• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New 'I want to buy a laptop' Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gracie007

HSC
well i should prob add now then that i might (MIGHT) put on AOE or GTA San andreas for my bf and i to play, BUT i wouldnt be playing games at uni, and therefore, would only be playing a game while it is charging up at home.
that change what i should get?

gracie007

HSC
Tulipa said:
Have you any idea what you want yet? Perhaps narrow down your specifics.

-Price range of $1500-$2000 or thereabouts

-No Apple product
-As light/slim as possible, if not then i guess I could deal
-Be able to connect wirelessly to networks (Im at uts so to be able to work here-however i do that)
-DVD/CD RW drive
-bluetooth
-S video out or something similar to connect to tv
-at least 2.5+ battery life
-windows xp , NOT vista
-memory stick slot

thats what i want.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
read my recommendations a few posts back
theyre probably what youre looking for

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
gracie007 said:

-Price range of $1500-$2000 or thereabouts

-No Apple product
-As light/slim as possible, if not then i guess I could deal
-Be able to connect wirelessly to networks (Im at uts so to be able to work here-however i do that)
-DVD/CD RW drive
-bluetooth
-S video out or something similar to connect to tv
-at least 2.5+ battery life
-windows xp , NOT vista
-memory stick slot

thats what i want.
Most laptops spec would run those games easily, so no it wouldn't affect it too much.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Selmer2 said:
I described Yonah core (core architecture) but merom is better! Better efficency more life for the battery.
Fair enough. It's just that:

"intel core (merom) processor (speed in your case doesn't matter) - you don't need a dual core."

- seems to imply:

"[Get a single-core] Intel Core (otherwise known as Merom) processor - because you don't need a dual-core."

But yes, Merom is definitely better.

Selmer2 said:
Would you say she will get more than she/he is expecting for 1500-2000? I say yes.
In general, yes I would agree with that. But it does depend on the manufacturer and the screen size she chooses. If she decided on a 'premium brand' notebook (especially with screen size < 14.1" or > 15.4"), she might not get very decent specs at all for $1,500. However for $2k, she could configure a 15.4" Dell Inspiron with a T7200 Core 2, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, discrete graphics and possibly screen upgrade (which would of course be a total overkill for what she does)!

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
I went computer shopping today in order to compare the Mac and Vaio Latptops.

The vaio i was interested in (the SZ43 posted earlier in this thread) was very light and small, but the quaility of the construction felt very inferior. I felt as if i was going to break the very thin screen (it's about 5-6mm thick) when i was opening or closing it because it had a strong spring action in order to overcome the lack of a latch (to keep the lid closed).
I also found my hand was getting caught on the door of the DVD drive and i felt like i would snap it off.

Overall, i was very unimpressed by it.

Conversely, the macbooks felt absolutely sturdy and reliable. they too lack a latch but have magnets instead to hold the lid shut. I'm definately looking into them more now. I was a little disappointed that the top-of-the-range macbook had a black matte finish as opposed to the shiny finish found on the other two mackbook models.

(on a less related note, david jones is offering 3yrs interest free if you buy any sony products - including a PS3)

sunny

meh.
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Conversely, the macbooks felt absolutely sturdy and reliable.
Pretty much everyone at my workplace is a Mac fan. A month or two after the MacBooks came we got I think 5 or 6 of them in (they were all personal purchases, not for the company).

We've now had 100% failure rate with all the MacBooks in the office - they've all had to go back for repairs of one sort or another - broken keys, the lid not lining up, failing hard disks, discolouring, overheating and some other things.

Of course it could have just been a batch problem, but who knows. Theres always people out there with perfectly working and good MacBooks.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
politik said:
Sony products are all overpriced - and Vaio's offer nothing substantial over other brands.

Either get a tough, reliable x86 like IBM/Lenovo or a powerful x86 like MacBook Pro. Stay away from Acer/Dell/HP/Compaq/i-com, etc.
Only one response to this: lol.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
sunny said:
Pretty much everyone at my workplace is a Mac fan. A month or two after the MacBooks came we got I think 5 or 6 of them in (they were all personal purchases, not for the company).

We've now had 100% failure rate with all the MacBooks in the office - they've all had to go back for repairs of one sort or another - broken keys, the lid not lining up, failing hard disks, discolouring, overheating and some other things.

Of course it could have just been a batch problem, but who knows. Theres always people out there with perfectly working and good MacBooks.
awww nuts.

:(

i'm still torn!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Revision. They find something wrong, fix it for the next batch.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
hey i just got a macbook, and am wondering where i can check to see how much hardisk space/memory etc i have. is that just in macintosh HD? also im currently installing updates etc, is that a necessety? cause i just got the 60gb 13inch macbook and i dont want to use up all the space on it already, what is a nessecity to install and what isnt? btw i love it, first mac ive got and its fantastic, pretty, very easy to use considering ive been with pc/windows all my life, and the fact that it took it upon itself to sync with my wireless internet is fantastic. took my sisters toshiba over a day and plenty of frustrations to set that up. love it.

gracie007

HSC
hey everyone im thinking strongly of getting this one...Toshiba Satellite M110/J00 NB
From dick smith, the price is around $1100, reduced from like $1500, and they throw in an extra 512mb ram to give 1gb ram, and also a free carry bag.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;2136212931;pid;3329;pt;1

What do u reckon? I know its not core 2 duo or anything...but will I really need that for my tasks?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Oh Dear God no.

I've had the absolute worst experience with that computer. Toshiba is horrendous with repairs if the computer is more than eighteen months old and I'm assuming you want to have it for longer than that?

Isn't it also quite a bit heavier than what you wanted too? You can get a lighter computer for around the same price with better specs that isn't a freaking Toshi.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
whats everyones thoughts on a benq?
their designs are quite stylish, but im not sure whether theyre durable like the rest of the other brands or not, since they are relatively new on the market

Collin

HSC
N/A
gracie007 said:
hey everyone im thinking strongly of getting this one...Toshiba Satellite M110/J00 NB
From dick smith, the price is around $1100, reduced from like $1500, and they throw in an extra 512mb ram to give 1gb ram, and also a free carry bag.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;2136212931;pid;3329;pt;1

What do u reckon? I know its not core 2 duo or anything...but will I really need that for my tasks?
So it's a Core Duo T2250, 1GB RAM Toshiba M110 reduced to $1100?

I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Tulipa said:
Isn't it also quite a bit heavier than what you wanted too? You can get a lighter computer for around the same price with better specs that isn't a freaking Toshi.
Link? I'm interested.

You'd be pushed to find an equivalent from even Dell or Acer for that price. As for such an alternative being even lighter, I refuse to believe that. Pretty much all 14.1" WXGA+ laptops hover around 2.4kg. Unless you're telling me you found a similarly spec-ed ultra-portable for $1100.. then I'd have to REALLY ask you to link me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)