Music Class(s) of 2005... (1 Viewer)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
trumpet geek said:
the mandatory topic doesnt have to be australian - they want to have an australian focus, but as long as the music is from the last 25 years ago it should be ok.
I think Crowie was talking about compo

Crowie said:
wat do u al;l fink about the manditory topic is it just me or u can pretty much write nefink that has sum relation 2 aus culture or an australian composers influence
and in relation to that - try and look for australia composer references for your composition. By this I mean, go to the AMC (check out this thread for more details: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=30077) and have a look for composers who may have used your style before.

EG. i used a cello as my bass instrument doing long "drone" like tones on open strings - I said i was replicated a didgeridu drone, in the style of Sarah Hopkins (An Australian composer that favours that technique)

Or you can write something and, if asked to justify it, say its representative of a lizard wandering on a rock (I have a lizard outside my room now) or this bend in pitch is the Harbour Bridge.... anything at all can be "Australian" When you think about it, our culture is just a hybridisation of so many other cultures, it can be anything. (now theres a good name for a composition- Hybridisation .... - you heard it here first folks! :)) My comp was an amalgamation of Scottish, Aboriginal, Chinese and Spanish music... go figure. I called it Amalgamation btw. :)

Its like English. Write it first, identify all the bull-shit later. :)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
i like your style ujuphleg!!
what did u get for ur comp??

*edit* on the names thing, names are quite important to a composition, we had to do an Extended technique composition earlier this year and i called it E.T.C extended technique composition lol, got full marks :D

poonie

hey well i'm doing music in 2005

1)voice
2) music 1 (don't pay me out)
3)performance (its the only thing i can do :p )

Crowie

HSC
N/A
hey thanx all 4 ur comments
i fink its a fairly broad topic area because there is realli only few things that aus composers use like constant time sig changes but other than that its so broad

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Not all Australian composers use constant time signature changes, though it can be an effective tool to maintain interest in the work. In terms of compositional style, I suggest writing whatever you think is appropriate, but in your program notes, quote other Australian composers who have utilised similar techniques.

pristine

HSC
me. the rockstar.

i) piano (major), drums, guitar, bass.
ii) music 1
iii) 4 performances.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
1) Sing (major), piano and guitar
2)Music 2 and Ext
3)Performance- As if I could give up the chance to sing 6 pieces!

Hey did anyone see Encore this year? What was you favourite performance? Mine was Aaron Taylor from Hunter School of the Performing Arts. (My school, and I'm not at all biased!! When it comes to singers I'm normally one of the pickiest people you can find!! It takes someone exceptional for me to say they were fantastic)

Last edited:

like_a_rose

like_a_rose
HSC
1) Singing
2) Music 1, yes go us
3) 2 performance, 1 musicology

i saw encore, aaron, was he the guy in pinstripe suit, singing from jesus christ superstar. he was pretty bad. i liked the group of 5 singers, acapella, and the two pianist brothers at the end. i saw a day performance, on the 21st feb, and they had just lost their father like a few days b4, and they were amazing

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
i didn't like aaron much myself...

but yes, the Kiama vocal group was nuts and the 2 asian pianists brothers who played tarrentalla (sp) or something, were just amazing....

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
yeh go kiama! i know em all and they are fantastic....especially penny, who u may have seen in School Spec.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i thought the Kiama group were really good - and the composition for the piano with the cello and violin. that really jazzy one lol (sorry i can't clarify) - i think the guy maybe played clarinet or trumpet? that was good

btw to answer your questions Jazzman Tim:

1) Piano
2) Music One
3) 3 Performances and a Viva

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)