Need urgent advice regarding subjects. (1 Viewer)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Hi all,
I'm a bit confused on what I should be doing right now. I received my yearly report looked at my marks. My biggest and most problematic subject at the moment is chemistry with an overall of 30%. I'm doing fine in all other subjects but I'm just not sure what to do about chemistry.

A subject I am doing is modern history which gives me the option to do extension history. So I can either:
-Stay with chemistry and completely devote myself to it until I'm doing well in it. 2 unit safety net however, no free periods and a lot of catching up.
-Pick up a new subject, extension history and aim to achieve consistent marks like other subjects. Some people say 11 units is the best amount to do and the free periods could benefit greatly. Although there is a risk that I won't succeed in it which will eventually put me on 10 units.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought that too, that I needed 2 spare units just in case. But I realised that this subject will never had counted, it was my worse performing, and just a waste of time. At the end of term 2 I dropped it.

How far behind are you in chemistry? You probably won't be able to catch up. I suggest dropping chemistry, you'll have free periods which you can use to improve your other subjects so that you don't have to worry as much.

You don't need to take up history extension, unless you want to. In fact don't unless you enjoy and are really good at the subject.

10 units should be okay. At my school, that means you get 6 75 periods per fortnight as free periods.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
do what you love and are passionate about.

Disfigurate

HSC
If I were in your shoes, then I would definitely drop Chemistry. If you're getting that low, then you're definitely not enjoying the subject so there's really no point doing something you don't enjoy. But it's really up to you. I myself am doing History Extension because I enjoy the subject. If you feel the same way, then definitely pick up History Extension. If not, then once again, there's no point of picking up History Extension. The extra study periods will definitely help a lot but you'd have no backup subjects.

siggy

HSC
Chem is a very rewarding subject if you do enjoy it and feel you can improve. So is history though, so up to you and what you enjoy most.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Hi all,
I'm a bit confused on what I should be doing right now. I received my yearly report looked at my marks. My biggest and most problematic subject at the moment is chemistry with an overall of 30%. I'm doing fine in all other subjects but I'm just not sure what to do about chemistry.

A subject I am doing is modern history which gives me the option to do extension history. So I can either:
-Stay with chemistry and completely devote myself to it until I'm doing well in it. 2 unit safety net however, no free periods and a lot of catching up.
-Pick up a new subject, extension history and aim to achieve consistent marks like other subjects. Some people say 11 units is the best amount to do and the free periods could benefit greatly. Although there is a risk that I won't succeed in it which will eventually put me on 10 units.
Yes it is
/thread

breitil

HSC
I had a similar problem. I'm pretty much failing Chemistry. I got invited to do History Extension and I'm currently trialing it before I'm allowed to drop Chem. I reckon it's best to drop chemistry and focus on a subject you clearly excel at (considering you got invited) and don't try to make up in Chemistry.
With that, you will be down to 11 units. This way, having History Ext is a benefit because if you don't do well, it's a 1 unit subject so it won't count. The thing is, you're going to have to smash all your other subjects for your ATAR.
My problem was that really, I could do well in it, I just never tried because I had no interest. It comes down to you. If you are really interested but having been giving it your best, continue. If you know you aren't going to try to catch up and commit, drop it. My go is whether you are a humanities or a science person (personally I was really a humanities) and you know what you will excel in.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I would drop Chemistry and pick up History extension...

11 units is the optimum level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)