• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New 'I want to buy a laptop' Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The_highwayman said:
so what about the vaio in the link i posted?
Obviously better value than the one she posted, but I haven't heard great things about vaio's (though admittedly my experience only extends to a mate who was eternally bitching about his).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
From memory he found the keyboard layout was too cramped, and sent it back to sony 3 or 4 times to get it repaired for various other things that I don't remember.

gracie007

HSC
ok well i have absolutely no idea what to get now
maybe i should just ask someone in a computer store

Collin

HSC
N/A
gracie007 said:
maybe i should just ask someone in a computer store
Take a few minutes to think about what you just said.

Asking a salesman what he should sell you - isn't that a great idea.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Since you said you wanted a vaio, how about the vaio C25-series.
http://www.sony.com.au/catalog/product.jsp?id=VGNC25GB
http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/vgn-c25g_b/vgn-c25g_b.pdf

it comes in several different colours (white, black, grey, pink, green, blue)

* Microprocessor: Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology, Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5500 (1.66GHz)
* Main Memory: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM. 2 SO-DIMM slots. (The pre-installed memory module uses one)
* Hard Drive: 80GB (HDD Recovery Storage:7GB, C: Remain) Serial ATA, 5400rpm
* Wireless LAN: IEEE 802.11a/b/g
* Optical Drive: Reading Speed: DVD-ROM,DVD+R, DVD-R: x8 / DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD+R DL: x6 / DVD-R DL: x4 / DVD-RAM: x5 / CD-R, CD-ROM, CD-RW: x24
* Optical Drive: Writing Speed: DVD+R, DVD-R,DVD+RW: x8 / DVD-RW: x6 / DVD+R DL,DVD-R DL: x4 / DVD-RAM: x5 / CD-RW: x16 / CD-R: x24
* Graphics Processing Unit: NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7400 notebook graphics processing unit (GPU)
* Total Available Graphics Memory (Max): 319MB
* Display: 13.3" Wide (WXGA: 1280 x 800) TFT colour display (Clear Bright LCD: Single Lamp, Standard View)
It's not the lightest notebook you'll find (2.2kg) but it's not too bad.

(click on the "related links" button at the bottom left of the first link's window for a nice view of the range of colours. you can even have a 3D look at it.)

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Collin said:

Dude, I think it's pretty obvious she needs an Alienware box with a 30" monitor. Anything less just wouldn't meet her needs as a student who uses word processing programs and browses the internet.

Collin

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Dude, I think it's pretty obvious she needs an Alienware box with a 30" monitor. Anything less just wouldn't meet her needs as a student who uses word processing programs and browses the internet.
You know what, that instantly reminds me of this Voodoo 'Crossfire' gaming tower I saw a few months back. Core 2 Duo X6800, 1GB RAM, one X1950XTX (on a CF capable mobo) in a supar 0rsum 'custom-made' Voodoo case. Final price? Around $6,000USD or so. This is prior to the company's acquisition by HP. I wonder if their PCs are still shit expensive nowadays.

But yes, that PC makes all these Vaios look like clearance specials at Woolworths.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
withoutaface said:
The other point that keeps coming up is that people mistake Dell's low price point to mean poor build quality. It actually comes about because there's no middle man in the sale of any Dell products, and that they're only sold (afaik) through Dell's website, over the phone, and at booths they've set up at shopping centres. Other manufacturers can't offer these kinds of discounts even when they sell a percentage of their products directly, because no department store's going to want to stock a laptop that people can purchase for 20% cheaper somewhere else, and no manufacturer can afford to bring their profit margins so low while still giving the stores a cut.
I have a Dell now and it works really well. The problem I have with Dell is that they are pretty thick and heavy and very crappy looking. You could probably get a more powerful Dell for half the price of a sony but it is going to be thicker, heavier and not as good looking.

gracie007

HSC
Collin said:

i only said it so people would be more inclined to actually answer my main question. so far ive only been told about macs, macs, macs, the sony vaio u want is a rip.

gracie007

HSC
withoutaface said:

sorry im not a techy like u
i just thought itd b better if i asked ppl in an IT forum for some advice, rather than just pick a random laptop and hope it works out

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
I have a good little compaq presario B1800.

It's little, does everything I need and all in all isn't too bad.

I'm not a techy, I would like a mac the next time I buy something but my current lappy is good for all the basics.

:uhhuh:

sunny

meh.
HSC
A lot of people have asked the OP to consider a Mac, and the OP doesn't want to get a Mac. If you guys really want to continue talking about Macs you can start another thread to talk about them.

I know I would certainly get annoyed if I came in here with a question and every second reply is about getting a Mac or something related to a Mac, especially if I've already said I don't want a Mac.

The OP wants to know her options:
Mac: not an option, yes really.
Sony/IBM: relatively expensive because you're paying big bucks for the name.
Dell: you can get some good deals here, no middle man.

I think the best way you can shop around for a laptop if you're not sure is to just browse around some big name websites (Apple, Sony, IBM, Dell, Asus, Fujitsu, HP/Compaq etc) and see if theres anything that catches your eye.

Google around for some online product reviews from places like CNet and computer magazine websites. If you can narrow it down to several models then asking whats a good choice in that particular case, it will be easier to compare.

gracie007

HSC
^hey thanks heaps that was helpful. thats what ive been doing but im still not sure.
i dont like macs because i have had a lot of customer service probs with apple in the past, i find macs really hard to control and having to buy windows seperately and not knowing whatll work on it and all that stuff ...plus ive heard bad things about OS X

personally i would rather it just be nice and easy with windows and all the programs im familiar with.

please dont try to convince me otherwise coz im seriously not getting one.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Dude Comparative Specs on a Macbook and a dell.. The macbook is WAY cheaper and way better.

I'm far too lazy to point it out, but go on Dell's site, and go on Apple's site and show the comparative specs, you'll see I'm right.
I meant in comparison to the macbook pro's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)