MX2 difficulty... (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Yes. If you're talking about aligned marks, this has happened every year since 2006. If you're talking about raw marks, no one really knows lol
Is it possible to get a raw Band E4 in it? Everyone in my school are sure that they got an aligned Band E4 for it.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Is it possible to get a raw Band E4 in it? Everyone in my school are sure that they got an aligned Band E4 for it.
At Plumpton High? Band E4's for MX2? How many?

I'm surprised that they're rankings didn't push from the 500's (don't quote me on the ranking).

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
At Plumpton High? Band E4's for MX2? How many?

I'm surprised that they're rankings didn't push from the 500's (don't quote me on the ranking).
As far as I know they're have been 3 Band E4s in Mathematics Extension 2 for the past 10 years or so. Last year's Year 12 bombed up bad. Nobody did Mathematics Extension 2 and the highest mark in Extension 1 was 43/50, compared with 2007's top mark of 96% (48/50)

There are usually about 1 to 3 kids who get Band 6/E4. About 15 to 25 kids get Band 5 and everyone else is Band 4 or less.

micuzzo

HSC
@Op: 4U is doable... it just takes up heappppps (x10^10) time... and as other have stated... its not rote maths... you need to think outside the rhombus for most of it

youngminii

Banned
HSC
As far as I know they're have been 3 Band E4s in Mathematics Extension 2 for the past 10 years or so. Last year's Year 12 bombed up bad. Nobody did Mathematics Extension 2 and the highest mark in Extension 1 was 43/50, compared with 2007's top mark of 96% (48/50)

There are usually about 1 to 3 kids who get Band 6/E4. About 15 to 25 kids get Band 5 and everyone else is Band 4 or less.
The fuck are you talking about? Band E4 isn't a mark. It's a rank. Also, you never find out your raw mark.

And again, stop saying that you know the mark that people got. You don't get your raw mark back in the HSC.

Btw @ OP. Overrated.
Even if you don't have that 'zomg creative mind' that everyone's saying you need, with appropriate study (and no, not ten hours a day or whatever) it's still very possible to get a band 6 (E4).

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
The fuck are you talking about? Band E4 isn't a mark. It's a rank. Also, you never find out your raw mark.

And again, stop saying that you know the mark that people got. You don't get your raw mark back in the HSC.

Btw @ OP. Overrated.
Even if you don't have that 'zomg creative mind' that everyone's saying you need, with appropriate study (and no, not ten hours a day or whatever) it's still very possible to get a band 6 (E4).
People can estimate what they're raw marks is. All they have to do is count up how many questions they think they got right at the end of the paper.

I heard that Bands were also ranks. Just how does that work?! I thought that marks were just aligned.

cyl123

HSC
back in the 80-90s the papers were more difficult so 4u was considered quite hard. The paper always had questions which separated the good and the best in maths in the state.

but now they dumbed down the exam papers so badly since 2000 (prob one of the hardest papers along with 1993), where exams in general have been progressively easier since that year (bar a few exceptions), 4 unit is not very hard. They took out most of the questions that required a bit of ingenuity to solve and replaced them with rather standard questions in hsc exams which is easy to prepare for. The course is not getting any harder with new syllabus changes cos differential equations is a rather easy rote learning based topic.

undalay

HSC
MX2 difficulty is dependant on the marks you want.

If you're only aiming for 70 in MX2 then obviously it is INCREDIBLY easy; much more so than any other subject.

If you're aiming for 90 in MX2, I would still say this is an easy target (because you can just learn the foundations to get 90 and basically skip all the hard questions)

edit; Also more then a third get 90+ so yeaah band 6 is a relatively easy task.

HSC
uhh am i the only one here who actually finds 4 unit hard? :(
I have never been able to do the entire 4u hsc papers without peeking at the solutions, even the more recent easier ones...and someone has got to have found the complex number questions in cambridge hard..lol maybe i'm just hopeless :p Probably because we started with that topic which i thought was a really bad idea, graphs is fun though :D

I think you sort of do need a creative mind though..the last questions of HSC papers somehow always seem to link together the most random topics, and tell you to use the previous part when it doesn't even seem to be relevant

eliseliselise

HSC
yeah i reckon that 4u maths is DEFINITELY overrated... when i was doing it, everyone was like : "4U MATHS?!??! YOU FREAK!! NERD!! BETCHA DON'T HAVE A SOCIAL LIFE!!", my chemistry teacher was like "oh, don't expect to get more than 50% in any test.. that course is impossible!" and rumours such as "oh yeah, my maths tutor did 4u maths in 2004, only attempted question 1 and that scaled up to 90!"

in hindsight, i really do wish that such urban legends didn't exist, as up until the trials i had no idea how competitive 4u maths actually is, how good the rest of the state was and how most of my class had been brainwashed into thinking that as long as they got circa 50% in topic tests, they'd get an E4...

but yeah, sure it's a hard course but it's not impossible & it's SO much better than 2unit/3unit.. don't listen to those urban legends, take control of YOUR destiny!! admittedly i have never had an innate talent for math but i managed to do it, get a great mark, and you probably can too.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Damnit, year after year, it's always the same stuff; "should I do 4U Math?", "help, is it hard?", etc.
I not asking if i should i do it, i know im going to do it. I was just wonder what people think about it and how they found the alleged difficulty.

I mean, i picked up a four unit text and thought 'crap', but i started working through graphs and its easy :) And other topics i think i will find easy once i work on it ;)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Good man, work on and persist with it, and you shall succeed.

Get to Mechanics and then say it's easy. (Though, everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses.)
I can not wait for mechanics, its one of the 4 unit topics im really looking forward to =)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I heard the same thing being said by some year 12's at my school today after they were talking to a teacher about 4 unit maths .
LOL Ron. That guy was actually there. And btw, when you say teacher, that actually conjures up the image of...well....a teacher. That woman can charitably be described as a librarian, who really doesn't do much library work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)