• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
Edited for truth.

Edited for truth.

This part can't be edited for truth because it doesn't make sense.

Edited for truth.

Edited for supreme truth because you oppose free speech in a country where you're lucky to be able to practise your religion compared to some kinda Jew in Saudia Arabia or something.

Edited for truth and gratitude to the West.
I love you.

Simpson Freak

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It saddens me to hear that and I know it's truth - yet these voices aren't loud (at least here in the west). There are no masses of people we can see listening to a muslim leader preach peace on our tv - that doesn't mean they're not there, but I simply can't find much evidence of it.
Maybe its just because the media doesnt show much of muslim leaders advocating peace. You have to look at the more objective and BORING stations to see anything of the sort, the only place i hear of peace coming from muslims is on SBS or ABC, or some obscure news report with george negis or wateva at weird times.

All the talk back radio people make it seem like every leader is asking every muslim to commit such violence

Heck i have seen you quote a lot and never have you quoted a message of peace from a leader, but rather the rambunxious rantings of a loud mouth malcontent who just wants to use religion to justify his war mongering.

I guess its just what the media wants to portray, do they want to show peace, or do they want to show only death, destruction and demolition over what the media makes it look like JUST A CARTOON. (by that i mean the crazies are using the cartoons to express their deep rooted hatred)

There are a lot of right minded muslims out there, but dont expect to find them closed of in urban ghettos or in crazy dictatorships, its usually just these guys that get air time anyway.

HSC
Maybe its just because the media doesnt show much of muslim leaders advocating peace. You have to look at the more objective and BORING stations to see anything of the sort, the only place i hear of peace coming from muslims is on SBS or ABC, or some obscure news report with george negis or wateva at weird times.

All the talk back radio people make it seem like every leader is asking every muslim to commit such violence

Heck i have seen you quote a lot and never have you quoted a message of peace from a leader, but rather the rambunxious rantings of a loud mouth malcontent who just wants to use religion to justify his war mongering.
i agree with ^^

If it's justified however (not just... the pigs deserved it, without going into further detail) nothing will happen to the newspaper and I would still support it.
so would i. but though the reaction wasn't justified...i didn't find the publishing of the 12 cartoons entirely justified either.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
captain gh3y said:
Edited for supreme truth because you oppose free speech in a country where you're lucky to be able to practise your religion compared to some kinda Jew in Saudia Arabia or something.
why does everyone go about saying that only islam can be practised in saudi arabia? who sponsors that emirates horse cup (is that the one)? if they dont sponsor it, they havent said anything against it, knowing that in islam gambling in any form is strictly forbidden. and that goes for those camel races they have too. and i knew a guy that got a job in saudi and was being paid an average salary despite his hard work, then he got sacked and was replaced by someone who wasnt an arab, and the guy didnt even work as hard. another guy i know also used to work there, under the saudi impression that he was australian. during a chat with someone it somehow came out of his mouth that he was in fact lebanese and his pay dropped dramatically. to put it more plainly (and more to hotshot's liking ^_^) the saudis are doing whyat the jews are to the US too.

and dont forget that living in Riyadh, and Jeddah is just like living here in almost every aspect (maybe with fewer asians though).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What an outright lie!

http://community.boredofstudies.org/2208690-post844.html

Also, I check out various media sources and I'm still not convinced mate.

P

Pauline Hanson

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060209/19/xv4d.html

Taliban offer reward for killing of cartoonist

ISLAMABAD (AFP) - A top Taliban commander offered a reward of 100 kilograms of gold to anyone who kills the person responsible for "blasphemous" cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, the Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) reported.

If someone killed the cartoonist responsible for the cartoons in Denmark, the "Taliban will give 100 kilograms (244 pounds) of gold," Mullah Dadullah said in a telephone call to AIP from an unknown location, the Pakistan-based private news agency reported on Wednesday.

Dadullah also said the Taliban would give five kilograms of gold to anyone who killed a Danish, Norwegian or German soldier, AIP said.

AIP said Dadullah was operating as chief commander of the Taliban waging an anti-government insurgency in Afghanistan.

The agency quoted Dadullah as saying the Taliban's list of would-be suicide bombers had grown since the publication of the cartoons.

