
Wouldn't you agree that before publishing the cartoons, the newspaper would have thought that MAYBE just MAYBE they could be offending every single islamic state in the world?

davin

HSC
N/A
Nah, wouldn't work coz Denmark nor the Free World is a religion.
You are acting as if all of a sudden all muslims around the world want an end to free speech lol, that is not the case.
right, cuz the SIGNS calling for an END to fre speech don't mean they want to end free speech

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Wouldn't you agree that before publishing the cartoons, the newspaper would have thought that MAYBE just MAYBE they could be offending every single islamic state in the world?
They knew it might offend them - but so what? Newspapers offend different people all the time. I doubt they knew what the response would be, because quite frankly I doubt anyone could have predicted this response... it is insane and I think it's just a creation by some angry muslim leaders in these countries giving out false information about the cartoons.

zeek

HSC
davin said:
right, cuz the SIGNS calling for an END to fre speech don't mean they want to end free speech
Lol, davin, did you read what i wrote?
From what i saw on the news, there was only one guy holding that sign, with possibly another group.
Did this group represent all of islam? No, so why apply your statement to the whole of the religion?

davin

HSC
N/A
Agreed, however, in doing so, the Danish newspaper and government would have sureley known that a retaliation was expected?
what do you mean the Danish gov't? they have nothing to do with it

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Lol, davin, did you read what i wrote?
From what i saw on the news, there was only one guy holding that sign, with possibly another group.
Did this group represent all of islam? No, so why apply your statement to the whole of the religion?
It is the only group out there representing Islam. Are there others with differing views? Maybe - but where the hell are they? If I can't see any signs of them what so ever, what use are they?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
r3v3ng3 said:
You are acting as if all of a sudden all muslims around the world want an end to free speech lol, that is not the case.

meh too bad for you
all muslims dont want people to express how they feel like about islam. which is part of free speech, so u can say muslims are already limiting free speech

zeek

HSC
davin said:
what do you mean the Danish gov't? they have nothing to do with it
Whoops, i was under the impression that they reviewed it before publication...

Not-That-Bright said:
They knew it might offend them - but so what? Newspapers offend different people all the time. I doubt they knew what the response would be, because quite frankly I doubt anyone could have predicted this response... it is insane and I think it's just a creation by some angry muslim leaders in these countries giving out false information about the cartoons.
I Disagree. I don't even know how islam works and yet i know that their religion demands discipline and loyalty from what i have seen on tv. Even if they don't know anything about the religion, then they would have known that by printing something insulting would result in a backlash/retaliation, wouldn't you agree?
Isn't that what newspapers all around the world know? (that printing something insulting would create retaliation?)

davin

HSC
N/A
Whoops, i was under the impression that they reviewed it before publication...
why on earth would the gov't review it? how are you participating in a discussion on freedom of the press when you don't even know WHAT IT IS?

Isn't that what newspapers all around the world know? (that printing something insulting would create retaliation?)
and yet, for all the insulting cartoons i'd seen papers run, this has never been the responce. and these weren't even "insulting" for the most part, if looked purely at content

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
r3v3ng3 said:
when ever a cartoon is published regarding someone/ or something that someone is involved with, it will offend him, or a group of people. yes thats expected, but it doesnt mean you cant do it. Its a way to express what you feel is wrong with someone elses beleifs or actions. and those people never make such a violent protest against the cartoons, unlike the muslism did.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Even if they don't know anything about the religion, then they would have known that by printing something insulting would result in a backlash/retaliation, wouldn't you agree?
I think they knew there would be some backlash - not this ammount tho. Especially considering that it has really been done before (in south park etc) however this time is unique because some random clerics got hold of it and used it for their own purposes.

zeek

HSC
Sashatheman said:
all muslims dont want people to express how they feel like about islam. which is part of free speech, so u can say muslims are already limiting free speech
I highly doubt that this is the case. Do you have any evidence that you can show me?

Not-That-Bright said:
It is the only group out there representing Islam. Are there others with differing views? Maybe - but where the hell are they? If I can't see any signs of them what so ever, what use are they?
That is quite an interesting statement. I agree, the only group out there representing islam are the ones wreacking havoc. From what i know, some muslims successfully petitioned or demonstrated (through a letter) against the newspaper to take off the printed material. HOWEVER, at the same time, some of the radicals put a death sentence or something on one of the workers there.
Now, since all of the muslims do not agree with the method the radicals are taking, they are not there with them. You, however, want those who are for free speech to protest against the radicals who are also muslim.

LOLOLOL its a confusing situation that would obviously pitch different muslim groups against each other. I think thats why they havent been protesting.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
LOLOLOL its a confusing situation that would obviously pitch different muslim groups against each other. I think thats why they havent been protesting.
What? So they're willing to stand by and just watch these people destroy their religion? I don't believe that's true, all muslims I have met have much more respect for their religion than that.

zeek

HSC
Sashatheman said:
when ever a cartoon is published regarding someone/ or something that someone is involved with, it will offend him, or a group of people. yes thats expected, but it doesnt mean you cant do it. Its a way to express what you feel is wrong with someone elses beleifs or actions. and those people never make such a violent protest against the cartoons, unlike the muslism did.
So then let the muslims retaliate by burning the Danish embassies (not that i agree with it) or by boycotting Danish products. Why? because the newspaper expected some sort of retaliation and because of the large number of muslims, they would have also accepted the fact that a couple of retarded suicide bombers/anarchists would be running loose.

From what i have read and seen, it seems that the Danish newspaper is pleading ignorance in the sense that it did not know that stirring approx 1 billion muslims could lead to an event like this.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
r3v3ng3 said:
I highly doubt that this is the case. Do you have any evidence that you can show me?
ask any muslim on this site, or any muslim you know which would say "yes i dont agree with what the message of the cartoons, but its are allowed to be published. So ill just egnore them." i dont think yuoll find one muslim saying that.

zeek

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
What? So they're willing to stand by and just watch these people destroy their religion? I don't believe that's true, all muslims I have met have much more respect for their religion than that.
I can't really speak for muslims because im not one, therefore i can't comment on what they think about the radicals. However, IF this were to happen with Jews, where a couple of radicals were doing the same thing against Passion of the Christ AND there were a couple of Jews that disagreed with the Radicals (who wanted the movie to be banned), then do you think they would protest?

I would think not because then it would turn into an ugly conflict of Jew against Jew which is not what any religion wants.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
A clip from the news showing the protests in London. many people holding signs "wishing death upon people"
Code:
http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2M8O7WXKFTBKY33Y23ITGP9G7Z

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I can't really speak for muslims because im not one, therefore i can't comment on what they think about the radicals. However, IF this were to happen with Jews, where a couple of radicals were doing the same thing against Passion of the Christ AND there were a couple of Jews that disagreed with the Radicals (who wanted the movie to be banned), then do you think they would protest?
a couple? If thousands of jews were protesting in such a manner - then yes, I believe there would be jewish counter-protests. Either way, there should be.

I would think not because then it would turn into an ugly conflict of Jew against Jew which is not what any religion wants.
Well aren't religions incredibly stupid things? We have to put up with our fellow followers and not speak out against them out of fear of causing conflict within the religion...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)