• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

zeek

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
hahaha wtf?
Isn't it actually much worse to attack jewish people than to attack a religious figure? Anyway I don't believe the cartoons were attacking muhammed.
To be completelty honest, i have no idea. I believe that a religious figure would be more important than the followers.

Not-That-Bright said:
Are you fucking insane? I'm sorry for the language but I choked on my drink when I read that... Hows bout I just start up my own little religion where we kill ourselves - LOLZ DONT CRITICISE ME : D!
lolol emoism?

zeek

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't see why you feel the need to nit pick like that if you're so 'neutral'.
I guess im getting a bit carried away lol... its fun debating with you guys :p

davin

HSC
N/A
and i believe that real, current people are more important than people that are either dead or never existed

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't see how the cartoons criticised muhammed anyway? I think it's far more of a stretch to claim they were criticising muhammed than using satirising muhammed as a symbol for current radical islam (as that's what the article was about, how scared we've become of these radicals).

davin

HSC
N/A
Yes but thats where the problem begins. What happens if you travelled to Greece, where these cartoons were published, and you were faced with racism and discrimination because now ALL Anglo-Australians have been represented as VB yobbo racists?
whats more likely to cause people to associate islam with terrorism? a cartoon, or burning embassies?

davin

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't see how the cartoons criticised muhammed anyway? I think it's far more of a stretch to claim they were criticising muhammed than using satirising muhammed as a symbol for current radical islam (as that's what the article was about, how scared we've become of these radicals).
please, context is totally irrelevant

clearly someone's opinions having only seen a coupel of the cartoons is far more acccurate than trying to somehow impose the additional info of the content of the other cartoons and the article they ran with to make it seem like the cartoons had a point.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
davin said:
please, context is totally irrelevant

clearly someone's opinions having only seen a coupel of the cartoons is far more acccurate than trying to somehow impose the additional info of the content of the other cartoons and the article they ran with to make it seem like the cartoons had a point.
i dont think most muslims who are rioting even seen the cartoons. They just wanna cause destuction.

zeek

HSC
davin said:
whats more likely to cause people to associate islam with terrorism? a cartoon, or burning embassies?
But then you have to ask yourself:
"Why were the embassies burnt?"
:)

aaaman

Banned
HSC
SashatheMan said:
i dont think most muslims who are rioting even seen the cartoons. They just wanna cause destuction.

y dont we cause some destruction, the leb mosque seems like the best target

davin

HSC
N/A
r3v3ng3 said:
But then you have to ask yourself:
"Why were the embassies burnt?"
:)
ok, how bout this...what about bombing embassies, blowing up planes, hijacking planes and crashing them into buildings, kidnapping people and executing them, blowing up trains, and suicide and car bombs?

zeek

HSC
lol davin i could go on forever as to why those events occured and so could you. I think we both agree that there is always a source for the problems.

davin

HSC
N/A
however, the point is, the tension existed before the cartoons, and so the idea that getting rid of freedom of speech would fix this wouldn't help at all

zeek

HSC
davin, i totally agree, but i think that the cartoons brought it out.

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
man u know wat shits me da most????? these days no one can practise their religious faith peacefully. i mean.....ppl should be able to choose the religion dat suits them best n be abe to practise that.....i wish there comes a day when jewz, christians muslims etc can follow their religion without other ppl interfering with it.......i mean..........wats it to them.......its ur life n u should be able to practise ur religion without having to listen to rascist comments from low lifes who have a problem with everything! like seriously

davin

HSC
N/A
unique, you're aware that with the exception of judiasim, no religion comes close to being a race, right?

davin, i totally agree, but i think that the cartoons brought it out.
but to get rid of anything that might cause problems leads to a pattern of appeasement that is a very slippery slope. what if they become offended by the presence of other religions in the western world? or of the better treatement of women?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
man u know wat shits me da most????? these days no one can practise their religious faith peacefully. i mean.....ppl should be able to choose the religion dat suits them best n be abe to practise that.....i wish there comes a day when jewz, christians muslims etc can follow their religion without other ppl interfering with it.......i mean..........wats it to them.......its ur life n u should be able to practise ur religion without having to listen to rascist comments from low lifes who have a problem with everything! like seriously
the problem is , each one of those religions, teaches their own rules and sais anything else is wrong, whcih in it self causes tension.

unless each religion never got in contact with the other, which is impossible to achieve, you will always have people disagreeing with each others views.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
what muslims have against the cartoons is that its forbidden to draw muhammad because islamic law sais so. But what they are doing when they say non-muslim countries cant draw them, is forcing their religious laws and beliefs onto non-muslims.

why should they be allowed to tell non-muslims what they cant do when islam forbids?
as someone said, what if they decide that other islamic laws have to be followed by non-muslims? for example saudi arabia already doesnt allow any other religion to exist apart from islam. and they have strong punishments for anyone who breaks that law. eg a guy got beheaded for carrying a bible .

also reference to a thread on BOS about muslim rapist spree, thats another example of muslims forcing ther beleifs on western women , who have to be covered because islam sais so, or they deserved to be punished by rape or what ever.

thats what they are infact doing, forcing their beliefs onto non-muslims, and if they dont agree, they resort to violence

zeek

HSC
davin said:
what if they become offended by the presence of other religions in the western world? or of the better treatement of women?
IF that were to happen, then it should have happened along time ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)