Eleven demonstrators have been killed since Friday in violent protests over the cartoons in Afghanistan.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I have seen a good afghani film called 'osama' that showed that alot of arabs, or at least the afghani's hated the taliban.

Last edited:

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5 million I think.

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Criticism of a religion is justified, a religion is a set of ideas... an ideology, a belief. A race is merely this category of humans which has no common ideas, beliefs etc for you to attack.
Id like to point out that many European countries have anti-blasphamy laws (including Denmark)

so quite frankly these newspapers broke their own laws

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Jordan.J said:
Id like to point out that many European countries have anti-blasphamy laws (including Denmark)

so quite frankly these newspapers broke their own laws
These laws haven't been used for a long time and as far as they might be used, I believe trials have already been done and it was thrown out...

so quite frankly you really don't know too much about the situation.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Anyhow the fact is, the cartoons shouldnt have published in such a manner. A description is by far more relevant.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
HotShot said:
Anyhow the fact is, the cartoons shouldnt have published in such a manner. A description is by far more relevant.
When shouldn't have they been published?
Why shouldn't have they been published?

I need to ask these questions because you know.. I'll argue and then you'll move the goalposts around, so we need specific detail about what you are talking about it would seem.

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
These laws haven't been used for a long time and as far as they might be used, I believe trials have already been done and it was thrown out...

so quite frankly you really don't know too much about the situation.
no need to act arrogant

The cartoons are clearly blasphemous towards Islam, you cant deny that

Those newspapers broke thier own anti-blasphemy laws, you cant deny that

who cares if they havnt used them in a while, the fact is its still there

Their courts did throw the case out, saying freedom of speech is important. But with this freedom comes responsibility

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The cartoons are clearly blasphemous towards Islam, you cant deny that
Alot of things are blasphemous towards Islam - I could claim that women that don't wear veils are being blasphemous.

Those newspapers broke thier own anti-blasphemy laws, you cant deny that
Yes I can, because there were trials. The way in which the law of most nations works is that the judiciary is what decides whether or not a law has been broken - not you.

Their courts did throw the case out, saying freedom of speech is important. But with this freedom comes responsibility
see above. I think you should also realise that some laws have prominence over others and this is probably what happened.

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A
if a controversial article was publicised on the 9/11 events, many ppl and families hurt in the attacks would retaliate.
there's been plenty with no retaliation.

regarding religious freedom in Saudi Arabia:
Islam itself derives from the same monotheistic roots as Judaism and Christianity, and traditionally Muslims generally regarded other religions with respect. Jews and Christians are considered fellow People of the Book. However the public practice of Christianity, the presence of churches and open possession of Christian religious materials are outlawed in Saudi Arabia. Israelis are also banned from entering the country. Islam's holy book the Qur'an is Saudi Arabia's constitution, and Shari'ah (Islamic law) is the foundation of its legal system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia
Islam is the official religion; and the law requires that all citizens be Muslims.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_of_religious_freedom_in_Saudi_Arabia

to put it more plainly (and more to hotshot's liking ^_^) the saudis are doing whyat the jews are to the US too.
the jew comment meaning what?

HSC
its fine when the papers want to publish on tv, newspaper and other media in the arab world about how much they hate "infidels" :/

HSC
Why shouldn't have they been published?
after 60 pages of discussion on this....with so mne ppl putting forth their views, which answer ur exact question.....do u still feel the need to repeat the question? especially when the only reasons you're going to get are probly gnna be similiar to what's previously been posted?

with this freedom comes responsibility

Last edited:

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Responsibility is enforced through the market. If something is overly offensive, people will boycott the publication, and they will realise they've done something wrong, and either make amends or go bankrupt. It's not the realm of the government to enforce it.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
after 60 pages of discussion on this....with so mne ppl putting forth their views, which answer ur exact question.....do u still feel the need to repeat the question, when the only reasons you're going to get are probly gnna be the same as what's previously been posted?
I explained my need for a more exact definition of why he thinks it shouldn't, because when I have attacked other peoples examples in the past in this thread... they have then moved the goal posts. You just ignore what I write about 10 words after [what you quoted] tho to make your argument look better.

edit.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)