My life is plumetting and I'm letting it. (1 Viewer)

anyscope

HSC
I'm 16, and I don't know what's going on, or how to deal with it. I attend school, am bright , love life, but struggle in my current, self-inflicted hole. I sleep very late, always wake up late, and consequently don't turn up at school, or come late.

I'm falling far behind in school. In mathematics I'm more than 5 chapters behind - I don't know what's happening in physics. I am FAR behind in my ancient history studies, and I have my HSC trials next week. I have homework and assignments due in all subjects, and I just don't do them. I don't understand my lack of even attempting it.

I want more than anything to get these things done and to be on top of it, and I've tried countless times to succeed in that, but every time I just seem to fall back into my slump. I don't want to be the dropkick who never does his work. I don't want to be an unorganised idiot who never turns up at school, but these are exactly what I'm becoming - and I'm letting them.

Someone please help me, before this gets any worse

theMoment

HSC
you're in a mid life crisis !!!!!!

seek urgent medical help

Last edited:

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
I feel a little the same.
Yea see the counsellor.
I did once and they're great - very easy to talk to.

lychnobity

HSC
It's because every time you start doing work, you get stuck (I'm betting within the first 20mins), try to work out what's happening, can't get the right answer/understand, and give up after about 15 mins. Then you go procrastinate to make yourself feel better, and before you know it, it's late, and you go to bed, having wasted the night.

Don't think about doing the work, just do it, don't think about how much crap you have to do either. JUST DO IT.

Willpower - don't let yourself sleep if you're tired, only EVER sleep when your eyes are fresh, if they're burning, dry and closing every 2 mins, don't sleep. Stay up until your body gives you the energy to spring the eyes open. Then sleep.

I had the same issue, still do actually, and that's how I'm getting better.

Tangent

HSC
I was getting that way aswell, but i had a few kicks to help me get going again. You just need people to get on your back and push you. I suggest seeing the school counsellor, a teacher and/or people that you trust and just talk with them and get them to help you?

clue444

HSC
You need some motivation, so set goals for short term and long term. If not, see you're school counsellor, you might be going through depression.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
although i may seem like a cunt but tbh the best advice i can give you is to 'shut the fuck up and just do it' - really, it works. i do it for uni and has been pretty good.

doggieslover

HSC
Mate

I must say I disagree with a few of the posts here.

I suggest you get to bed at a certain time, get eight hours every night. I'm not saying sleep will solve all your problems but it sure helps!

And no, will-power is not the answer. There is no way you can will power your way out of your situation, it's one of the worst, but very common misconceptions. You need help.
You need a motivation.
What do you want to do well for? to prove your parents wrong? That never works... For your own ambition? that is sometimes enough to get a person out of your situation but rarely.

I will quote Virgil my friend, and though translated it sounds corny, it has a lot of wisdom. I wont translate it, the translation will be easy to find on the net, it sounds corny translated:

Omnia vincit amor...

Unless that is your motivation mate nothing will work.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Do you want motivation. Think of all the children in the world who dont even have access to a proper education and who are starving in poverty because of this. They would kill to be in a situation like yours. Remember that you are a very lucky person to have a good secondary education in a country where you have enough food and freedom of rights. I always use this to motivate myself, thinking how lucky I really am and so I grab the opportunity now with both hands and feel grateful for that.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
i don't understand how you're hsc '10, 16 years old and have hsc trials next week? are you accelerating something? and if you're doing as badly as you claim, why were you allowed to accelerate?

you really need to set yourself some goals, even small ones, and work on maintaining them. then moving onto bigger and better ones. do it a step at a time :)

anyscope

HSC
It's because every time you start doing work, you get stuck (I'm betting within the first 20mins), try to work out what's happening, can't get the right answer/understand, and give up after about 15 mins. Then you go procrastinate to make yourself feel better, and before you know it, it's late, and you go to bed, having wasted the night.

Don't think about doing the work, just do it, don't think about how much crap you have to do either. JUST DO IT.

Willpower - don't let yourself sleep if you're tired, only EVER sleep when your eyes are fresh, if they're burning, dry and closing every 2 mins, don't sleep. Stay up until your body gives you the energy to spring the eyes open. Then sleep.

I had the same issue, still do actually, and that's how I'm getting better.
If I could pick a best answer, this would have to be it. Thanks for the advice, I hope I can soon gain this willpower.

i don't understand how you're hsc '10, 16 years old and have hsc trials next week? are you accelerating something? and if you're doing as badly as you claim, why were you allowed to accelerate?

you really need to set yourself some goals, even small ones, and work on maintaining them. then moving onto bigger and better ones. do it a step at a time :)
Thank you for your response, as well. I think you're onto something there with smaller goals, moving onto bigger ones. I realise now perhaps I kept taking on more than I could handle. And yeah, I've been accelerated in History since year 9, at which point I was working quite successfully. This is just a rut I've been in lately...

Anyways, thanks all for your responses. All new replies and advice is welcomed...

kiniki

HSC
i have this problem, among a myriad of others but my 'slump' was mostly affecting my school work. i couldn't study, i couldn't concentrate and i could never sleep. and even tho i couldn't sleep at night, i slept all day when i could! so i went to the GP yesterday and found out i have depression. ima tell my school on monday, and then i gotta go counsellor but i suggest you do the same! just go to the GP and have a rant about how you cant concentrate or go tell your counsellor.

i personally would never go see a counsellor over a doctor but :)
good luck

lychnobity

HSC
If I could pick a best answer, this would have to be it. Thanks for the advice, I hope I can soon gain this willpower.

Thank you for your response, as well. I think you're onto something there with smaller goals, moving onto bigger ones. I realise now perhaps I kept taking on more than I could handle. And yeah, I've been accelerated in History since year 9, at which point I was working quite successfully. This is just a rut I've been in lately...

Anyways, thanks all for your responses. All new replies and advice is welcomed...
Pay attention to what imsopostmodern said.

Now, go find a copy of the syllabus, and tackle every single dot point.

sladehk

le random
HSC
I'm 16, and I don't know what's going on, or how to deal with it. I attend school, am bright , love life, but struggle in my current, self-inflicted hole. I sleep very late, always wake up late, and consequently don't turn up at school, or come late.

I'm falling far behind in school. In mathematics I'm more than 5 chapters behind - I don't know what's happening in physics. I am FAR behind in my ancient history studies, and I have my HSC trials next week. I have homework and assignments due in all subjects, and I just don't do them. I don't understand my lack of even attempting it.

I want more than anything to get these things done and to be on top of it, and I've tried countless times to succeed in that, but every time I just seem to fall back into my slump. I don't want to be the dropkick who never does his work. I don't want to be an unorganised idiot who never turns up at school, but these are exactly what I'm becoming - and I'm letting them.

Someone please help me, before this gets any worse
ive been in similar circumstances, sleeping habits can be fixed. just keep to the time

workwise, just ignore everything and study, follow the syllabus coz thats what they ask stuff on

goodluck!

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Talk to someone about it.

You need to fix your problem, otherwise you'll regret it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)