Nagative impacts due to choosing ESL english (1 Viewer)

maiko

the maikoman
HSC
Can choosing ESL English for HSC have a negative impact on a student's UAI?? :mad1:

My teachers encouraged me to choose ESL because i was eligible... But is it true that it can stop me from getting into a good university???

I am really afraid of itz negative impacts... :(
Please help!!!!
hey, i don't think ESL will hinder you from getting into a good university. besides, doing ESL and having english as a second language (+ other eligibility requirements. i.e. residence requirements) will most likely allow you to apply for certain categories in the Educational Access Scheme..which if successful, grants you 5-10 bonus points, depending on the different universities.

i don't know about all the scaling business for ESL, but im sure if you do really well, it wouldn't impact on ur HSC results significantly..

the only negative would probably be as what others have mentioned,, that depending on what course you want to do in uni, you will find that certain courses have english requirements... if, say, u want to get into law, ESL would probably 'hinder' you...

lol, when u said ur teachers 'encouraged' you to do ESL, i remembered when i started year 11 a week after i came to Aust with english as my 2nd language, and when i was choosing my subjects, the subject coordinator saw i ticked the box for English(Advanced). She stared at me and had an 'Are you serious?' expression on her face. and she's like, 'Are you sure you can manage?!'. I felt quite offended by that. Oh i managed, alright, beating all the 47 people-who-had-english-as-their-first-language in a class of 50 (no offence to anyone). It's just that sometimes teachers associate you to stereotypical assumptions if they don't know you. bageshri, i don't know your personal circumstances so its really up to you.. if you feel disadvantaged doing ESL, and feel that you can really excel in standard/ advanced, then by all means, go for it. :)

and besides, i don't see how you can be "ELIGIBLE" to do ESL...:confused:

Joel8945

HSC
Can choosing ESL English for HSC have a negative impact on a student's UAI?? :mad1:

My teachers encouraged me to choose ESL because i was eligible... But is it true that it can stop me from getting into a good university???

I am really afraid of itz negative impacts... :(
Please help!!!!
ESL in VCE doesn't actually effect your ENTER or university ellegibility (I did VCE so Im just using the VCE system)! Say a university requires a 25 for english, then a 30 would be required in ESL! This is simply because ESL is easier to do, but that's it! ESL I think scales down slightly more than english (which I did).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)