• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My maths problem.... (To drop or not to drop?) (1 Viewer)

doug003

HSC
Ok so I'd like some of you who have a good grasp on the BOS year 11-12 system to answer...
Well I'm not particularly liking Maths Adv. and its crossed my mind a few times to drop it completely. Today I had a test worth 15% but i was absent cause im sick, my mum talked to my teacher (who happens to be the head of maths) and he wasen't negotiable and is giving me a 0. So tomorrow when i go to school I'm more then likely going to drop maths all together as I am doing 12 units and you only need 10 yes??
So what I'm really asking you guys is can i 'legally' have 10 units in year 11?
and will not doing any form of maths effect my chances of getting into University particularly if i want to do a degree in the way of commerce/business/economics?
also when I am in uni will i struggle on the maths side if I haven't done maths in yr11-12?

Thankyou for reading and I hope you can answer my questions :)

Doug003.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
You HAVE TO do at least 12 units in year 12, so NO you won't be able to drop maths. As well as that, as per my knowledge, commerce and economics have some portion of maths where at least 2 unit maths is necessary.

deswa1

HSC
If your sick, bring a doctor's certificate. I don't think they're allowed to give you 0 if you have a legit reason. Otherwise, complain to the BOS...

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Commerce/Business/Economics usually requires you to have done at least 2 unit (advanced) mathematics....

If you REALLY hate mathematics and cannot handle it, you might want to drop it and just do a bridging course into your desired course....

You cannot have 10 units in Year 11, 12 is the minimum...

IF it is possible, try to change mathematics to another subject but the chances of that being able to go through is like 5%....

Also, it's only 15% in preliminaries, HSC Year 12 is all that counts.

HSC
You HAVE TO do at least 12 units in year 12, so NO you won't be able to drop maths. As well as that, as per my knowledge, commerce and economics have some portion of maths where at least 2 unit maths is necessary.
It's 10 units in year 12 and 12 units in your preliminary year.

HSC
if you are genuinely good at maths, you shouldn't let a zero deter you. Don't drop a subject just because of one lousy teacher.

talisman

HSC
the zero might seem like something but it really isn't. it's only your prelim year. it's next year that really counts. i would recommend to keep doing it. prelim maths is your year to work stuff out even if you don't feel too confident in the beginning. i would say stick to it! as has been mentioned above, i'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have 10 units in Year 11.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Your teacher sounds like a fuckwit

I know thats pretty rude but what he is doing is uncalled for

delian

HSC
N/A
yeah our school made us do at least 12 units in yr11. Remember prelim doesn't count to your atar

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I was 10-15 minutes late to a commerce exam and my excuse that on the way, there was a line of police stopping everyone and asking them random questions about the car, was rejected and I got a zero. Today, I am doing two commerce subjects and enjoy them over any of my other subjects; go figure. :) If you're a capable maths student then just focus on what's ahead. I have to admit though, such a gay teacher :p

lilly luta

HSC
If u're sick, just fill in an illness/misadventure form, you can do the test later. You should be able to go to the principle and complain, they should not give you a 0 =.="
P.S Maths is just too good to drop ;)

Last edited:

lilly luta

HSC
I was 10-15 minutes late to a commerce exam and my excuse that on the way, there was a line of police stopping everyone and asking them random questions about the car, was rejected and I got a zero. Today, I am doing two commerce subjects and enjoy them over any of my other subjects; go figure. :) If you're a capable maths student then just focus on what's ahead. I have to admit though, such a gay teacher :p
Oh no :( that's sad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)