• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
r3v3ng3 said:
Well if islam had problems with other religions, i would have thought that it would have been sorted long ago
No, because the most common resolution was convert or die, for instance when the Arabs conquered North Africa. A very interesting pecularity about this is the Kabylie people to this day are quite non-religious in pious Algeria but have to keep quiet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabylie

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Ok... that's a nice shift you've made there. Before you're claiming it's all because of the association with terrorism, now it's just that an imagine was made. If it's just that an image was published than I dun see what's special about this case - it also makes the muslim outrage even more ridiculous.
hey, i cant read into every muslims mind, but i for one felt more than annoyed at the fact that they had attempted to draw muhammad. and i didnt say that it was ONLY because of this point, and i too believe that the "muslims" were looking for something like this to justify their actions (and give them a chance to do this action in the first place)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
US President George W. Bush said he had signed into law a bill requiring the State Department to monitor global anti-Semitism and rate countries annually on their treatment of Jews.
this goes nicely with iran publishing the holocast cartoons and bush about to attack it.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
ihavenothing said:
No, because the most common resolution was convert or die, for instance when the Arabs conquered North Africa. A very interesting pecularity about this is the Kabylie people to this day are quite non-religious in pious Algeria but have to keep quiet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabylie
then why did muslims bother with something called a jizyah where the conquered non muslims payed a tax which dismissed them from fighting in the army, under the condition that they didnt attempt treason, where the punishment was... severe.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
veterandoggy said:
then why did muslims bother with something called a jizyah where the conquered non muslims payed a tax which dismissed them from fighting in the army, under the condition that they didnt attempt treason, where the punishment was... severe.
Because it was the candy bar that attempted to lure tribes into the religion, their contempt after was muted because they knew they would suffer the severe consequences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lounes_Matoub

This guy was one of the first to take a stand against it and suffered the consequences.:burn:

dawma88 said:
1)

2) palestine owns the land...like even i knew that...the brits and french came, cut palestinian territory and gave it to the jews
yeh i saw a documentary on palestinian refugees, they were saying how they used to live in palestine and went to a doctor who was jewish, and had a few jewish friends in palestine. It seemed they had and were able to live in peace. All they want is to go back to there old towns and live in their homeland.
Israel doesnt allow christians and muslims to live there, it seems the problem could be solved so easily, Israel just wants to have a jewish state.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
ihavenothing said:
Because it was the candy bar that attempted to lure tribes into the religion, their contempt after was muted because they knew they would suffer the severe consequences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lounes_Matoub

This guy was one of the first to take a stand against it and suffered the consequences.:burn:
the candy bar? well, either way, the guy was commiting treason against his conquering state, please correct me if im wrong. im pretty sure he could have left the country without objection.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
codereder said:
Israel doesnt allow christians and muslims to live there, it seems the problem could be solved so easily, Israel just wants to have a jewish state.
Yes it does, 15% or so of the Israeli population are Muslim (meaning they have full citizenship) and there are significant Druze and Christian populations in Haifa.
While I am not a big fan of Israeli policy in particular, its right to exist should remain.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
ihavenothing said:
Yes it does, 15% or so of the Israeli population are Muslim (meaning they have full citizenship) and there are significant Druze and Christian populations in Haifa.
While I am not a big fan of Israeli policy in particular, its right to exist should remain.
its right to exist, not its right to ban muslims from living there peacefully.

i can almost foresee the next response, and no, im not sure if letting palestinians live freely in israel will make a difference anymore.

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
While I am not a big fan of Israeli policy in particular said:
no it Shouldn’t, how can it when it clearly is palestinian territory

how would u like to be kicked out of ur own home and be given to ur enemy ??

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Since when do people have territory based on their cultural connection to the land or whatever? Nations only have the right to exist if they can defend themselves - isreal has done this, it is legitimate.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
dawma88 said:

Who had the land before the Muslims invaded it?

Oh, it was the Jews. Funny that.

15 % of israel is muslim? Didnt the jews kick them all out?
Y couldnt all the jews move in with the muslims

M.I.A-187

HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

last_chance said:
its more like being disrespectful to a religious faith.
Well i have to say, if somebody in our place let say make a cartoon etc or maybe a little joke bout religion such as christian etc, you don't see a thousand or more christains around the world going around throwing rocks at embassy or grabbing up a strap and said that they gonna start a crusade on all the herectics etc. I think the muslim should voice their concern through speech not violence. PPLZ said that it happans course they are disrespecting their culture, dignity blah. Well frankly i believe many pplz in this world already come through that but does that give them the special permission to go round burning flags, throwing rocks at windows etc? No.

banco55

HSC
We should unleash the Israeli army on Syria. The arabs are just as incompetent with regards to soldiering as they are with regards to scientific research and industry. Israel would go through them like a hot knife through butter.

davin

HSC
N/A
i dont think the point of satirising muhammad was as bad as actually drawing an image of him. i think the fact that they made a drawing of him sparked more emotion
then why no protests for all the other images of mohommad? its just these

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC

M.I.A-187 said:
Well i have to say, if somebody in our place let say make a cartoon etc or maybe a little joke bout religion such as christian etc, you don't see a thousand or more christains around the world going around throwing rocks at embassy or grabbing up a strap and said that they gonna start a crusade on all the herectics etc. I think the muslim should voice their concern through speech not violence. PPLZ said that it happans course they are disrespecting their culture, dignity blah. Well frankly i believe many pplz in this world already come through that but does that give them the special permission to go round burning flags, throwing rocks at windows etc? No.
well, i have to say that christians these days are so low in faith that they let the "SON OF GOD" be turned into a joke. if you thought the son of god was being satirised wouldnt YOU feel a little uneasy? i do agree with the vioce not violence theme though
davin said:
then why no protests for all the other images of mohommad? its just these
because these particular ones hit two birds with one stone. that and also muslims arent as close to their religion nowadays.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

well, i have to say that christians these days are so low in faith that they let the "SON OF GOD" be turned into a joke. if you thought the son of god was being satirised wouldnt YOU feel a little uneasy? i do agree with the vioce not violence theme though
Well that's a good thing... they're paying much more attention to the teachings of jesus about love and forgiveness rather than taking out silly grudges :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)